Last updated at 16:35 GMT, Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Week 28: Pakistan hockey

Follow sporting stories and learn English along the way.

Video

Represent

Welcome to Talking Sport!

Pakistan's most important Olympic sport is hockey.

Over the years, they have won three Olympic gold medals and four World Cups.

Today we hear about a school in Pakistan which has produced many international hockey players.

Join Natalie in this week's video to hear more about hockey in Pakistan and learn the word 'represent'.

Learning point

Vocabulary: represent

Downloads

Now tell us what you think

Join in the conversation! Have you ever represented your school, town or country in anything?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 5:39pm on 31 Jan 2012, A man from Siberia wrote:

Hello everyone,
      I live in Russia and for most of us the word 'hockey' represents 'ice-hockey'. Believe me or not, but I went to a russian ice-hockey school and also (like these guys from Pakistan) dreamt of representing my country at the international sport stage. What a coincidence!
      One more thing I'd like to say, in Russian we call a baker's dozen -
      the devil's dozen (as a typical representative of my country I've got some kind of troubles in using articles)
      Well, let me wish you the best of luck for your studies. Take care. Bye-bye.

• 2. At 6:58pm on 31 Jan 2012, userman wrote:

Hi. I never have represented my country in some sport like professional. When I was hildren I would want to be a greats soccer player, but I dedicated to study and teach Mathematics. Now, I like athletism sport. Once I had the oportunity to represent in a long distance competition, but like recreative participant.

• 3. At 11:02pm on 31 Jan 2012, beatriz wrote:

Years ago I represented my school and a traditional sport club in swimming competitions. Ít is part of the best memories of my life.

• 4. At 11:47am on 01 Feb 2012, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I had represented my school in olimpiad by chemistry when I was at school. But I didn't win.

• 5. At 2:02pm on 01 Feb 2012, fegobe wrote:

When I ws young, I have represented my club in skatin races.

• 6. At 3:01pm on 01 Feb 2012, Juan wrote:

Once I represented at my soccer's school in the national tournament. We were between the first ten beast team in our city. The competitors are good teams and it was a nice competition.

In another occasion I represented at my class in the school contesting for the best tale. In that occasion I win. :)

• 7. At 4:43pm on 01 Feb 2012, Din Islam wrote:

I represented my academic department name Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering of University of Dhaka in inter department cricket tournament. I'm so proud of doing that I can't express total feelings in words. I was an opening batsman and the wicket keeper of my team. In some matches I performed extraordinarily. As a wicket keeper I made some excellent dismissal and was appreciated highly by my team mates. I can still remember a match in which I played the major role of winning. But I feel sad of thinking that my team didn't win the trophy for once. We came close to the final some time but fell finally. However, it doesn't matter when I think that representing my team is a great honour to me. Now I'm out of varsity but still feel those feelings of that time, the bat, the ball, the gloves or the field. I still wanna hold the bat, the ball or feel the excitement of this gentlemen game.

• 8. At 7:05pm on 02 Feb 2012, MS wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a software engineer.I have cricket fever.In my school time I used to play so much of cricket.By the way I am a bowler(medium pacer).I worked really hard to get into my school team as I wanted to REPRESENT my school in cricket.But I failed to make that up because there were already great players then me.I got frustrated but I didn't loose hope.When I took admission in engineering college there fortunately I was the only good bowler in my batch so,I selected for the cricket team and during inter college competition our team was selected and there I REPRESENTED my college.That was my one of the most happiest days in my life.I'd like to thank my team member who encouraged me while i was bowling.

Thanks,
      MS

• 9. At 09:08am on 03 Feb 2012, La_praline wrote:

Hi!
      Every year I represent my school at an annual competition between over 50 school from our city in English olimpiad. Last year I won the second place. I'm proud of being the second person from the city who know English so well. btw I'm from Kazakhstan.
      Best wishes, Masha.

• 10. At 7:08pm on 03 Feb 2012, apsny wrote:

In my school time I have played basketball. I was the front court and captain of basketball team. We represented our school at an annual competitions in our country and we were the winners of many games. It were great times!

• 11. At 1:42pm on 04 Feb 2012, FRANZ wrote:

• 12. At 08:11am on 06 Feb 2012, outlier87 wrote:

When I was yonger, I wanted to represent my country in football.
      But my parents forced me not to do it. So, now I just root for my football team and enjoy watching a football match. so sad~~

• 13. At 2:17pm on 06 Feb 2012, sidehy wrote:

I represent a group of study which is about getting a job. People tell me a leader, but I don't want to be told that, because the leader's work is very demanding.

• 14. At 05:43am on 09 Feb 2012, colom2121 wrote:

I represent a team of fooball in our league. But I am not excellent player but take part in game.

• 15. At 10:19am on 12 Feb 2012, Tereza wrote:

I represented my university at a conference which held abroad. I was very proud of me.

• 16. At 5:41pm on 23 Feb 2012, crisjimenez83 wrote:

In my chilhood I represented Andalucía in the Spanish´s Autonomous Region championship, throwing the hummer.

1. Home