Last updated at 15:21 BST, Friday, 02 July 2010

Quiet students

Vote for teachers

Who is responsible for students' participation in classroom activities?

1. The student by her/himself
    (9%)
  2. Each student is responsible for helping others to participate
    (4.2%)
  3. The teacher
    (17.1%)
  4. A combination of the teacher and the students.
    (69.7%)

Total votes: 4279

Figures do not represent public opinion as a whole

Discuss

Often the students who are willing to speak English in our classrooms are the ones teachers give most attention to. How do you encourage quiet students? What tips do you have to help shy students to participate in classroom speaking activities?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 00:54am on 03 Jul 2010, shrimppa wrote:

This comment has been referred for further consideration. Explain

• 2. At 11:30am on 04 Jul 2010, anoniem wrote:

Students shouldn't be embarrassad to ask or to say something in class. They should be active in class. So, they can impress the teacher and this will really help them later. So, they also will get attention from their teacher. There is nothing to shame. You are there for learning and to ask things that you don't understand. As a student you should have enough self-confidence otherwise you won't be capable to learn things quickly. Without speaking you can't improve yourself. So, have confidence and don'be ashamed to say things in public.

• 3. At 05:18am on 05 Jul 2010, van anh wrote:

in my opinion, participating in classroom activities is very important to student to understand lesson sharply, developing communicating skills which is necessary for students to complete their's characters. To encourage more and more students in participating classroom activities, the most important thing is that there is a good combination of the teacher and the students. this mean that the teacher is who guide students to activities, is who understand the level of each student and character of them in order to find suitable methods for each quite student. Besides, the active students need combine with the teacher to discover quite students and also to encourage them to enjoy activities. Otherwise, i think one thing is also very important is that the encouragement of family. In my country, family has a part in spirit of each student to overcome obstacles on themselves.

• 4. At 10:12am on 05 Jul 2010, Jia bei wrote:

I am an English language learner from Xining city, china. I think the teachers shoul to force to students speak whom shy to speak out in classroom speakin activity. This will help them to practice their spoken skill.

• 5. At 12:29pm on 05 Jul 2010, hgjjlk wrote:

ın my opinion, shy students should be encouraged to take part in the class,may be they know the subject better than the others but they are afraid of making mistakes in fear of that their friends would ridicule them because of minor faults.ın that situation ,teachers have a big responsibility to make balance in the class

• 6. At 00:52am on 06 Jul 2010, Corrianne wrote:

I've often found that my quiet students are so much more fluent than the vocal students. I don't make them talk. Often they'll come and talk to me afterwards. It isn't wrong to not want to vocalise in front of others. What I do like to do is, if I find they know the work, get them to help other struggling students.

If a student is quiet and struggling, they perhaps need a little extra attention. This is trickier to work with, as it depends on how much time you have and the size of the class. I have small classes, so I can afford to give them a little extra attention, encouraging them to talk.

• 7. At 4:24pm on 06 Jul 2010, aliozturk wrote:

In my opinion, techers are highly responsible for the students' participation activities. Because teachers are the leader of the lesson. If they don't perform any activity during the lesson except that standing in fornt of the students and to speek about topic, students can't participate in activities because there is no activity. About two years ago, I teached mathematics in a secondary school for 6 months in behalf of a teacher was being a maternity leave.
      I was graduated mathematics departmant of the science faculty, so I never took any mathematic education lesson. At the class, there was a cabinet which is full of device for doing activity during the mathematics lesson. But, I never used this device. Only device I used was the blackboard. I was explaing the lesson at the blackboard putting sometimes a quastion to a student. I was thinking that topics are very easy and I am explaining the topic very good. But after the first exam, what I saw are very low exam results.
      I think teachers should be educated more very well and pedagogical science should be given more attention.

• 8. At 05:04am on 07 Jul 2010, Tienhoa wrote:

It is clear that English learners have struggled to acquire speaking skill, particularly shy students they find themselves more difficult to obtain such skill than dynamic students because they are afraid to make mistakes when speaking in front of others. To improve English speaking, the best way is to practise and practise as much as we can. In addition, to overcome the loss of confidence while speaking, therefore, forming small groups of students and encourage them talking each other. Such a method help build gradually their confidence.

