How to resolve conflict at work
In everyday working life, it’s likely you will experience conflict of some sort. Others may have different ideas or different ways of doing things and people don’t always see eye to eye. Sometimes it’s difficult not to take that personally - but stay professional and keep your working relationships intact.
Top tips to take away
- Whether it’s a disagreement with someone you’re working for, or someone in your team, it’s a good idea to get things resolved as soon as possible
- Have a conversation in person when resolving disagreements - it translates better face-to-face and is easier than trying to read someone’s emotions over email
- Try not to get over emotional - you may say something you might regret
- Avoid being aggressive, abrupt, getting angry and shouting
- Be honest about the situation - if something’s your fault then just say so. Everyone makes mistakes, just apologise and show that you’ve learnt from your mistake
- Separate your business and personal selves: just because someone doesn’t like a business idea or the way you did something, it doesn’t mean they don’t like you as a person.