Writing a recount
Home learning focus
Learn how to write a recount.
This lesson includes:
Understand what a recount is by watching this video.
Dive deeper into the techniques used to write a fantastic recount by watching this video.
How to write a recount
- Write your recount in the first person because it happened to you!
I zipped up my spacesuit before leaving the rocket.
- Use the past tense because it has already happened.
I had trained for years!
Clear structure. Use paragraphs to separate the beginning, middle and end. Your middle section should include at least three events or experiences.
Recounts are written in the order in which they happened (chronological order). Use time conjunctions like firstly, next, then and finally to show this.
Using description to add detail will enable your reader to build an image in their head.
The slender body of the rocket stood high above the crowd.
- It is important to share your feelings about what happened throughout your recount.
My hands trembled with uncontrollable nerves as the engines ignited!
- Use emotive language so the reader understands your point of view.
I felt like I had run a marathon when I climbed back in the rocket.
You may need paper and a pen or pencil for some of these activities.
Can you fill the gaps in the text?
1) Watch this video about Neil Armstrong.
2) After you have watched the video, write down some key facts you have learned about Neil.
3) Now, imagine it is 1969 and you are Neil. You have just got back into your rocket (the Eagle) after the first ever walk on the Moon! Before you forget, you want to write down memories from your experience.
Write a recount of your astonishing journey.
Remember to include some of the key features of a recount.
In your concluding paragraph, try to:
- pose a question to the reader
look forward to the future
As I look ahead to the next five years, I’d love to make the first ever trip to Mars! Would you like to become an astronaut too?
A newspaper is also a type of recount.
Read this fun 'twisted tale' newspaper report based on the story of Little Red Riding Hood and try the activity.