Last updated at 16:42 GMT, Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Week 22: Belgian athletes

Follow sporting stories and learn English along the way.

Video

Training in the Arctic

Welcome to Talking Sport!

Today we hear about athletes training for the Olympics in the Arctic.

BBC reporter Kieran Fox has been following the Belgian athletics team who have been training in the snow and ice.

So why are these athletes training in the cold weather?

Join Natalie in this week's video to hear about the athletes' training and learn the phrases 'team unity' and 'competitive edge'.

Learning point

Vocabulary: 'team unity' and 'competitive edge'

Downloads

Now tell us what you think

Join in the conversation! What gives you the competitive edge?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 8:42pm on 20 Dec 2011, Julia wrote:

Nowdays, tha fact of you know foreign language (can use it properly) is absolutly not a competitive edge. I am a usual person, I can listen end try to understand another man, perhaps that is my competitive edge. Also, I hope my coment will be the first and it will give me an additional competitive edge.

• 2. At 10:26am on 21 Dec 2011, Discip wrote:

Congratulations for this useful section to learn English. I hope following this section will give me the competitive edge when I'm passing the English exams

• 3. At 2:03pm on 21 Dec 2011, Juan wrote:

My attitude and motivation to do things is my competitive edge. When I motivated to do something I put all my efforts, experience, and knowledge to reach the objective.

• 4. At 3:48pm on 21 Dec 2011, Emanuelrocha wrote:

Speaking English certainly gives me the competitive edge, so that I can get light years ahead of other professionals and students by reading and writing things in a language some of them can't. But in order to be even further ahead, I'm planning to start learning German next February.

• 5. At 5:33pm on 21 Dec 2011, Kazimir wrote:

If you are a little man it’s not good in such cities like Chicago, especially at night because a lot of bad guys are in the streets, but if you’re a tall and tough enough, you have a competitive edge over them.
      If you’re a policeman and going to catch a couple of bad guys you’ve got to have the team unity among your partners to do it more productively.

• 6. At 12:23pm on 23 Dec 2011, FRANZ wrote:

My competitive edge is not think being in a competitive edge. I think if we try to do our best we naturally be in a competitive edge and if not we can try again or change our mind and trying another thing.

• 7. At 07:48am on 02 Jan 2012, Tereza wrote:

I am a hard-working person and teachers know it, so it gives me a competitive edge during exams - when I cannot remember something, they are benevolent and give me another chance, because they know that I studied hard.

• 8. At 7:40pm on 16 Jan 2012, alex wrote:

I think learning English, good university degree and working experience give me a competitive edge when I'll look for a new job

• 9. At 1:20pm on 06 Feb 2012, Amar wrote:

Pakistan cricket team has a competitive edge over the England team because Pakistan has the match winning bowling attack

1. Home