David Walliams prize draw
Your chance to have your name or a name of your choice featured in David Walliams’ new book
The prize draw will close for entries at 2pm on Thursday 30th April 2020
This is your chance to have your name or a name of your choice featured in David Walliams’ new book! If you are the lucky winner, you will also receive a video call to discuss the name with David as well as a signed and framed illustration by the book’s illustrator, Tony Ross. But that's not all, you'll also receive a signed back catalogue of books and the opportunity to meet David for tea and huge amounts of cake in London, later in 2020. So what are you waiting for?
How to enter
Entry to the prize draw is by texting the keyword BOOK to short code 81155. Text messages cost your standard network message charge (based on your service provider rates – please check with your provider). Entrants will then receive a free bounce-back message from 62345 informing them that a voluntary donation of £10 to The Big Night In will be taken 60 minutes after the entry text was received, unless they reply to 62345 with the word CANCEL before 60 minutes has passed.
Full terms and conditions
For information on how we use your personal data please see the Privacy Notice below.
1. The prize draw will be open at 5pm on 23rd April 2020 and close at 2pm on Thursday 30th April 2020.
2. Entry to the prize draw is by texting the keyword BOOK to short code 81155. Text messages cost your standard network message charge (based on your service provider rates – please check with your provider). Entrants will then receive a free bounce-back message from 62345 informing them that a voluntary donation of £10 to The Big Night In will be taken 60 minutes after the entry text was received, unless they reply to 62345 with the word CANCEL before 60 minutes has passed.
3. For the avoidance of doubt, opting out of the voluntary donation will not affect your entry into the prize draw.
4. The prize draw is open to all residents of the UK (please note the text service to enter the prize draw does not include Channel Islands or Isle of Man mobile networks). The prize draw is open to those aged 18 or over, except staff members of Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need (the two charities behind the new initiative, The Big Night In) , of BBC Group, of any of the prize providers, and their close relatives, or anyone connected with the prize draw. Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested.
5. Please ensure you spell the Keyword correctly and send your text message to the correct Short Code within the time period that the prize draw is specified as being open. If your short code is invalid, or your text message is received outside the specified time period you will not receive a bounce-back message but may still be charged your standard network message charge. You will not be donating to The Big Night In nor will you have entered the prize draw. If you enter the Keyword incorrectly but we, acting reasonably, believe that you are trying to enter the prize draw, you will be entered into the draw and will be sent the free bounce-back message about the voluntary donation, as described above.
6. You may enter the prize draw a maximum of four times a day. If you try to enter more times than this from the same mobile telephone number in one day, you will still be charged your standard network rate, but will not be entered into the prize draw and will not be donating to The Big Night In. You will receive a free bounce-back message regarding the donation each time, and if you wish to opt out of the donation you need to respond to each such message received from 62345 with the word CANCEL.
7. If you’re a UK taxpayer, Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need can claim an equal share of an additional £2.50 in Gift Aid from the Government for every £10 donation you make. If you elect to make the donation by not opting out within 60 minutes, we’ll send a follow up text to ask if you want us to claim Gift Aid on your £10 donation. If you follow the link in our follow up text you’ll be taken to The Big Night In website to complete the Gift Aid declaration - please read it carefully. Find out more about Gift Aid here . We won’t automatically add you to any marketing databases when we send you this follow up text.
8. There is only ONE prize available to be won. The timing of each element of the prize will depend on the wider UK situation and any restrictions in place in the coming months:
- The opportunity to have their name (or the name of someone of their choice) feature in David Walliams’ next book. David Walliams will ultimately retain all rights as to creative decision making around the name and reserves the right to reject any names that are not suitable to the nature of his work. David will also own all rights in the name and character in respect of the book and the winner waives any moral rights they may have in respect of the same. David nor the book publisher are required to credit the winner in any way in connection with the book.
- We’ll host a virtual call between the winner and David Walliams for David to discuss the new story. We reserve the right for a representative of Comic Relief and/or BBC Children in Need to be part of and to record the virtual call.
- Signed illustration by Tony Ross: the winner will receive a signed, framed copy of an original Tony Ross artwork. Free delivery to a UK address. Comic Relief will endeavour for these to be delivered to the winner by the end of June, subject to any wider restrictions in the UK.
- Meet and Greet over tea with David Walliams later in 2020: This will be for the winner and one guest, and will be held at a London venue to be confirmed and at a date to be mutually agreed between David Walliams, the winner and Comic Relief. Return travel to London included. Any accommodation in London is not included. Any under 18’s must be accompanied by a parent and/or guardian.
- Signed back catalogue of David Walliams books: This will be delivered to the winner’s home address within the UK. Comic Relief will endeavour for these to be delivered to winner by the end of June, subject to any restrictions in the UK.
