Writers are at the heart of everything we do
A story has a beginning, a muddle and an endPhilip Larkin
Responsive, proactive and an open door to writers, BBC Writersroom is always looking at new ways to find and champion talent for all BBC platforms.
We know how hard it is to be a writer and we believe in finding ways to inspire and inform you, to keep you across changes, giving you access to commissioners and production departments but most importantly to the skills and and experience of established writers.
We are not here for the short term, we understand how long it can take for a writer to find that first and second commission, but if we think you have talent then we will do everything in our power to support and develop you for the long term.
What we do
From our bases in London and Salford we seek out and develop writers and writing talent, working in partnerships both inside and outside the BBC.
Our Script Room offers an open door for completely unrepresented writers across the UK to submit scripts with the promise that at least the first ten pages will be read. Promising new voices are then offered development opportunities and help to kick-start their careers.
We reach out to writers and support their development with events, workshops, masterclasses, Q&As and residential courses. This includes our annual TV Drama Writers' Festival.
We target under-represented voices through schemes focusing on minority communities or specific parts of the UK.
Our website is the first port of call for scriptwriters, with a wealth of online resources in our Writers' Lab, a Script Library, Industry Opportunities and our Blog with news and features on the latest BBC programmes, help and advice.
How can BBC Writersroom help me?
- Find out how you can Send a Script to us when our Script Room windows are open.
- Get writing tips and follow our step-by-step guide to writing your first script in our Writers' Lab section.
- Download BBC TV, radio and film scripts from our Script Library.
- Explore opportunities and events for new writers from the BBC and other organisations on our Opportunities page.
- Watch interviews and get top tips from established writers in our Be Inspired section.
- Read our blog for behind-the-scenes insights from BBC TV and Radio writers, help and advice.
- Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook to keep your finger on the pulse of the latest news.
- Sign-up to our monthly email newsletter.
Deadlines: 21 August, 30 September, 23 October 2015. A £2000 bursary to develop your work up to seventy minutes and support to stage a ‘work in progress’ rehearsed reading at the Tron Theatre in June 2016
Deadline: 22 October 2015 at 5pm. The winner of the Screenplay First Award, run in partnership between BBC Films and BBC Writersroom, will win £10K plus support from BBC Films to develop an original feature screenplay.
Deadline: 24 September 2015 at 5pm. BBC Writersroom's regular submission window for unsolicited scripts is open for Drama scripts (TV, film, radio, stage or online) from 10am on 7th September 2015 to 5pm on 24th September 2015.
Latest scriptsView all scripts
Content from Twitter. Learn more about content from Twitter.