Tips for short story writers
Need help with writing your story?
Then have a look at these tips for writers and follow the related links.
Don't forget to keep listening to World Book Club, The Word and Off the Shelf for inspiration.
• Enjoy the process of writing!
• Start small, and go for detail.
• Learn to look and use objects around you for inspiration.
• Try to use suggestiveness and gestures to give a sense of character and story.
• Research : avoid making factual errors when you describe an object or place.
• Beginnings and endings should have a powerful impact – try to revisit them.
• Work on your dialogue - by listening whenever you are with other people.
• Read some of your writing out loud - How does it sound?
• Get straight into the story. Something has to happen.
• Look at a critical point in someone’s life or focus on heightened moments.
• Make sure the story is carefully observed and quickly told.
• Leave the reader thinking - perhaps with a surprise twist.
More tips on how to write a short story can be found here.
Other useful links
Short Story Writing tips
Author Network: Resources for Writers
British Council Creative Writing activity
Get Writing with the BBC
Writing for Radio
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external websites.
|^^ back to top|