Last updated at 12:29 BST, Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Week 3: Shawn Johnson

Follow sporting stories and learn English along the way.

Video

Shawn Johnson

Welcome to Talking Sport!

This week we are hearing from American gymnast Shawn Johnson.

Shawn won a gold medal and three silver medals at the last Olympics in Beijing. Following her success, Shawn has become a familiar face on US TV.

Now Shawn is focusing on the next Olympics and is hoping to compete again for her country.

So what is Shawn looking forward to in 2012?

Join Natalie in this week's video to find out.

Learning point

Vocabulary: experience and opportunity

Related downloads

Now tell us what you think

Tell us about interesting experiences or opportunities that you have had.

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 6:42pm on 09 Aug 2011, Alberto wrote:

To see this videos is a great opportunity to learn and practice.

• 2. At 1:34pm on 10 Aug 2011, ALFONSO wrote:

Hi everyone,
      I used to repeat and repeat again the videoclip as necessary . I´m improving my english pronunciation,as a result.
      Nice video clip and nice way to improve my english skills.Keep on that track.

All the best,

Alfonso

• 3. At 2:32pm on 10 Aug 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

All experiences come out of the opportunities. Therefore always do your best in any opportunities given.

• 4. At 7:55pm on 10 Aug 2011, serik wrote:

I ve had just a great oppertunity to learn ENG from this video tnx!

• 5. At 10:18pm on 10 Aug 2011, csepelside wrote:

It's good to see that the presenter Natalie smiles all the time talking the news. She speaks in a normal speed that helps me to understand the text better. In contrary to Natalie Shawn speaks much faster, in adddition she uses American English that is more difficult to understand. I'm always asking myself: what did she say?

• 6. At 10:23am on 12 Aug 2011, Antonella wrote:

Few years ago, I got the opportunity to take an English course for professionals for free that otherwise I couldn't afford. My young English teacher Emma came from London and had a strong "posh" accent which was not easy to understand. She was a very good teacher, thou. On the whole, it was a great experience and the 3-month course turned out to be a source of inspiration for me to set goals that I thought that I could never reach. Little after, I bumped into the BBC LE website and that has been another great opportunity to improve my English...

• 7. At 10:58am on 12 Aug 2011, stefanotisorride wrote:

Last year my parents gave me an important opportunity to open a B&B in Sardinia. After one year of working hard I could open the B&B and started to find my clients. Now I'm enjoing the experience of meeting people that have decided to come and visit Sardinia.The opportunity change in a beautiful experience!

• 8. At 3:16pm on 13 Aug 2011, Cesar wrote:

I've had a opportunity to go to Canada to study English for one month. It was really nice because I could stay in touch with other culture from almost every planet.

• 9. At 03:46am on 14 Aug 2011, khtntrankien88 wrote:

• 10. At 03:48am on 14 Aug 2011, khtntrankien88 wrote:

• 11. At 03:51am on 14 Aug 2011, khtntrankien88 wrote:

hi everyone!
      i'm from Vietnamese, i hope i will get opportunity to improve english level. i hope everyone will hepl me. thanks.

• 12. At 10:38am on 15 Aug 2011, Ngiam wrote:

So do I, csepelside.
      I quite understand almost all of what the people here are saying.
      But I can't understand the people in the clip or soundtracks in the movie.
      I kept asking my mind what they were saying when I was watching a movie with soundtrack.

Anyone know how I can improve my listening!

• 13. At 03:01am on 16 Aug 2011, abdelatif wrote:

the very good oppotunity who i have is has been muslim

• 14. At 08:01am on 16 Aug 2011, greenraisin wrote:

Now I have the best opportunity in the whole life studying in the University of Strathclyde. I will try as much as I can to get the Master's Degree.

• 15. At 4:45pm on 16 Aug 2011, Po-Ming Lin wrote:

To learn English from "BBC learning English" is really a fantastic experience for me. Because of that, I've the opportunity and ability to study abroad in UK as well as take a trip to other countries. I expect that I can continue studying English without stop.

1. Home