How to become a digital marketing specialist: Ben's story
Meet Ben, 22, from London, who runs his own influencer and digital marketing agency called Influencer. Part of the Bitesize world of work series.
Never, ever give up!
- Ben's company helps brands grow by linking them with influential content creators on social media
- He got the idea during his A-levels after his success launching a clothing brand when he was just 14
- He persuaded out to celebrities online to wear his clothes and he saw what a positive impact influencers had on his own sales
- Ben's road to success hasn't always been easy, but he didn't give up and stayed committed to making his idea a reality.
What to expect if you want to be a digital marketing specialist
A similar role to Ben’s is a digital marketer. These details apply if you are employed by a company, but could vary if you work for your own company like Ben.
- Digital marketer salary: £20,000 to £50,000
- Digital marketer working hours: 37 to 39 hours per week
- Typical entry requirements: You can get into this job through a university course, a college course, an apprenticeship, or specialist courses run by private training organisations. You could do a higher national diploma or degree in Marketing, Management, Business Studies or Public Relations. You'll usually need two to three A-levels or equivalent to do a degree or higher national diploma. You could complete a college qualification to help you get your first job. Qualifications include a Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Marketing or a Level 3 Diploma in Digital Marketing. You could do a Digital Marketer advanced or degree apprenticeship, or an advanced or higher apprenticeship in Social Media and Digital Marketing. You can find short courses on Digital Copywriting, Marketing and Mobile Marketing through The Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing. You can also study for Specialist Digital Marketing qualifications through The Chartered Institute of Marketing.
This information is a guide (sources: LMI for All, National Careers Service)