Last updated at 12:54 GMT, Wednesday, 07 November 2012

Calendar 2012: Colours: November

The photo

Russia

When I think about orange colour, first of all I think about oranges. Because I love them! The cake I made myself and called it “Orange wonder”. It's not only very beautiful but it's also very tasty. It's nice to have tea with the cake when it's cool and rainy outside.

Galina Kompantseva, Russia

The recipe

Ingredients

For jelly
1 orange
1 glass of hot water (250 gram)
1.5 tablespoons gelatin
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

For cream
250g thick sour cream
3 tablespoons milk
100g sugar
1 orange

And 1 readymade (from a shop) flat dry shortbread or you can make it from
1 – 1.5 glasses flour
75 g butter
1/3 glass powdered (icing) sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (the skin of the lemon)
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar

Making a flat dry shortbread:
1. Mix all ingredients and make soft pastry. Form a ball, wrap it up in plastic food wrap and put into the fridge for an hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
3. Put baker`s paper on the bottom of a round tin (about 26 centimeter in diameter). Roll the pastry and put it into the tin. Bake 15 minutes and then leave it to cool down.

Making jelly
1. Pour a glass of hot water into a bowl with the grated rind (skin) of 1 orange and leave to cool. Pass the cool liquid through a sieve and add gelatin. Leave for at least half an hour to swell.
2. Then add sugar, juice from lemon and put the bowl in a water bath. Stir till the gelatin dissolves. Leave to cool.

Cream
1. Whisk the thick sour cream, milk and sugar in a mixer. Peel one orange, cut it in to pieces and add to the cream. Stir. Pour in half of the cool jelly, stir again and put all mixture on the shortbread in the tin. Place into the fridge for about 10 minutes.
2. Peel another orange, slice it up, put on top of the cream then pour the rest of jelly on the surface. Place into the fridge for a while to set the jelly.

Your comments

Tell us what you think about this photo. Each month throughout 2012 we'll be focussing on a different colour. This month our colour is orange. Galina recipe for her Orange Wonder cake will be coming soon. Do you have any orange recipes to share? We'll publish our favourite comments and recipes later this month.

The colour for December is "multicoloured". Do you have any multicoloured photos? You can email us your multicoloured photos. You should also send us a few lines about your photo. Please note that you should only send us your own photos and we can't guarantee to publish all photos submitted.

Comments

• 1. At 07:46am on 07 Nov 2012, Milena wrote:

Very nice photo, Galina! Could we also have a receipt for this wonderful cake, please.
      Milena from Serbia

• 2. At 3:22pm on 07 Nov 2012, Galina wrote:

Thank you, Milena!The cake is really tasty and it is easy to cook it. Are you interested in cooking? I prefer the cake where there is less pasta and more curds and fruit. And also I am collecting the recipes which don`t take a lot of time and easy to cook for the situations when the guests are coming. I can share some of them with photos which I have prepared for my future cookery book.
      Galina

• 3. At 3:56pm on 11 Nov 2012, Sandy wrote:

Hello Galina,
      This photo is very interesting for me. I like to eat cakes. I love baking cookies too. I have a lot recipes for cakes. When I eat cakes I feel nice with a lots energy.

• 4. At 10:42pm on 12 Nov 2012, Magusa wrote:

Hello Gallina,

Your photo is really tempting, I love oranges. I usually eat two o three oranges everyday in winter but I think I've never tried an orange cake. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to cook something so colorful.
      Magusa from Spain

• 5. At 2:42pm on 14 Nov 2012, Galina wrote:

Hello Magusa,
      You are happy because oranges are grown in your country and I am sure they are tastier than those we buy in our shops/ But anyway I love them very much. The region in Russia where I live now is much colder than the country which I leave two years ago. It has been snowing for two days.The ground will be covered by show till April. It`s a bit depressing for me. I am missing the sun days and early spring. By the way I`ve started to study Spanish with BBC. We do it together with my daughter/ And she was lucky to visit you country this summer and practice her Spanish. She liked very much when Spanish people address her "senora". And of course there were funny things when buying a top she used the word "comer" instead "comprar". We laughed a lot when she told about it. It`s very interesting to study languages. The more languages we know the easier to study new language. I often find the words which sound and have the same meaning in Russian or English and it helps learn new vocabulary. Studying Spanish on BBC I improve my English and study new language. And I know that after Spanish I`ll start learning Italian.Of course with BBC again!

• 6. At 6:42pm on 15 Nov 2012, Adriano wrote:

November its a very rainy month in Costa Rica. We drink orange juice to prevent flu.

• 7. At 1:29pm on 19 Nov 2012, Magusa wrote:

Hello Galina,

Thanks for your kind message. Your are right about the tasty Spanish oranges. They are, normally, juicy and sweet, The best moment to eat them is now, from November to February. I’m glad to know that you are studing Spanish, I didn’t know BBC gives Spanish classes, I’m sure they’ll do as well as they teach English. “Señora” is a polite way to address to a woman, this form was much more used in the past but it’s still very frequent. I’m glad you enjoyed the trip to Spain.

Magusa

• 8. At 12:40pm on 24 Nov 2012, selma wrote:

Hi Galina,
      I'm writing from Turkey and also have my recipe added here previously :)) At that time we've hadn't chance to respond to the comments received, I can see BBC upgraded the site. Anyway,
      your cake really looks delicious that I always love bakery products made with orange,
      Honestly, I am a little bit worried about gelatin, if it is healthy or not which debating on some platforms.
      Thanks for introducing "the orange color" to us with sharing a nice recipe :)))

• 9. At 04:23am on 27 Nov 2012, Galina wrote:

Hi Selma,
      Thank you for your comment and for warning about gelatin.To tell the truth, I've never heard about bad side of it. I'll try to find out more about it. But it might depend on the quality of the product. Any way, there are other recipes of cakes with oranges but without gelatin. I like cookery. I think it's a good idea to make a site where we could exchange traditional recipes of our countries.There is a link between culture and food, so we can learn more interesting things about each other. What do you think about it?

• 10. At 12:51pm on 30 Nov 2012, Galina wrote:

I thank everyone for comments on my recipe and wish Marry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• 11. At 03:19am on 02 Dec 2012, azuz wrote:

hi galina ...wow its really look delicious n fresh which i'm interested to try it :) thanks for sharing .. you should make a blog n put all ur recipe ;)

• 12. At 08:14am on 03 Dec 2012, Andrey wrote: