Ten fun things to do during the first year of primary school
This article was first published in October 2019
Adam is the deputy headteacher at a primary school and he has some great activities for you and your child to try during their first year in education - including ways to support their learning, creativity, and curiosity.
• Go for a walk around your local area with your child and talk about the different things you can see.
• Count everything like stairs, windows.
• Read books, comics and make up stories together.
• Make a musical instrument out of items lying around at home.
• Get baking – help your child to make a recipe.
• Plant seeds and watch them grow!
• Turn household tasks into a game – this helps your child to develop skills in listening and following instructions.
• Go exploring outdoors.
• Sing songs together – singing helps memory and encourages creativity.
• Share the love – remind children how much you love them every day!