• 9. At 11:03pm on 07 Jul 2010, cigback wrote:

Usually two types of students tend to be inactive in classrooms: some are naturally shy; some are not learning or haven't prepared at all. Some shy students do have great ideas and understanding, but they are not used to volunteer to speak. They may wish to wait for a chance to be called. Teachers can take opportunities to encourage or invite them to give their views. But for the latter, requring them to speak may be embarracing because they usually know nothing.
      Group work is a good method to encourage students to talk. Distinguish a big class into small groups and every member in a small group will have chances to talk to their peers. It would be easier to talk to smaller numbers of people than to a big class, and to student fellows than to teachers.

• 10. At 10:10pm on 08 Jul 2010, Cristina Baird wrote:

It's not that easy to make shy students speak but I try to give them conditions to have courage to start speaking. I show them that there is no other way to speak unless they start speaking.
      I tell them they must get involved with the other students and the lesson itself.
      Quiet students must be stimulated carefully and slowly. They have a barrier that must be overcome.

• 11. At 09:06am on 11 Jul 2010, Praveen wrote:

Praveen, Faculty of English from a private College of Engineering

It is not that all students, who are loquacious, are intellectuals but the students with tacit temperament have also got a plethora of talents hidden in them. All it requires is a factor of motivation from the teaching fraternity. As teacher, everyone has to play a role of facilitator in classroom rather than a guide. Firsthand, teachers should discharge duties with sheer sense of commitment to reveal the potential of such students to what they are up to. The quiet students should not be categorized to make them remain aloof in classrooms and it will only lead to an element of discouragement. They should be allowed to mingle easily with his or her classmates so as to share feelings and thoughts. Their (quite students) inner self has to be reflected with words, spontaneously. It will also help enhance the habit of conversing easily with other students and staff. Teachers should kindle the spirits of listeners and entice the quiet students to interact with, which is good sign of encouragement. Subjects including education, cinemas, sports and etc in the best of his or her interest have to be prioritized to deal with them morally. I think by adopting these methodologies, the quiet students can raise to the occasion.

Thanks all of you.

• 12. At 6:01pm on 14 Jul 2010, claudia_oliveira wrote:

In my point of view, students' participation is the result of teacher's work. If a teacher prepares an interesting class with games and oral exercises, students will participate because they'll see that they have this opportunity. Of course, there are some students who don't like to participate very much. It's normal a student or two feel shy in an English class, but if it happens with all students, it's better the teacher analyze his/her classes and see what can be changed.

• 13. At 10:55am on 16 Jul 2010, coramgod wrote:

In modern society, many students are more passive attitude than actigve because they have used to watching TV. To be specific, while watching TV, we need not try to understand the contents of TV. we can watch TV without active attitude. So
      students that have watched TV for a long time naturally accustomed themselves to passivie attitude.
      Then what is the solution of Quite students?
      one of the solutions is that teachers help students themselves interact with something such as books and posting comment on the internet.
      second, teachers ask silent people some questions to participate in class.

• 14. At 1:59pm on 16 Jul 2010, Sharon wrote:

I think to make shy students speaking is very difficult. i am also a shy atudent at school, i dont like to speak english in front of class, but my composition is not bad. I think to write a composition is esaier than speaking because you can think before writing but when you talk you wont think the detail on the grammer and think to long . So that i think the best solution is read more story book and read the sentence out clearly.
      Thank you.

• 15. At 8:48pm on 16 Jul 2010, Mohsin-Albraki wrote:

Participation in class is considered crucial because it encourages the students not to be shy and easily method to break the ice
      one hand can't clap so without cooperation between the students and their teacher . It seems so tough . moreover, it makes the students not be relieved about theirselves

• 16. At 7:59pm on 18 Jul 2010, Rajesh wrote:

As an ‘everlasting’ learner I’ve got the feeling, if we ignore the age of a fresher that could vary from 8 to 88, then i would say the teacher is the very first intiator, who would introduce and guide certain students to become an after-image of him. This combination of teacher and student -regardless of the duration of time- let emerge those certain students to become responsible for the others after having become responsible for themselves first.
      Perhaps this point of view is just a literary one and has got no resonance nowadays…worth wishing for though.

