Last updated at 11:14 BST, Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Week 4: Merlin Diamond

Follow sporting stories and learn English along the way.

Video

Merlin Diamond

Welcome to Talking Sport!

This week we meet another Olympic hopeful.

Merlin Diamond wants to compete in the 100m and 200m sprints in next year's Olympics.

The 19 year old is from Namibia and wants to win the first gold medal for her country.

Merlin has a strict schedule and spends many hours training every day.

Join Natalie in this week's video to learn some English and find out more about Merlin.

Learning Point

Get to the top

Downloads

Now tell us what you think

What do you think you need to do to get to the top?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 12:21pm on 16 Aug 2011, RosangelaACesar wrote:

These videos about sports are excelents. It´s amazing to listen the England people talking about their feeling.
      Congratulation to speaker. Rosângela

• 2. At 12:55pm on 16 Aug 2011, cryin1228 wrote:

To get to the top in my marriage, I need to learn the effective communication skills to save and improve my marriage life.

• 3. At 1:06pm on 16 Aug 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

Self-discipline and self-awareness are the keys of your success.

• 4. At 3:23pm on 16 Aug 2011, Cesar wrote:

I think I need study and a lot dedication to get to the top.

• 5. At 6:01pm on 16 Aug 2011, Emil wrote:

When I want to get to the top I have to get down to work. What is more I need a good education.

• 6. At 7:48pm on 16 Aug 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

You should practise and go to your goal. If there are some difficulty in you way you should not give up.

• 7. At 11:08pm on 16 Aug 2011, beatriz wrote:

I think it´s not easy to get to the top but a successful recipe could be a mixture of effort, work, training and a good bit of luck. Shall we try? Beatriz.

• 8. At 04:20am on 17 Aug 2011, Anjual wrote:

To get to the top in my career I need to find the best job that permit me improve my skills. I think to get to the top you need to want that you do.

• 9. At 07:18am on 17 Aug 2011, Unesyou wrote:

if you want learn English , you need to concentrate , to be interesting and to research all that : the keys to get to the top

• 10. At 08:03am on 17 Aug 2011, Noah wrote:

Where there is a will there is a way! In professional sport it isn't easy. Sometimes they don't even have enough time for their own family. Therefore you have to decide if you want strives for a good sporting career.

• 11. At 3:45pm on 17 Aug 2011, Ngoc tran wrote:

I think to get to the top in learning English we need to more and more patient to hear, to read and write.

• 12. At 8:54pm on 17 Aug 2011, csepelside wrote:

To get to the top I need more and more practice. As I want to speak and understand English better I listen to the English news every day. Concerning other parts of life, ok, we need a bit of luck.

• 13. At 9:31pm on 17 Aug 2011, Yess wrote:

I think the most important thing to get to the top is to do what you love to do. You can't be successful doing something you hate or something that bores you. Once you get the passion, the efforts to reach your dreams will seem just a little obstacle.

• 14. At 1:43pm on 19 Aug 2011, sangtae wrote:

First of all, To get to the top.... I think I need endurance.

• 15. At 02:32am on 20 Aug 2011, smilehunt wrote:

TO get to the top in career you need to concentrate on whtat you have to do.Good aim or method is helpful to run to get the top !

• 16. At 6:47pm on 21 Aug 2011, Anas wrote:

I need to concentrate on my studies, work hard, pay attention to what my strengths and my weaknesses are. In addition, I need to be very dedicated and determined to what I want to be. If I am able to do all this, I will definitely get to the top...

• 17. At 02:52am on 22 Aug 2011, Remi wrote:

As I am not trying to get to the top, I don't know how I have to do to get to the top. Too hard doing things might bring too early death, and getting to the top does not always mean the success in his life, even if it made him happy for a short period.
      But, having an aim, a policy and strategies to get things done is I think good. A important thing is if you can try to make
      policies if you get to walls, and not to stick to the original policy you made at first.

• 18. At 06:24am on 22 Aug 2011, hassan hureshi wrote:

to get the top you have to belive in hardwok.
      I dont belive in luck.