- People in developing countries work very long hours for very low wages - in India, people live on less than £1 per day.
- Low standards of living – there is a lack of money to invest in and improve education, healthcare and infrastructure.
- Working conditions are very poor.
- Lack of employment law means that people are treated badly, eg no rest or food breaks.
- Cash crops such as coffee and cotton are grown for export removing vital land available for local people to grow food to survive.
- Children are forced to work to support their families – 30 million children work in factories in India.