Last updated at 17:41 BST, Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Week 43: Talking Sport: 2016 Rio Games Rugby

Follow sporting stories and learn English along the way.

Video

intense, feature

Welcome to Talking Sport!

After the London 2012 Olympics the next Games will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2016

The 2016 Olympic Games will also see rugby included in the Olympics for the first time.

Today we meet four brothers hoping to play rugby for Brazil in 2016.

Join Natalie in this week's video to find out more about the Paixao brothers and learn the word 'debut'.

Learning point

Vocabulary: debut

Downloads

Now tell us what you think

Join in the conversation! Do you like rugby? Are you looking forward to rugby making its debut at the Rio 2016 Olympics?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 10:53pm on 15 May 2012, FRANZ wrote:

Rugby is so popular here in Brazil as ski. I can't tell about rugby. I only know that it exists but I never saw. Brazilian TV don't show this game because here it doesn't exist.

• 2. At 06:31am on 16 May 2012, Charlie wrote:

when i was in NZ, i saw a game called rugby at first. it was really tough and interesting for me. The more i saw that, the more i thought it was a manly sport. so i wanna say that a lot of people would enjoy it as much as they can in 2016. we just should know how to play it if we enjoy it properly.

• 3. At 10:12am on 16 May 2012, jwan wrote:

many people don't know what is rugby and what is the rules of this game.in my opinion, sharing such game in olympic will give us informations about rugby and how we can play it.

• 4. At 3:13pm on 16 May 2012, Juan wrote:

I don´t know much about Rugby. I´ve seen how a group practice it a couple of times, and I think its an interesting sport but sincerely, I´m not looking forward its debut in the next Olimpic games.

• 5. At 4:25pm on 16 May 2012, suresh wrote:

inclusion of rugby is a welcome step. New fast and short games may be included for more fun. I think Indian game Kabbadi is excellent game for inclusion in the olympics. Its very short and exciting. People enjoy from shorter and exciting games.

• 6. At 3:58pm on 18 May 2012, Tereza wrote:

I know almost nothing about rugby, I don't even know, if there is any difference between rugby and American football. So, I am not looking forward to its inclusion in the Olympics. On the other hand, I don't mind it.

• 7. At 11:08am on 24 May 2012, abpinduction wrote:

I do really like play rugby. it's quite active sport. But i don't think that I will look forward the rugby games in an olympic event too much. One thing if you play and totally different If you sit at the TV on watch for couple hours drinking beer.

• 8. At 12:06pm on 04 Jun 2012, ekashino wrote:

• 9. At 4:07pm on 10 Jan 2013, nam wrote:

I think that rugby isn't popular in the world. In my country, rugby is really strange. I don't know why rugby becomes a sport in Rio 2016.

1. Home