How to talk to your child about Covid-19
Coronavirus, as well as the new rules in and out of school, can be a difficult subject to talk to children about. Here, child psychologist Laverne Antrobus explains the best ways you can tackle these topics when talking to your little one.
- Remind them that everything is being done to stop the spread of the virus and to keep them safe.
- Ask what they're thinking and how they're feeling.
- Bring good habits, like regularly washing their hands and coughing and sneezing into their elbow, into everyday conversation.
- Ask what they know, or what they've heard about the virus, so you can respond.
- Don't feel like you need to use words like 'Covid-19' - try talking about 'coughs' or 'germs'.
- Answer their questions as honestly as you can.
- Check to see how your school are talking to the children about Covid-19.
Laverne Antrobus is a Child Psychologist at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust.