Recognise and plot lines y = kx and y = −kx
Home learning focus
In this lesson you will explore straight line graphs that pass through the origin.
This lesson includes:
- one slideshow
- two interactive activities
Created in partnership with Pearson
Work through these slides. You will need to draw some graphs and tables. Using squared paper will make it easier - there may be some in your school Maths workbook.
- Graphs of the form y = kx or y = -kx are plotted as straight lines that pass through the origin (0, 0). k represents any number.
- The greater the value of k, the steeper the graph.
- Graphs of y = kx slope upwards. They have a positive gradient.
- Graphs of y = -kx slope downwards. They have a negative gradient.
There's more to learn
Have a look at these other resources around the BBC and the web.