Last updated at 15:22 BST, Thursday, 26 April 2012

Calendar 2012: Colours: April

The photo

Switzerland

This picture was taken in Lochezen in Walenstadt, Switzerland, on 10th October 2011. They are all engineers looking toward the same place. They were waiting for an important test on a rockfall barrier. The barrier stops a boulder of 20 metric tons in a free fall of 43 meters in Geobrugg's test facility Lochezen.

I am Geotechnical Engineer in Chile. During the test I got on a scaffold and I took that picture to my colleagues, all were Geobrugg guests from around the world, waiting the test. In the other picture (below) you could see the scaffold and in background the rockfall barrier. This barrier resisted a concrete block of 20 ton and 43 m fall height, world record test.

Alejandro, Chile

Barrier test

This is where I was standing when I took the photo!

Your comments

Tell us what you think about this photo. Each month throughout 2012 we'll be focussing on a different colour. This month our colour is yellow. What English idioms or phrases do you know that contain the word yellow? You should be able to find some on our website. We'll publish our favourite comments and give you some "yellow" idioms and phrases later this month.

The colour for May is pink. Do you have any pink photos? You can email us your pink photos. You should also send us a few lines about your photo. Please note that you should only send us your own photos and we can't guarantee to publish all photos submitted.

Comments

• 1. At 10:18pm on 03 Apr 2012, loretta wrote:

Yellow remembers sun and light, lemons. It's a positive and happy colour and where I work I must wear a yellow uniform.
      Unfortunately it reminds me an orrible page of history: in Germany during nazi period jewish people has to wear a discriminating yellow star.
      In nature animals use yellow, like red, as a colour of warning.
      I learnt from your english lessons that yellow is connected with cowardice.
      These are my first impressions,thanks to BBC for this beautiful site.goodbye everybody.

• 2. At 02:24am on 04 Apr 2012, Adam wrote:

I couldn't imagine if i were there...anyway, the way you took the pictures was great Alejandro..
      Cheers>>>Adam from Aceh-Indonesia

• 3. At 08:21am on 04 Apr 2012, asmantop wrote:

in my country, we have 'yellow jacket', that is the biggest campus in my own country....

*yellow jacket meaning to color of symbolic campus and dominant campus.

• 4. At 1:10pm on 04 Apr 2012, mrosa wrote:

Thanks to all the engineers who are thinking about new experiments arround the world helping everybody to have better quality of life .
      Thanks to BBC and its teachers who helps us to improve our level of English. Congratulations! have a good luck!

• 5. At 9:13pm on 04 Apr 2012, Gilberto from Brazil wrote:

yellow is one of the colours of brazilian flag that represent the ore..

• 6. At 12:57pm on 07 Apr 2012, Tereza wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot remember any English idiom connected with yellow. But I am looking forward to learning some of them in your programmes.

• 7. At 2:07pm on 07 Apr 2012, Moon wrote:

• 8. At 11:09am on 09 Apr 2012, catontheradio wrote:

This colour reminds me of Donovan's song "Mellow Yellow".

• 9. At 2:58pm on 09 Apr 2012, Zulfiya wrote:

I don’t like so much yellow colour, but this colour reminds me the most valuable things in my life such as the Sun, my father’s old T-shirt, my fish and my first ABC book. Thanks to God that we can perceive colours and feel the world.

• 10. At 01:22am on 10 Apr 2012, Roserock wrote:

For me, The yellow color reminds me of the painting Van Gogh Sunflowers, Sunflowers for the Sun exerts its attraction, living your domain.

• 11. At 6:36pm on 10 Apr 2012, sonia durao wrote:

In my country when one person gives up, run away from a difficult situation, for example, jump very high to dive and run away in the right moment, we say that he "amarelou" (=chickened). Like Loretta said: "yellow is connected with cowardice"
      Yellow represents wealth, gold, sun and is the Vatican's colour.

• 12. At 01:43am on 13 Apr 2012, Mirandinha wrote:

I'm a Material Engineer. Unfortunately, we don't wear a yellow cap.

• 13. At 2:04pm on 13 Apr 2012, azuz wrote:

yellow is my favourite colour:) a colour that can be noticed.. Because of the high visibility of bright yellow, it is often used for hazard signs and some emergency vehicles. Yellow is cheerful,it denotes happiness and joy but on the other hand yellow is the color of cowardice and deceit.
      there's some idioms that have relation with yellow that i've just learned like :
      * Yellow ribbon - hope, support, remembrance
      * Mellow yellow - laid back, relaxation
      * Yellow streak or Yellow-bellied - cowardice or coward
      * Yellow journalism - irresponsible reporting

• 14. At 2:10pm on 13 Apr 2012, azuz wrote:

thanks Alejandro for sharing this awesome useful information and thanks too for bbc learning for letting us learn and share new stuff :)

• 15. At 5:38pm on 15 Apr 2012, Sandy wrote:

I like yellow color. Yellow is color sun, gold, flowers...
      I like to wear yellow clothing. I like yellow flowers. Many people think, when the man wears the yellow shirt, he is jealous.

• 16. At 04:55am on 24 Apr 2012, keti wrote:

When I decided to write about yellow, I tried to remember yellow things, but suddenly it appeared to be quite complicated for me. The only things that came to mind was a traffic light and a few flowers. I  remembered my box of coloured pencils, which I used to draw with when I was a child. The yellow pencil was always almost untouched in comparison with the others. I used to use it only for the sun or sun rays. Even as a traffic light yellow isn't a leading colour, it's a mediator between moving and stopping. However it has a very interesting feature, it can change the tone of most other colours, making them more soft and less harsh.

• 17. At 2:45pm on 24 Apr 2012, Veronica wrote:

The second photo is very impressive. I like yellow color. I remember the song "Yellow Submarine" of Beatles.

Veronica, from Mexico.