N/A
A clapper board held in front of Phoebe Waller-Bridge while filming FleabagBBC/Two Brothers/Luke Varley

All the reasons why we'll miss Fleabag

We're in mourning - and not just for the sexy priest

Harvey Day

*Spoiler alert, in case you're still catching up. You can watch it all here*

Fleabag, the dark and heartbreakingly funny comedy drama from Phoebe Waller-Bridge, has come to an end, apparently for good (but we can always hope). In just two short seasons we’ve seen Fleabag battle it out with her deliciously evil godmother, wrestle with the torment of losing her best friend, and even get busy with a particularly hot member of the clergy.

The first season won accolades, including a BAFTA for its creator and star, and the second season has seen some equally rave reviews

Right now we’re not exactly sure how we’re supposed to live in a Fleabag-free world, but these are some of our tear-stained thoughts on what we’re going to miss the most…

1. The sexy priest

One of the biggest changes for the second season of Fleabag was the arrival of Irish actor Andrew Scott who - for better or worse - will be known for years to come as ‘the sexy priest’. The 42-year-old, previously best known for his role in another BBC drama Sherlock, had fans swooning, with columns and memes (see below) devoted to him.

Though there has been some debate about whether the character is a little more problematic.

And Andrew, speaking to The Guardian, revealed the role was one he’d always wanted to play. “This is uncharted territory for me, and that’s what I’m always looking for,” he said. “It’s a character I’ve never got to play, and it’s such a big part of my life. Sex…”

2. The turbulent love affair (between sisters)

Fleabag, while it dealt with a whole host of relatable problems, was most interested in the struggles that come with relationships, sex, lust and love. And, in many ways, the turbulent love affair Fleabag shared with her sister Claire, played by Sian Clifford, was one of the most important relationships in the show.

And fans picked up on this difficult but ultimately unbreakable bond between the two sisters.

3. Martin being the worst person in the world (again)

Fleabag was never exactly a comfortable show to watch. The programme displayed the very worst of humanity, perfectly encapsulated in the character of Martin. Played by US actor Brett Gelman, Martin always found a way to be the worst person in the world, whether he was trying to get off with Fleabag behind his wife’s back or getting a well-deserved punch to the face.

Martin, we might not like you but, I suppose, we’ll miss you too.

4. Olivia Colman’s one-liners

It’s no surprise that Oscar winner Olivia Colman always found a way to steal the show with her incredibly cutting one-liners. From the very first episode, fans fell in love with her role as the passive-aggressive godmother from hell. I mean what type of ‘friend’, at the memorial dinner for someone’s mother, says: “It’s such a sad, sad day… I’ll get the champagne!”

5. Feeling like we’re in on the joke

Even though she’s pretty, witty and from a clearly posh family, we somehow feel like Fleabag’s concerns are our concerns. Fleabag is troubled, makes mistakes and is relatably flawed. And she built this connection with the audience with her carefully judged asides to camera, something fans always enjoyed.

6. That statue (so horrible but...)

One of the lasting images of Fleabag has got to be the ugly headless statue she pinched from her godmother back in season one. The gold sculpture has come in handy - standing in for a businesswoman of the year award - until Fleabag finally decides to return the artwork as a wedding gift to her dad and soon-to-be stepmother.

But, of course, being a rule-breaker to the end, Fleabag stole it back once she found it was based on her dead mother.

We expected nothing less, Fleabag, we’ll miss you.

Fleabag is available to watch on BBC Three iPlayer

Read more:

Join the discussion

Get involved and have your say by leaving a comment

Comments

This entry is now closed for comments.

• Comment number 15. Posted by Jeremy

11 Apr 2019 21:22
    Curb-Your-Enthusiasm-lite. Not sure which makes me cringe more, Fleabag or that Phil J "dear sensitive souls" comment".
  • Comment number 14. Posted by AdamTrask

11 Apr 2019 20:32
    I had doubts about watching Fleabag but thought I'd try the first episode. Well I was hooked and binge watched both series. Laughter and tears in equal measure. Sometimes she made me cringe and seconds later I wanted to hug her and tell her she was a good person. It was a perfect blend of good writing, perfect casting and intangible magic. As a 60+ male I was sure this wasn't for me but I'm glad it was.
  • Comment number 13. Posted by Phil J

11 Apr 2019 17:23
    An intelligent, moving, hilarious examination of the human condition. The realism of some of the dialogue was exceptional. Yes, dear sensitive souls, lots of people do swear that much in the real world. It's not just trying to be big, clever or funny by swearing, it's just being honest about how certain people genuinely talk.
    With regard to the fourth wall, the final scene had me wondering if we were in fact playing the memory of Boo; fleabag's confidante, partner-in-crime, conscience and joke-sharer. I've not seen anyone else with this analysis as yet, but it fits for me.
  • Comment number 12. Posted by Gedfan

11 Apr 2019 15:52
    I consider myself pretty liberal but watched 5 minutes of this rubbish - before deciding the language and sexual references are pretty gross, in my opinion.

Obvious the BBC is desperate for another income stream to make up for the dent from Top Gear etc.
  • Comment number 11. Posted by Cybercossack

11 Apr 2019 15:10
    quality over quantity rather than the endless churn of formulaic US sit coms with 200 episodes and 3 jokes
  • Comment number 10. Posted by Barney McGrew did it

11 Apr 2019 14:05
    Another huge success for the BBC. Or so they tell me. What is it?
  • Comment number 9. Posted by profpaul

11 Apr 2019 7:57
    Original, witty and outstandingly played; but spoilt for me by excessive use of bad language (irony: use of the words, even asterisked, is blocked as "profanity" from these posts). Occasional use has a real role or purpose, but my problem with Fleabag is that is gratuitous: it's not necessary; it would have been just as funny without so much use of bad language. So many comedians simply use F or C to get a laugh. Not exactly Oscar Wilde is it?
  • Comment number 8. Posted by Peter Adams

10 Apr 2019 12:16
    Brilliantly conceived, wonderfully played. Laughed, cried, got angry, felt sad, all at once, seemingly. Just superb! It's probably right to finish it here, I just can't wait to watch it all again in a few months. Just please, please don't let the Americans get hold of it, Phoebe; however much cash they chuck at you!
  • Comment number 7. Posted by bagwash

9 Apr 2019 21:54
    As an 85 year old male have I enjoyed the humour and pathos of Fleabag 1 and 2 but do people in Ealing really say 'f*** you' instead of 'ciao' or 'see you later'? Just asking.
  • Comment number 6. Posted by Kevin

9 Apr 2019 18:00
    Is that Game of Thrones still on?