How to become a YouTuber: Huw's story
Meet Huw, 20, and find out about how he's created a social media channel all about his love of gardening. Part of our Bitesize world of work series.
"It still feels a bit surreal to have one of the biggest channels in gardening in the world."
- Huw has only just finished his A-levels but he's one of Britain's most popular gardeners on social media
- His videos show people how to grow vegetables like potatoes, including tips on how to create the beds for seeds to be planted in
- Huw believe it's his love of gardening that makes his videos so popular.
What to expect if you want to be a YouTuber
For more information about getting into making videos, check out CBBC Own It.
Huw publishes his own videos online, managing the content like a business. Working for yourself looks different for each person and each business, but in general it means you:
- run your own business and are responsible for its success
- can decide how, when and where you do your work
- charge an agreed, fixed price for your work
- sell goods or services to make a profit
- can hire people at your own expense to help you or to do the work for you.
The salary and working hours when you own a business can vary enormously but what's most important is that you work hard and love what you do.
You can be both employed and self-employed at the same time. You can work for your employer during the day, for example, and run your own business in the evenings and at weekends. It’s important to contact HMRC for advice if you’re not sure if you’re self-employed.
You can get help with setting up or developing your business, through the government’s business support services, for example, for advice about tax or how to find funding to start your business.
You can find out more about what to expect if you want to get into gardening on the NCS website.
This information is a guide (sources: LMI for All, National Careers Service, GOV.UK)