We’ve all got a smartphone and a story to tell. So technically we could all be mobile journalists, right? Turns out you might need some other bits and pieces too.
In this week’s podcast we speak to two journalists who have both tried the mojo (mobile journalism) way to make completely different kinds of films.
"There are lots of people who didn’t think they could do it and all of a sudden they have an amazing talent as a video journalist, and the smartphone unlocked it for them."– Dougal Shaw
Eleanor Mannion is a programme-maker with the Irish state broadcaster RTE. Earlier this year she shot a full-length documentary, The Collectors, entirely on her smartphone, which RTE says is a first for a European broadcaster.
They both share their experiences:
- The pros and cons of being a mobile journalist
- How it’s different to conventional newsgathering and programme-making
- What bits of kit you could put in your mojo bag
- Apps they’ve found to be useful for filming and editing
- Mobile journalism versus traditional filming methods