Netball scoring, rules and officials
In a game of netball there are two clear ways to score points:
- In open play, if a shot is successfully scored from inside the goal circle, the team gains one point.
- If the team is awarded a technical foul then they will receive a free shot at the net. A successful shot will be awarded with one point.
- Players are not allowed to travel with the ball.
- A team can have up to 12 players but only seven are allowed to play on court.
- Defending players are unable to snatch or hit the ball out of another player's hands.
- A defending player is only allowed to stand beside the player with the ball until it has left their hands.
- A defending player must stand three feet away from the person with the ball.
- An attacking player is unable to hold the ball for more than three seconds.
- Players must remain within their designated zones.
- The team retaining possession after the ball goes out of play have three seconds at the sideline to get the ball back into play.
During a competitive game of netball there are two referees and up to two scorekeepers and timekeepers officiating.