9. The winner will be selected using an independent randomised draw system and contacted on Friday 1 May 2020 by Comic Relief (for The Big Night In) by telephone. If the winner does not respond in order to claim the prize by the end of the next working day, Comic Relief (for The Big Night In) reserves the right to contact the next eligible winner (and in this case the original winner forfeits their claim to the prize), and so on until a winner is found.
10. The prize is as stated. There is no cash alternative and the elements of the prize cannot be sold or transferred in any circumstances. For the avoidance of doubt, unless specified above, no other costs or expenses will be covered by Comic Relief, BBC Children in Need, the BBC, or any of the prize providers.
11. Any accessibility or dietary requirements for the winner or their guest need to be disclosed to Comic Relief within two weeks from notification of win. The winner and their guest may need to adhere to Health & Safety requirements imposed by Comic Relief, BBC Children in Need, BBC or any venue associated with the prize.
12. Comic Relief, BBC Children in Need and BBC’s announcement as to who the winner is, is final. No correspondence relating to the prize draw will be entered into.
13. The winner and their guest agree to take part in any reasonable post-prize draw publicity with Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need (for The Big Night In) if required.
14. The prize is subject to change. Descriptions of the prize are provided without a warranty of any kind. In no event shall Comic Relief, BBC Children in Need, the BBC or any prize provider be liable for any claim demand or damages caused to an entrant by reason of a description of the prize being inaccurate, incomplete, or for the prize being otherwise in any way different to the entrant’s expectations. Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need reserve the right to disqualify any entries that breach these rules, are in any way fraudulent or (in Comic Relief or BBC Children in Need’s reasonable opinion) will bring themselves, The Big Night In, BBC or the prize provider into disrepute. Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need reserve the right to cancel the prize draw at any stage, if deemed necessary in their joint opinion, or if circumstances arise outside their control.
15. Comic Relief, BBC Children in Need, the BBC and each of their sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any telephone network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any text not being properly received.
16. The Big Night In is a joint initiative between Comic Relief, which is the trading name of Charity Projects, registered charity number 326568 (England and Wales) SC039730 (Scotland), and BBC Children in Need, registered charity number 802052 (England and Wales) and SC039557 (Scotland). All donations to The Big Night In will be split between the two charities. If you would like to contribute a different amount to The Big Night In than is possible via Text to Donate, you can donate online on The Big Night In website . To find out more about The Big Night In, or if you have questions, please go to the website or get in touch here .
17. To find out more about Comic Relief, please go to the website , or call the Comic Relief Reception on 020 7820 2000 (Monday to Friday 9:30 – 17:30). Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider’s call package. To find out more about BBC Children in Need please go to the website , or call the BBC Children in Need Helpdesk on 0345 609 0015 (Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00). Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider’s call package.
18. This prize draw is operated by Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need with broadcast promotion by the BBC. The prize is provided by:
Harper Collins Publishers Ltd, Westerhill Road Bishopbriggs, Glasgow. G64 2QT
Comic Relief - 89 Albert Embankment London SE1 7TP
The governing law is that of England and Wales.
19. The text service, randomised draw and donation service is provided by Fonix Mobile Limited on behalf of Comic Relief (for The Big Night In). If you have any queries regarding the service, please contact Fonix at the following email address: email@example.com or write to Fonix Mobile Limited, 23 Heddon Street, London, W1B 4BQ or call on the following Helpline Number: 0208 114 7001 (Monday to Friday 9:00 - 17:30).
20. This prize draw is subject to the BBC's code of conduct for prize draws, found here.
Your information (mobile phone number and amount of donation) will be collected by Fonix Mobile Limited on behalf Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need and will only be used to process your donation, provide receipts, process any refunds as necessary and in order to analyse income of the Big Night In initiative. If you are a randomly selected as the winner, Fonix will share your information with Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need in order for them to contact you to let you know you have won and to administer the prize. It will not be used for any other purposes. Our lawful basis for this processing is that it is in each of our legitimate interests (and we don’t believe this unreasonably impacts on your rights or freedoms). Any additional information provided as part of the Gift Aid declaration (first name or initial, surname, address and postcode) will only be used for the purpose of Comic Relief and BBC Children in Need’s legitimate interests of claiming Gift Aid and in order to help analyse income to The Big Night In.
The BBC relies on its legitimate interests in increasing our audience engagement with broadcast prize draws, to provide interesting on-air content and assisting with fundraising for our charity partners, such as BBC Children in Need and Comic Relief. The BBC doesn’t believe this unreasonably impacts on your rights and freedoms. The BBC will also keep the winner’s details on file for two years after the Prize in order to comply with its legal and regulatory requirements as broadcast promoter. To find out more about how the BBC will use your data please see here.