• 17. At 07:31am on 19 Jul 2010, EddiTan wrote:

I am a Malaysian that studying in Taiwan, and that is the reason why my tone is different.

Being quite doesn't mean that not having any idea. However, I rather to be quite because I felt really uncomfortable when I had to repeat my idea again and again to make sure the teacher and classmates get it. This is quite embarrass.

But then, some teachers really give me an efficient way to share my ideas, that is by e-mail. The teacher will then either share or discuss it with other else. Whilst, teacher will have the chance to get to know what inside their students mind, especially understand the way of thinking. And finally, when there is a chance to speak in front of others again, I may felt more easier because of the teacher already have a preliminary recognition about me and will help me out against my tone problems to explain more clearly to others.

So, in conclusion, these need a work up for both sides.

• 18. At 12:00pm on 23 Jul 2010, gui_bgo wrote:

I'm from Brazil.

I've been an English student for 2 years and I know that I don't need to be shy because I'm learning something that I don't know and if I don't try to speak, I won't be able to speak up in other places, so why am I learning English? It makes no sense.
      My English teacher is such a nice teacher, because he doesn't mind if you're shy or not, you need to speak when you're in his classroom. If you don't speak when you're not in his classroom, it's not of his business. He has tried to guide you.
      My teacher has different ways to each student shares your ideas. We need to know that in our classrooms we can make some mistakes which we couldn't make outside the classrooms because it may be crucial in our personal life, professional life or whatever. I really don't enjoy talking in front of other people, but I know I should. I really enjoy writing because I can think before to do something wrong and if I did, I can make it up.

So, students and teachers need to work up together.

Thank you.

• 19. At 00:45am on 25 Jul 2010, fanyun wrote:

teachers should hlep every student ask the question they are interesting such as why the earth is round? the interaction is very significant in class . if all students lower their heads and keep quiet only teacher himself is speaking, WHICH IS very boring. some students even sleeping .

• 20. At 04:31am on 25 Jul 2010, fanyun wrote:

Interaction is so significant between students and teacher
      FIRSTLY)the atmosphere in classroom will be boring if students keep quiet secondly)teacher will understand what student are interesting.ALL in all ,with the computer developing .there are more opportunities for students enjoy abundent education resources.such as BBC supply a broad stage to ask any english question

• 21. At 04:53am on 25 Jul 2010, fanyun wrote:

• 22. At 07:41am on 25 Jul 2010, Jaber Al Shadfan wrote:

In the run up to the lesson ,the main concern the teacher might have in mind is how to immerse all his students in the lesson to be active learners.
      I believe that shy students are reluctant to speaking for three reasons.
      Firstly,the lack of expressive language students need to convey their ideas and beliefs.
      Secondly, peers pressure and critisim that hinder and depress students.
      Thirdly, lack of motivation in and outside the class.
      I think bearing in mind the three mentioned factors may help teachers to step forward to eradicate this phonemena from their classes.
      In my opinion praising is a key to motivation which helps opening hard locked doors. It could be verbal by appriciating students' contributions,honor and merit certificates and extra marks for performance.
      In addition, competitions should always be one of our classes norms to encourage students to compete and be good competetors.
      However, making shy students the limelight at school by beeing active and effective participants and having noticeable roles within the class and the school as well such as school broadcast programms,events announcers and so on to keep them focused will sure give them the confidence needed to overcome their shiness.

• 23. At 10:47am on 26 Jul 2010, ustemefree wrote:

In Hong Kong, most students ignore teachers and have tutorial class after school, they think schools are rubbish.
      If you speak loudly or ask question constanly, classmate will consider you as troblesome, as wasting students time.
      So, small classes and group discussion may help to improve these" quiet" situation ^^

• 24. At 8:46pm on 26 Jul 2010, Rose Araujo wrote:

Games are always very practical when we try to make others speak when they don't want, are afraid, insecure or shy. So while we play the game, discuss the rules, put them in action, these people normally speak, and the teacher should be attentive to get this chance and make them talk about anything he wants. We have to be patient.

