Lara has worked on 50:50 since 2019 and was previously the 50:50 Project Lead. She has supported hundreds of BBC teams to reach the 50:50 target, and led the rollout of the project's expansion into disability and ethnicity monitoring in 2020. Lara joined the BBC in 2009 as a Journalism Trainee and has since worked on domestic and international News outlets across the BBC and at Sky News, with a focus on underserved audiences.
Miranda is the 50:50 External Partners Lead and was an Assistant Editor at Live Political Programmes based at BBC Westminster. She was involved with 50:50 from early on, increasing the number of women from political journalism on air. She has produced many TV Election Debate programmes. Recently she has been a programme output editor at Radio 4’s World at One and PM programmes and was previously an Assistant Editor at the Today programme.
Kath is the 50:50 Project Internal Lead, supporting 700 BBC teams to improve diverse representation. She is currently on loan to 50:50 from BBC Radio Wales, where she is a 50:50 champion and a Senior Content Producer across daytime output. Kath started her broadcasting career in commercial radio, and has now worked for the BBC for almost 20 years, mainly as a Radio Producer for news phone-in programmes and entertainment shows.
Daniel manages the technical delivery of the 50:50 data Tracker. While at BBC Design & Engineering and BBC Newslabs, he created many innovative digital tools for the BBC’s international newsrooms and language services, focusing on language and speech technology and data movement. Prior to that he worked as a sound engineer for BBC World Service Radio and TV, as well as Concert Manager for the BBC Proms since 1998.
Hewete joined the BBC in 2008 as a journalism trainee and has spent most of her career in the World Service. She’s produced for BBC Africa both from London and as a field producer across Africa. She recently spent two years based in Nairobi as Training and Talent Manager for the region and has sat on the steering committee for BBC Global Women in News since 2014.
Julia joined 50:50 in 2018 to help drive the early expansion, and now works on project planning and strategy. She’s worked in various roles at the BBC since 1999 including at BBC Learning, BBC Radio and BBC Audiences. Currently she runs the BBC News Election Results service as well as being part of the 50:50 team.
Sean leads 50:50’s work on increasing the representation of disabled contributors on media content. He oversees Reframing Disability, an initiative run in partnership with Media Trust. He is also a senior journalist and correspondent for BBC News and has reported for Panorama. Prior to joining the BBC, Sean was a reporter for Sky News, and Political Editor at TalkSPORT radio.
Sharmin Rahman leads 50:50’s work to increase the representation of disability within the BBC’s content and output. She also works as a Senior Resourcing Advisor and aims to encourage and influence diverse hiring in recruitment. Sharmin’s passion to drive change comes as she lives with a non-visible disability. She wants to see authentic portrayals that truly reflect our audiences.
Ros is the presenter of Outside Source on BBC News Channel and BBC World News. He's the founder of 50:50 and guided the project from a month-long experiment in early 2017 to the global initiative it has become.
Nina has worked on 50:50 since 2019 and has spearheaded multiple initiatives to support the BBC's aspiration that its on-air representation reflects society. Nina is also a journalist and returns to the newsroom occasionally to edit the BBC's National TV Bulletins. She has worked in media her whole professional career including at The Sunday Times and The Sunday Telegraph. Nina is featured in the Global Diversity List 2020’s Top 20 Diversity Professionals and was highly commended at the Asian Women Achievement Awards 2020.
50:50 Alumni and Ambassadors
Yasmin supported close to 700 BBC teams to help them reach equal representation of women in content. As a Senior Journalist, she worked for BBC regional, national and international news outlets prior to joining 50:50, and her experience of leading culture change included roles at the BBC Academy’s Creative Leadership Programme and BBC Global Women in News.
Angela was the 50:50's External Partners Manager and a senior journalist and deputy editor at bbc.com. Prior to joining the BBC she worked as a reporter covering business and economics for newswires and The Wall Street Journal in Europe, the US and East Africa.
Chris led and oversaw the Reframing Disability in News partnership between the BBC’s 50:50 Project and the Media Trust. Through his management, the initiative created training for both BBC journalists and potential experts who could contribute to BBC output. Prior to Reframing, Chris worked for the National Autistic Society, using his own experience as an autistic creative to train West End venues and others to hold autism-friendly events and performances.
Sarah was External Partners Manager in the inaugural phase of 50:50 and now supports our marketing, communications and partnerships strategy. She is an assistant editor with the BBC News digital video team, and has travelled considerably covering major news events including for BBC World News, World Service radio, and at the Washington DC bureau.
Pavail supported the expansion of 50:50 across new industry sectors and partner organisations. He is also a Senior Resourcing Adviser at the BBC, working with technology teams.
