Last updated at 10:43 GMT, Tuesday, 08 November 2011

Week 16: Chinese divers

Follow sporting stories and learn English along the way.

Video

At the Chinese training base

Welcome to Talking Sport!

Diving is a very skilled sport and China has some of the best divers in the world.

At the last Olympics in 2008, China topped the medals table with 11 medals in diving, including 7 gold medals.

This week we hear from BBC reporter Michael Bristow who has been to the Chinese diving training base.

Join Natalie in this week's video to hear about how often the divers train and learn the words 'criticism' and 'encouragement'.

Learning point

Vocabulary: 'criticism' and 'encouragement'

Now tell us what you think

Who encourages you?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 2:22pm on 08 Nov 2011, Bacira wrote:

I am struggling with my study at University, I am going to have some difficult exams, but my husband and my son, they encourage me to be selfconfident. I hope, with their encouragement I can carry out my job well.

• 2. At 6:38pm on 08 Nov 2011, Daniel wrote:

Natalies pronunciation is Standard American English, right?

BBC Learning English says: many people comment on Natalie's accent. Natalie comes from the part of the UK called Northern Ireland and her accent is Northern Irish.

• 3. At 8:46pm on 08 Nov 2011, Cruzerland wrote:

When I was younger at school,my mother used to encourage me to practice the subjects that I liked least.

• 4. At 8:51pm on 08 Nov 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

My husband have encouraged me to go to the gym. He takes care for our baby when I am in the gym. It is very difficult to him becouse our son is 11 mounth.

• 5. At 10:08am on 09 Nov 2011, narrosgirl wrote:

My husband every day encourage me to get over my illness.

• 6. At 7:49pm on 09 Nov 2011, luc debruyne wrote:

It's my third year I'm learning English (for seniors!!). The first two years our group of twenty students had a female teacher. Now we have a male teacher. There's a different way of teaching but both have the same aim: to encourage us to read books and magazines, listen to the radio and to watch TV. It's not so easy when you're in your sixties.

• 7. At 00:22am on 10 Nov 2011, Amrmolham wrote:

I am strugling to sake allah , I'm going to u.s.a soon incha allah,
      my family every day encourage me to learning in univeristy To achieve my fate..

• 8. At 12:14pm on 12 Nov 2011, FRANZ wrote:

Now who encourages me is the Arabic people fighting for democracy and Education to be happy in their countries. If they can we can too! I think a new global order is coming where we are changing mystical and religious dogmas for the Science.

• 9. At 3:39pm on 16 Nov 2011, Soler wrote:

My daughter encourage me to be more stronger. I encourage my self to struggle with every day routine. It's really exhausted. In youth my mother was encouraging me to study well.

• 10. At 11:07am on 19 Nov 2011, Antonio wrote:

I encourage myselft to listen carefuly to learning english videos to improve my listening skills. In my opinión, Michael, the reporter, seems to pronunciate the word encourament (//ɪnˈkʌr.ɪdʒ.mənt//) in a somehow different way: //ɪnˈkur.ɪdʒ.mənt//. Am I right?

• 11. At 9:39pm on 20 Nov 2011, zhang wrote:

When receive criticism, it's easy to get discouraged.

• 12. At 4:28pm on 22 Nov 2011, amr wrote:

well,it seems like no one would encourage me.as a student,my parents always criticise me,like why did u not get straight A or why r u not like mike or whoever.
      but i know they do love me.it's their education style and most parents like them in our country,

• 13. At 10:43pm on 25 Nov 2011, Leo_Tatoo wrote:

What encourages me?
      The challenges of life encourage me to defeat them. As Al Pacino told in the movie "Any Given Sunday":"Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win, but you always play".

• 14. At 01:59am on 30 Nov 2011, Choi wrote:

Most of time, my family encourages me. They give me great supports, so whenever I am in trouble, I think about them. It makes me get over problems.

• 15. At 11:27am on 05 Dec 2011, ahmed wrote:

My father encourages me to study english.
      My friend criticism me , If I do anything wrong.

• 16. At 11:32am on 05 Dec 2011, ahmed wrote:

• 17. At 6:06pm on 05 Dec 2011, ahmed wrote:

My family encourage me to go to university

• 18. At 02:58am on 25 Feb 2012, Haiccm8 wrote:

My mother encourages me to learn math.
      My friend encourages me to learn English because you can earn a lot of money.

And I encourages myself to play sport.

1. Home