Comparing numbers of objects
Home learning focus
In this lesson, you will learn to compare objects and numbers within 50.
This lesson includes:
Created in partnership with Twinkl.
More than and less than
The symbol > means more than.
- 10 > 3 means 10 is more than 3
- 20 > 10 means 20 is more than 10
This symbol = means equal to.
- 10 = 10 means 10 is equal to 10
- 23 = 2 tens and 3 ones means 23 is equal to 2 tens and 3 ones
This symbol < means less than.
- 3 < 10 means 3 is less than 10
- 10 < 20 means 10 is less than 20
Compare objects within 50
Look at the slideshow below and answer some questions about how to compare numbers of objects within 50.
Worksheet: Compare objects within 50
Use your understanding of how to compare amounts and numbers to complete these fun activities.
Flash cards: More than and less than
Click on the link below to access the flashcards of numbers 1-50. You can print them off, or draw your own versions on paper.
- Choose two cards.
- Can you compare these numbers using the language more than and less than? (Like, 20 is less than 50)
- Can you draw the < > symbols and place them between the two chosen cards? (Like 20 < 50)
There's more to learn
Have a look at these other resources around the BBC and the web.