Last updated at 15:20 BST, Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Calendar 2012: Colours: September

The photo

Kiev

I took the photograph with lilac at Kiev in May, 2008 during my vacation.
Kiev is marvellous city more famous with flourishing chestnut-trees. But lilacs also make Kiev balmy.

Kind regards,
Kristina, Russia

Your comments

Tell us what you think about this photo. Each month throughout 2012 we'll be focussing on a different colour. This month our colour is purple. What English idioms or phrases do you know that contain the word purple? You should be able to find some on our website. We'll publish our favourite comments and give you some "purple" idioms and phrases later this month.

The colour for October is blue. Do you have any blue photos? You can email us your blue photos. You should also send us a few lines about your photo. Please note that you should only send us your own photos and we can't guarantee to publish all photos submitted. The colour for November is Orange.

Comments

• 1. At 2:06pm on 03 Sep 2012, mr_abdallah wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, we can see from this photo the power of creation by discovering the combination among colours Green, Purple, and of course Brown. So if I want to fashion some closes with these colours, for example: I suggest one brown trouser, with a green sweater, and a purple scarf or hat whish are compatible to this photo, and comfortable for eyes as well. what you think?

• 2. At 4:34pm on 03 Sep 2012, Helen Tang wrote:

The photo is beautiful, the color is bright, lilac are in blossom. From the photo we could imagine how beautiful and comfortable the environment is.

• 3. At 07:52am on 04 Sep 2012, Sumayya wrote:

The photograph is beautifully taken, depicting the Nature's colour combination, at its best. Purple interspersed with green. Looks heavenly.

• 4. At 2:49pm on 04 Sep 2012, Anastasia wrote:

Hi there!
      I'd like to share some of the phrases which I know with you!

"Purple heart" is an American medal given to soldiers who have been injured in war.

"To be purple in the face" or "to be purple with rage" means to be dark red in the face because of anger.

• 5. At 6:54pm on 15 Sep 2012, Maria wrote:

Wonderful photo that reminds us of the bright colours of summer! There nothing more perfect than the masterpieces created by nature...

Since ancient times purple colour has been the sign of wealth and authority. It was worn by emperors, senior magistrates and cardinals. This peculiarity is reflected in the idiom "born in (to) the purple" meaning "born into a reigning family or privileged class" (Oxford Dictionary).

• 6. At 8:30pm on 18 Sep 2012, gracolia wrote:

I like this photo by contrasting color and its intensity.It reminds me of Seville Easter with the purple clothers of some Religuous Figures.And of course,many green trees with white fowers of an unmistakable aroma orange blossom

• 7. At 8:34pm on 18 Sep 2012, gracolia wrote:

• 8. At 04:15am on 20 Sep 2012, Shepe wrote:

Purple is my favourite color,also this color remember me the favourite football team of my country called Saprisa.
      I am morado of heart.

• 9. At 7:00pm on 29 Sep 2012, Vyacheslav wrote:

I live in Kiev and if you really want to enjoy lilac's blossom you should visit our botanic garden in May! It's really wonderful!

Download