Add and subtract 2-digit and 1-digit numbers
Home learning focus
Today's lesson is on adding and subtracting a 2-digit number and a 1-digit number (for example 12 + 7 = 19 or 45 + 3 = 48).
This lesson includes:
- one learning summary
- three activities
Using two-digit numbers
Read these revision pages from Collins to learn some helpful tricks for adding and subtracting 1 and 2-digit numbers. Why not make some notes of your own to help you remember?
Play the audio clip below. Grab a piece of paper and a pencil first - write down the answers quickly - you only have 10 seconds to answer each one!
Have a go at the worksheet below. Print it out or write the answers on a piece of paper.
Roll a number
You will need:
- a dice
- a tray and masking tape, or a big piece of paper and a pen, or chalk and somewhere outside to draw on - ask permission!
- Draw some boxes or make them with tape on your tray
- Add a 2-digit number to each box
- Roll the dice onto the squares
- Add the number and the number on the die
- Keep rolling!
Now try subtracting the number on the die from the 2-digit number.
Activity from Gratnells Learning Rooms.
Play the addition and subtraction level of Karate Cats Maths - can you collect a cool new costume for your cats?
There's more to learn
Have a look at these other resources around the BBC and the web.