• 25. At 10:49pm on 26 Jul 2010, Jaber Al Shadfan wrote:

Ammended Discussion
      I believe that shy students are reluctant to speaking for three reasons.
      Firstly, the lack of expressive language students need to convey their ideas and beliefs.
      Secondly, peers pressure and criticism that hinder and depress students.
      Thirdly, lack of motivation in and outside the class.
      I think bearing in mind the three mentioned factors may help teachers to step forward to eradicate this phenomena from their classes.
      In my opinion praising is a key to motivation which helps opening hard locked doors. It could be verbal by appreciating students' contributions, honor and merit certificates and extra marks for performance.
      In addition, competitions should always be one of our classes norms to encourage students to compete and be good competitors’.
      However, making shy students the limelight at school by being active and effective participants and having noticeable roles within the class and the school as well such as school broadcast programs, events announcers and so on to keep them focused will sure give them the confidence needed to overcome their shyness.
      Apologize for the thumb slips been made in the previous discussion.
      Thanks

• 26. At 09:42am on 27 Jul 2010, hussam wrote:

Hi
      I think shy and silent students have their justifications/ reasons for doing so. It could be their self -esteem is very low or teacher's encouragement is not enough to help them overcome such obstacle or the task it self is beyond their level/abilities.

One possible solution, I think, is the implementation of cooperative learning CL techniques in which students, heterogeneously structured in CL groups, work together to accomplish a goal. Students in CL, if structured carefully, may learn from each other better than learning from the teacher alone. Also, speaking and participating, lets say in front of 4 students is different from speaking in front of the whole class.

Regards

• 27. At 11:45am on 28 Jul 2010, Azatullah wrote:

Hi,

I am not myself teacher and not know much rule of teaching but i will explain the teaching rule of my first step english teacher Mr. Mohammad qasam khan ulfat in Helmand province.
      Mr. Ulfat had interested competition in english between students one day in a week for example at thursday there was english words game ( one student was saying one word the next student was saying a word by starting of the last alpbet of the last student like Ahmad is saying school Mohmood must say a word that start by L like Language the third person must say a word by starting of E like Eat the forth by T like Talke so at the end one persone was winner and a small gift was giving to him that collected 10 Af from all fail students and also in gramer.
      Regarding in Grammer he was making two groups and asking each other that at the result the fail students were compel to make a party for winners.
      i think this rule is good for quiet student that could encourage quiet students for learing because they like to win competition.

Best wishes
      Azatullah skandari from Helmand

• 28. At 11:13pm on 28 Jul 2010, rosygar_g wrote:

Teachers should help their students. Close interaction and communication in both teachers and students are very significant in class.

• 29. At 10:32am on 29 Jul 2010, natalie1233 wrote:

I remember I used to be a girl who was very shy in the class,i couldn't open my mouth even I know about answers what teachers asked .However,I've changed since I got close to my teachers who always tried to consult me .
      thus I think it would be a good way let students get close with teachers , I know it isn't as easy easy i say, because teachers have to be patient with their students. futhermore ,making students work with their classmates will more encourage them to participate speaking activities .

• 30. At 10:36am on 29 Jul 2010, natalie1233 wrote:

• 31. At 12:44pm on 29 Jul 2010, ghada sharawy wrote:

Hi every one
      I try to improve my skill language especialy in English for awhile , So i participated in English Course , First, i was shy and making conversation difficulty , by the time my teacher gave me individual project , So i tried hardly and do it excellent , i display my project in front of my colleague , that gave my more confidence-self and speaking fluency. Once behind the times , I loved to speak English with my teacher or my colleague.So the point that teacher is the most important point to participation in class .. forgive me my poor English .. with my best wishes
      ghada sharawy.. by the way.... i'm 45 years old