Last updated at 10:54 GMT, Tuesday, 07 February 2012

Calendar 2012: Colours: February

The photo

Mushroom, Russia

I went mushrooming in the woods in September 2011. The Moscow region was full of mushrooms in September and October this year.

Nevertheless, a fly-agaric by far the most attractive for taking a photos. One of the most toxic and at the same time one of the most beautiful toadstool.

It is bright and red. So, if you are in the forest, you have not a chance to ignore such a sight!

Olga Torgasheva

Your comments

Tell us what you think about this photo. Each month throughout 2012 we'll be focussing on a different colour. This month our colour is red. What English idioms do you know that contain the word red? You should be able to find some on our website. We'll publish our favourite comments and give you some "red" idioms later this month.

The colour for March is green and for April, yellow. Do you have any green or yellow photos? You can email us your green photos or email us your yellow photos. You should also send us a few lines about your photo. Please note that you should only send us your own photos and we can't guarantee to publish all photos submitted.

Comments

• 1. At 3:12pm on 04 Feb 2012, sonia durao wrote:

I've never seen a red mushroom! It's very cute and different. I know three idioms with "red". 1)- If I never have enough money to pay my bills, I'm always in the red (= in debt). 2)- A red carpet (that means a special honors for special person) is placed to receive important persons like Oscar party in Hollywood. 3)- Red tape is used for complicated official procedures and forms. Ex.: I need a new passport I have to go through a lot of red tape.

• 2. At 10:43pm on 04 Feb 2012, Nazar Y Khaleel wrote:

Hi everyone
      How can you imagine a person doesn’t have a job and a red cent? No job no money makes him like a red rag to a bull. Don’t you have common opinion that this may lead him one day to be caught red-handed taking money from a shop? And because he doesn't finish the robbery he will really see red.

• 3. At 3:56pm on 05 Feb 2012, almond78 wrote:

I was in a delight if this photo! Thanks a lot for it! I was always interested in these mushrooms. An idiom about red - "to be in the red".

• 4. At 6:11pm on 05 Feb 2012, aliceeali wrote:

the red is my preferite colour ,but the amanita muscaria ( its italian name) isn't a good mushroom. help me if i will to eat it!!!! i study its medicinal properties and it is was very interesting for me and for my job, because i'm a farmacist ......see you soon,bye

• 5. At 6:12pm on 05 Feb 2012, aliceeali wrote:

red is my preferite colour

• 6. At 1:10pm on 06 Feb 2012, Van Dorn wrote:

I heard about this mushroom, they told me this is hallucinogen, has a good taste and we can find them on pine trees.

BBC Learning English says: be careful: this mushroom can be poisonous

• 7. At 8:46pm on 08 Feb 2012, Kristy wrote:

Hy!
      Red is one of my favourit colors. I like to wear red clothes.

• 8. At 10:10am on 12 Feb 2012, Tereza wrote:

There are lots of these red mushrooms in Czech forests. They looks very nice but it is not clever to eat them because they are poisonous. The usual brown mushrooms are a better choice...

• 9. At 5:27pm on 14 Feb 2012, adam wrote:

• 10. At 5:30pm on 14 Feb 2012, adam wrote:

• 11. At 08:13am on 16 Feb 2012, Leonid199rus wrote:

Russian elk (moose) like to eat this red mushrooms. However I suspect that we aren't mushrooming in October in Russia. It's too late. Usually we doing this since July till September.

• 12. At 04:22am on 27 Apr 2012, cando8x wrote:

Thank you for beautiful photo, its so different. The red also is my favourite color

• 13. At 04:42am on 11 May 2012, tutrinh wrote:

It is beautiful photo so I have ever seen it. It has a bright red color . you should be careful because it has the poisonous. this phôt makes me think that " the beauty is but skind deep".. thanks for your photo a lot !

• 14. At 11:30am on 09 Aug 2012, Carrie4 wrote: