Last updated at 15:11 BST, Monday, 09 July 2012

Calendar 2012: Colours: July

The photo

Greece

I took this photograph in the evening light on the boat that brought me from Santorin to Paros in the Greek Cyclad islands in the Mediterranean Sea.

As the sun was going down the light went in a silver color where a fishing boat appeared only as a shape and Ios island far away in the horizon.

The color of the sea was then so close to the precious metal that it illuminated the whole scenery bringing wealth energy and reflection all around.

Best regards,

Jean-Louis Puech, Toulouse, France

Your comments

Tell us what you think about this photo. Each month throughout 2012 we'll be focussing on a different colour. This month our colour is silver or grey. What English idioms or phrases do you know that contain the word silver? You should be able to find some on our website. We'll publish our favourite comments and give you some "silver" idioms and phrases later this month.

The colour for August is gold. Do you have any gold photos? You can email us your gold photos. You should also send us a few lines about your photo. Please note that you should only send us your own photos and we can't guarantee to publish all photos submitted. The colour for September is purple and for October is blue!

Comments

• 1. At 04:49am on 10 Jul 2012, lisban wrote:

• 2. At 1:53pm on 10 Jul 2012, lisban wrote:

nice picture.there is a beauty in the silver singing sea. somehow this photo even seems wonderfully nostalgic.this is one of my favorite color,so i like this photo verymuch.

• 3. At 6:56pm on 10 Jul 2012, Viktoriia wrote:

How wonderful this photo is. It reminds me about vacation coming soon and I will enjoy the sea,sun and beatiful landscapes like at this photo. Thank you! I am feeling now like I am there and swimming in the sea^)

• 4. At 7:01pm on 10 Jul 2012, Cristina Giné wrote:

IDIOM: be born with a silver spoon in one's mouth.

That means that somebody has been born in a wealthy family and probably doesn't need to work for a living.

• 5. At 10:38pm on 12 Jul 2012, Tecky wrote:

Wow, the peace and calm this pic conveys is something!!...It also made me think of my forth coming vacation : )))
      Hummm, the IDIOM I thought of is:
      " Every cloud has a silver lining" meaning we can always take something positive or good from a seemingly bad or unpleasant situation : D

• 6. At 7:40pm on 13 Jul 2012, Igor wrote:

Simply incredible! I'm jealous of you! hehe

• 7. At 5:40pm on 14 Jul 2012, Igyn wrote:

To my mind, the boat illustrates my future trip to another distant country for a long time, where will be a lot of unknown things and obstacles which I will overcome and silver is an objective color means that every previous action will pay off in a bad or in a good way in my future travel.)))
      Thank you!

• 8. At 02:05am on 15 Jul 2012, shyammohamed wrote:

What a relief that i feel when i watch this wonderful pi!I wish i were a photographer ,so as to take pics like this,thank Allah for this beauty &thank you Jean for this pic.
      By the way silver color remind me the idiom i have learnt from the teacher it says( born with silver tongue)that means you are a lucky person.

• 9. At 02:14am on 15 Jul 2012, shyammohamed wrote:

sorry, forgive me I made a mistake about the idiom it was (silver tongued) means that you are a friendly person and talk well to people,While the idiom (born with a silver spoon in your mouth) means you are a lucky person

• 10. At 06:04am on 16 Jul 2012, Sean wrote:

When I look at the picture, the only thing I felt was loneliness.
      Sea whispered: " Where you going, my dear? "
      Boat answered: " I am on the way to my home sweet home. "

Silver-tongued - Eloquent
      If someone has a silver-tongued, he/ she is very persuasive.

• 11. At 10:21am on 19 Jul 2012, OlyaPushinka wrote:

This nice photo reminds me my summer vacation in Greece in 2011. I also visited Santorini by a ferry. I was absolutely stricken by the beauty of the Sea and wonderful nature of Santorini. Santorini was the brightest impression I got that time. So this very picture make me calm and happy. I enjoy the peaks of the volcanic mountains which are in the background of the the photo, and I admire the Sun reflecting in the sea slick. I like very much the way in which this photo was taken: sunbeams make the air and the sky still and silver.

One can meet the word "silver" in the next proverb: "Cross smbd`s hand with silver", meaning that smbd to get something from an another person should give him/her some money :)

• 12. At 1:22pm on 25 Jul 2012, Onepiece3 wrote:

I am really fond of Greece and Italy because of it's wonderful scenery and the classical structures

• 13. At 6:00pm on 26 Jul 2012, cris wrote:

This picture bring us the miracle of to live happy.

• 14. At 11:53am on 29 Jul 2012, shymaa166 wrote:

a breath-taking picture and taken from a wonderful angle!! I have to say this pic reminds me of the River Nile at sunset where everybody goes in harmony with the relaxing atmosphere there. the very first idiom comes off my mind is " born with a silver spoon"

• 15. At 6:54pm on 13 Aug 2012, sonia durao wrote:

When I was a child, I heard many times my mother saying: when a child has his/her first teeth, the person, who saw the teeth first, must give an silver object (gneraly a little silver spoon) to the baby. Sometimes she gave silver gifts. This silver object was given with the intention that the child's teeth were beautiful and strong.

• 16. At 5:47pm on 01 Sep 2012, lagmayc wrote:

The image above represents the serenity and peacfullness of the ocean that beyond any challenges that we encounter in life, there will come a time that nature cooperates with us. As the boat in the ocean moves on, there is a final destination that one awaits and what install for us. Patience is virtue as what they say.

Download