Text to Donate Terms
Thank you for choosing to donate to The Big Night In.
How to Donate by Text
You can donate to The Big Night In by texting the below Keyword to the relevant number (the ‘Short Code’). Each text message you send will result in a donation to The Big Night In of the amount listed in the ‘Donation Value’ column. For example, by texting “HOPE” to 70210, you will donate £10. All donations to The Big Night In will be split equally between Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need. Donations will appear on your phone bill as a payment to “COMIC RELIEF”; Comic Relief will receive donations and 50% of donations will be paid to BBC Children in Need.
The following Keywords and Short Codes allow donations to The Big Night In:
|Keyword||Shortcode||Donation value||Live date||Closing date|
|HOPE||70205||£5||20/04/2020||23:59 on 01/06/2021|
|HOPE||70210||£10||20/04/2020||23:59 on 01/06/2021|
|HOPE||70220||£20||20/04/2020||23:59 on 01/06/2021|
|HOPE||70230||£30||20/04/2020||23:59 on 01/06/2021|
Privacy Notice for Text to Donate
Terms and Conditions
- As well as the relevant Donation Value, each text message will incur your standard network message charge (based on your service provider rates). This service can only be used from a UK mobile and does not include Channel Islands or Isle of Man mobile networks. If you donate using this service from a UK mobile abroad you may incur additional network charges.
- The following mobile network operators have waived their charges in order to allow the full Donation Value of the reply confirmation text message (described below) to go entirely to support Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need: 3, O2, EE, Sky, Virgin and Vodafone. In addition, HMRC has confirmed that no VAT should be charged on these donations.
- You can send a text message between 10:00 on the date the Keyword and Short Code combination go ‘Live’, as listed in the above table, and 23.59 on the Closing Date, as listed in the above table. Please ensure you spell the Keyword correctly and send your text message to the correct Short Code, however, if we, acting reasonably believe you are trying to donate, we will still take the donation even if you entered the Keyword incorrectly. Alternatively, we may instead send you a message to let you know that your donation has failed. The message we send to you in this instance is not a confirmation message so, whilst you will be charged your standard network message charge, you will not be charged the Donation Value and will not be donating to The Big Night In. You will not have been added to any marketing databases if we send you this follow up text unless you have expressly requested to be.
- If your Keyword and Short Code are valid and your text message is received within the specified times and dates, you will be charged the applicable Donation Value via reply confirmation text message(s) and your donation will go to The Big Night In to be split between Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need (with the exception of Vodafone customers and some EE customers, who will be charged the Donation Value directly via their bill). It may take some time for you to receive the confirmation text message. Please wait until you receive it. Unless a cap applies (see below) each valid text you send will result in a charge of the Donation Value plus your standard network message charge, regardless of when you receive your confirmation text message. Any repeat texts will result in repeat donations.
- If you’re a UK taxpayer, we (Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need) can claim an equal share of an additional 25p in Gift Aid from the Government for every £1 you donate. We’ll send you a follow up text to ask if you want us to claim Gift Aid on your donation. If you follow the link in our follow up text you’ll be taken to The Big Night In website to complete the Gift Aid declaration - please read it carefully. Find out more about Gift Aid here. We won’t automatically add you to any marketing databases when we send you this follow up text.
- If by mistake you text us with the word “GIFT” or “GIFT AID” rather than following the above process, we may send you a message to notify you of the error and redirecting you to the above process again. You will not automatically be added to any marketing databases if we send you this text.
- If your Keyword or Short Code is invalid, or if your message is received outside the times and dates of the service, you may not receive a confirmation text message but may still be charged your standard network message charge. If no confirmation text message is received, you will not be charged the Donation Value as you will not be donating to The Big Night In. However, if you receive the confirmation text message then you may still be charged the Donation Value, in which case your donation will still be made to The Big Night In.
- You can donate up to a maximum total donation of £40 using the same Keyword and Short Code each day from the same mobile telephone number (midnight to midnight). If you try to donate more than that in a day using the same Keyword and Short Code from the same mobile, you will still be charged your standard network rate, but will not be charged the Donation Value for a confirmation text message and will not be donating to The Big Night In. For the avoidance of doubt this maximum is placed on the text messages sent with the same Keyword to the same Short Code. Also note that pre-paid customers who are trying to donate £20 or £30 but have insufficient credit, may only be charged £10 or £20 (as applicable).
- If you would like to contribute a different amount to The Big Night In, you can donate online.
- All supporters must obtain permission from the bill payer before sending a text message. If you are under 16 years old, you must have your parent or guardian’s permission to send a text donation to us.
- Comic Relief, BBC Children in Need, the BBC and their sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any telephone network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any text being lost or not properly received.
- The Big Night In is a joint initiative between Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need. All donations received towards the initiative will be split equally between Comic Relief (which is the trading name of Charity Projects, registered charity in England and Wales 326568 and in Scotland SC039730) and BBC Children in Need (Registered charity in England and Wales 802052 and in Scotland SC039557).
- To find out more about the charity Comic Relief, or if you have questions about this service, please go to www.comicrelief.com or call the Comic Relief Reception on 020 7820 2000 (Monday to Friday 9:00 – 17:00). Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider’s call package.
- To find out more about BBC Children in Need, please go to bbc.co.uk/pudsey. or call the BBC Children in Need Helpdesk on 0345 609 0015 (Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00). Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider’s call package.
- The text service is provided by Fonix Mobile Limited. If you have any queries regarding the service, please contact Fonix at the following email address: email@example.com or write to Fonix Mobile Limited, 23 Heddon Street, London, W1B 4BQ or call on the following Helpline Number: 0208 114 7001 (Monday to Friday 9:00 - 17:30).
- Comic Relief, BBC Children in Need and the BBC, reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time. Any updates will be posted on this website so please check back regularly. The governing law is that of England and Wales.