Add numbers with up to 4 digits together
Learn how to add numbers with up to 4 digits together.
- a catch-up quiz
- one video
- three slideshows
To get started, let's see how well you know this topic already. Take the catch-up quiz below to find out.
The column method involves writing one number underneath the other.
Add the numbers, starting from the right.
If the two numbers in a place value column add up to a number greater than 9, you must carry a digit.
If you can add two 3-digit numbers, then you can use the exact same method to add 4-digit numbers together!
Just remember to add on the number that you carry over.
What is 4214 + 3936?
- When writing down sums, separate the numbers into ones, tens, hundreds and thousands.
- List the numbers in a column and always start adding the ones first.
- Estimate first and check afterwards - it's a good idea to estimate a rough answer and then check your actual answer.
- Order doesn't matter - for example, remember that 345 + 129 is the same as 129 + 345.
- Key words - look out for these words in problems: total, sum, altogether, more. They all indicate an addition calculation.
Play Guardians: Defenders of Mathematica to learn more and sharpen your skills on this topic.
There's more to learn
Have a look at these other resources.