Describing words in adverts
Home learning focus
To be able to identify describing words (adjectives) and use them in your writing.
This lesson includes:
a introduction to describing words
three activities to do at home
Describing words are also known as adjectives. They describe nouns (the names of things or places).
You can use lots of describing words when describing things. For example:
My sister is funny and kind.
Watch this short video to find out more.
You may need paper and a pen or pencil for some of these activities.
Activity 1: Let's describe
Describing words make your writing more interesting by adding more information. Fill in a describing word which describes the following things:
- A _ _ _ _ _ _ banana
- A _ _ _ _ _ _ cake
- A _ _ _ _ _ _ bed
- A _ _ _ _ _ _ ball
- My _ _ _ _ _ _ sister/brother/friend
Activity 2: Let's describe what we see
Watch this short video and then complete the activity below to describe what you see.
Write three sentences describing the dance.
- Make sure you use capital letters and punctuation correctly.
- Include at least one adjective per sentence.
Here is an example: The dancers moved very quickly.
Once you've written three sentences, you could try performing the dance yourself.
Activity 3: Let's advertise
Imagine you are a sports instructor who is creating a TV or radio advert for a sporting activity. It could be dancing, football, netball or anything else.
- Choose a sport and come up with a sports instructor name.
For example, if you choose dancing and your name is Daryll, you could use the name Dancing Daryll.
- Think about when and where your activity will take place. For example, your sports activity could take place every week in the park.
- Come up with a snappy jingle that links to the sport you've chosen. A jingle is a short statement that can be easily remembered.
For example, Get up, get moving and get happy with Dancing Daryll.
- Write two sentences that describe why people should take part in your sport. Make sure you include plenty of describing words. For example: Dancing is a quick and fun way of getting exercise.
Once you've done all of the above things, it's time to perform your advert.
- Perform your jingle
- Explain who you are and what activity you're promoting.
- Read out your sentences that describe why people should take part.
You can even ask someone at your home to record your advert for you.