Last updated at 16:22 GMT, Monday, 03 December 2012

Calendar 2012: Colours: December

The photo

Brazil

I took this photo on a trip to the Pantanal Matrogrossense which is considered by the UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve. It's a very beautiful area with lush wildlife. It is located in west-central Brazil in the southwest corner of the state of Mato Grosso. Among the birds found this canindé macaw.

Adauto Lúcio da Silva Dutra – Belo Horizonte - Brasil

Your comments

Tell us what you think about this photo. Each month throughout 2012 we'll be focussing on a different colour. We'll publish our favourite comments and recipes later this month.

The colour for December is "multicoloured".

Comments

• 1. At 3:20pm on 04 Dec 2012, Soler wrote:

I am very much delighted that December on the BBC is "multicoloured". Usally In my mind sticked notion that December is the start of the monotonous winter because of the climate features in my country.
      This multicoloured parrot looks so carnival,exactly as vivid as carnival in Rio de Janeiro.

• 2. At 00:05am on 05 Dec 2012, paschini wrote:

It´s an example as our country is really exceptional...

• 3. At 07:53am on 05 Dec 2012, jwan wrote:

what a colorful bird!! it has a special beak .i love the colorful feather.very nice shot

• 4. At 2:31pm on 13 Dec 2012, ryannatural wrote:

It really is a lovely creature. It really is incredible to see our feathered friend at a very close distance and how the bird really is. It makes me curious about the camera and the lens used and how far away the photographer was from their subject.

• 5. At 5:00pm on 15 Dec 2012, Adauto Lúcio wrote:

Hi Ryan, I see that you like the photografia, but answering your question, the camera model was Canon EOS 30D and the lens used was EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6. I am not so far away from the bird, I think 7 meters.
      There are many places in this region the birds not flee because of the people, so with a little care I can make good pictures.
      For you know there are other birds like this, the same species, but with different colors predominate, as a green, blue and red.

If you want I can send you a photo of each.
      bye

• 6. At 10:22pm on 15 Dec 2012, sonia durao wrote:

Adauto Lúcio, I'm from Belo Horizonte too. I loved your picture. Very nice! I saw a lot of macaws (=araras),canindés in Bonito, Mato Grosso do Sul. There is a special place, "Buraco das Araras"(=Macaw's hole), where hundreds of scarlets macaws live. This is a big hole, I think is 30m deep or more and about 30m diamater.
      It's beautiful to see them returning at dusk to their shelters. They do a biggest racket!
      In Bonito it is possible to see a lot of blue and yellow macaws. They are wonderful! Congratulations, you got a perfect shot!

• 7. At 5:54pm on 17 Dec 2012, Adauto Lúcio wrote:

Hi Sônia, very nice have you here. I have beem in this place "Buraco das Araras". It's beautiful, but bigger than your estimate. I am planing to go there again, and I saw a news that the road from Bodoquena will be paved, it will be faster with the trip from Bonito to Miranda.
      See you

• 8. At 6:03pm on 17 Dec 2012, Roberto wrote:

An impressive example of mother nature's colours and shapes... a picture that fills eyes

• 9. At 06:34am on 26 Dec 2012, Nicholas wrote:

This photo is beautifully shoot. I have an illusion that the bird is staring at me. The red and green is the prefect compliments colour, it immediately catch my attention. Well done!

• 10. At 12:32pm on 28 Dec 2012, Linda wrote:

Beautifully colored, as we can see in this photo.
      The yellow one I have at home.Cockatiel.
      Parrots are restless, curious and friendly animals. I love them.

• 11. At 11:33pm on 01 Jan 2013, HENRIQUE wrote:

Our Brazillian beauty is incredible...it's a pity that is being destroyed by man!

• 12. At 6:33pm on 12 Jan 2013, Sonja wrote:

The parot looks very friendly and loveable. I could imagine that he has a great human friend. A friendship between human and animal is something very special and it worth it!!!!
      I sometimes want to have a bird too. One that looks so cute!!

Download