Last updated at 18:01 BST, Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Week 44: Talking Sport: Roberto Custodio

Follow sporting stories and learn English along the way.

Video

work out, atmosphere

Welcome to Talking Sport!

In four years time after the London Olympics, Rio de Janeiro will host the 2016 Games.

Today we meet Roberto Custodio, a boxer from Rio who is hoping to compete in both the London and Rio Games.

Join Natalie in this week's video to find out more Roberto and learn the word 'atmosphere' and the phrase 'work out'.

Learning point

Vocabulary: work out, atmosphere

Downloads

Now tell us what you think

Join in the conversation! What plans do you hope will work out? Do you think the Rio 2016 Games will have a party atmosphere?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 10:17pm on 22 May 2012, FRANZ wrote:

This comment has been referred for further consideration. Explain

• 2. At 00:37am on 23 May 2012, victor wrote:

i want to learn british english and take the toefl test if this work out i would be able to get a better job.

i think that olimpic games help developing countries to get profits in the turistic branch, in that way small sellers would be benefit.

• 3. At 1:49pm on 23 May 2012, miklos wrote:

Thank you for this interesting edition of BBC Learning English.
      I try listening English as much as possible. I found the speaker charming. It's interesting her pronouncing of some words; I mean how she pronounce 'out' in 'work out' and how she pronounce the word 'game'. I think it differs somewhat from what I've heard by now. I don't know is it typically British, a sort or Australian English or something else.

However there's no doubt my listening skills will benefit from listening your programs.

Greetings from Serbia.

• 4. At 9:10pm on 23 May 2012, the_hague wrote:

Hello everybody,

I've got one question left:
      Natalie explains the word work-out. I don't understand one word in Natalie's explanation of "work-out". She says: "work-out means the things to go ACCORDING (?) the plan."

My question is:
      Have I heard "according" the plan correctly?

Thanks in advance!

• 5. At 12:05pm on 24 May 2012, yoshimi wrote:

If things work out, my wife and I will be spending about a month in Britain from the beginning of September till the beginning of October. We are hoping to visit some English countryside, like the Cotswolds and the Late District. Our big problem is that the cost of accommodation in the countryside as well as in London might go up too much, with the coming Olympics in London this summer. We are hoping that everything will settle down to normalcy soon after the Olympics.

• 6. At 2:02pm on 29 May 2012, martaPL wrote:

I am learning to ride a motorbike and I hope I will be able to pass my test his summer. I am going to work hard to make it work out!

• 7. At 11:09am on 29 Sep 2012, shardanbbc wrote:

Like miklos I am curious about Natalie's way to pronounce "out" (it sounds like /ait/ to my Italian ear instead of /aʊt/. I like it anyway. :)

1. Home