In the news
- The rise and rise of the 50:50 ProjectFIPP, 17 November 2021
- BBC announces launch of next 50:50 Challenge monthFIPP, 19 October 2021
- The Money Pages and What Mortgage sign up to 50:50 The Equality ProjectThe Money Pages, 15 October 2021
- British Fashion Council announces partnership with 50:50 The Equality ProjectFashion United, 2 September 2021
- Not just gender: Findings from BBC’s 50:50 Project on ethnicity, disability inclusionWorld Association of News Publishers, 30 July 2021
- How can a society of gender equality be realised? (in Japanese)The Asahi Shimbun, 11 June 2021
- WomenX Impact Summit, Lara Joannides: "Women, don't be afraid to make your voices heard"Think Italia, June 2021
- Male voices dominate the news. Here’s how journalists and female experts can turn this aroundThe Conversation, 5 May 2021
- EBU joins 50:50 Equality ProjectEBU, 30 April 2021
- ABC meets the 50:50 ChallengeABC, 28 April 2021
- Energy leaders join forces to tackle gender disparity across industryEnergy Live News, 28 April 2021
- Drapers & emap forge ahead in BBC’s 50:50 Equality Projectemap, 22 April 2021
- Journey to equality: An analysis of the 50:50 ChallengeDigital Context Next, 22 April 2021
- Nina Goswami: taking the lead on diversity at the BBCWelcome to the Jungle, 4 February 2021
- Representation of women on the BBC increased during pandemic, says broadcasterYahoo News, 23 December 2020
- Lara and Sharmin from BBC's 50:50 Equality ProjectBeans Media Diary, 17 November 2020
- BBC 50:50 Equality Project: Legal Sector LaunchInterLaw Diversity Forum, 12 November 2020
- What Companies Who Want More Diversity Can Learn From the BBCBehavioural Scientist, 9 November 2020
- BBC’s pioneering 50:50 Project expanded to include ethnicity and disabilityThe Voice, 23 October 2020
- BBC shows will monitor the ethnicity and disability of guest contributorsThe Telegraph, 22 October 2020
- BBC pushes to improve diversityLinkedIn News, 22 October 2020
- BBC extends 50:50 project beyond genderBroadcast, 22 October 2020
- Tim Davie wants programme makers to monitor ethnicity and disability of on-screen contributorsDaily Mail, 22 October 2020
- BBC expands representation drive for expert contributorsBBC News, 22 October 2020
- University of Westminster Film BA students collaborate with BBC on expansion of pioneering 50:50 Equality ProjectUniversity of Westminster, 22 October 2020
- In conversation with Lara Joannides, 50:50 Project LeadForward Ladies, 20 July 2020
- How the BBC gender balanced… everything, everywhere, fastForbes, 10 July 2020
- Strategies for creating systemic, equitable change from the bottom upTidal Equality, July 2020
- Equal Measures - the 50:50 StoryInclusivity Now, Children's Media Conference, July 2020
- Preview: Equal Measures - The 50:50 StoryInclusivity Now, Children's Media Conference, July 2020
- 50:50 steps to diversityWomen's Café podcast, 23 June 2020
- The project that has increased diversity in BBC programmes (in Spanish)El Pais, 16 May 2020
- BBC expands 50:50 gender equality project worldwideFair Play Talks, 4 May 2020
- More BBC news teams reach equal on-air gender representation despite Covid-19 crisisPress Gazette, 29 April 2020
- The 50:50 Challenge: will your organisation join?d&i leaders, 29 April 2020
- BBC continues global expansion of the 50:50 Project to help increase female representation in the mediaBBC Media Centre, 29 April 2020
- Proportion of teams reaching BBC's 50:50 gender balance target increasesIrish Times, 28 April 2020
- BBC journalist Nina Goswami: "Journalism must escape its own echo chamber" (in German)DerStandard, 1 April 2020
- The 50:50 program advocated by a BBC presenter and liked by viewers (in Japanese)Asahi Times, 10 March 2020
- Women's parity in the news: the BBC is getting there, and where are we? (in French)RTBF, 21 February 2020
- Getting to 50:50Working Mums, 4 February 2020
- We are all biased, so how can we make journalism more inclusive?Medium, 19 December 2019
- The 50:50 Project - Increasing women's representation in the BBC's journalismUniversity of Oxford podcast, 11 November 2019
- Worklife 101: Diversity trackingWorklife, 22 July 2019
- Tackling the underrepresentation of women in media Harvard Business Review, 6 June 2019
- The BBC challenged its staff to achieve 50% women contributors… and it's workingGender Avenger, 17 May 2019
- The BBC’s 50:50 Project shows equal gender representation in news coverage is achievableNieman Lab, 16 May 2019
- How women are finally getting an equal voice on news showsWashington Post, 15 May 2019
- BBC claims success in efforts to improve on-air gender balanceThe Guardian, 15 May 2019
- The BBC announces results of 50:50 Project which reveals big increase in female representationBBC Media Centre, 15 May 2019
- YLE - In selection of interviewees, the goal is gender equality (in Finnish)YLE, 21 January 2019
- How we're tackling gender imbalanceBBC Future, 17 January 2019
- This journalist created a system to make sure more female experts got on airPoynter, 7 December 2018
- BBC seeks gender balance on expert contributors with 50:50 ChallengeBBC Media Centre, 2 April 2018
- How We're Bringing Gender Equality To BBC Expert GuestsHuffington Post, 2 April 2018
- Impact Report 2021The latest challenge results are out showing that data can effect change
- BBC storiesSee how BBC teams have increased representation in their content
- How it works50:50's three core principles explained and how we tailor them
- Contact usWant to support our efforts to increase representation? Get in touch