Listen to Emily making mince pies at home
Ingredients for 12 mince pies
This recipe was based on two recipes from BBC Food. See the links on the right-hand side of the page.
Ingredients for the mincemeat
• 100g/3½oz butter
• 200g/7oz soft dark brown sugar
• 250ml/9fl.oz apple juice
• 2 tsp ground mixed spice
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp ginger
• pinch of grated nutmeg
• 250g/9oz Bramley apples (cooking apples)
• 200g/7oz sultanas
• 200g/7oz raisins
• 100g/3½oz dried cranberries
• 150g/7oz dates, finely chopped
• 50g/1½oz crystallised ginger, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
• 150ml ginger wine
Ingredients for the pastry
• 200g/7oz plain flour, sifted
• 40g/1½oz golden caster sugar
• 75g/2¾oz ground almonds
• 125g/4½oz unsalted butter, diced
• 2 small free-range eggs, beaten (but keep 2 tbsp beaten egg to glaze)
How to make the mincemeat
- Put the dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, cranberries, dates) in a bowl and stir in 100ml ginger wine. Leave to soak overnight.
- Put the butter, sugar, apple juice, ginger and all the spices in a saucepan, and leave on a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Peel, quarter, core and finely chop the apples. Add the chopped apples to the pan, along with the dried fruit and lemon zest, stirring well.
- Bring to the boil, and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the apples have softened, then set aside.
- Add the rest of the ginger wine (50ml) and allow to cool.
How to make the mince pies
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Lightly butter a 12-hole pie tin.
- Place the flour, sugar, almonds and butter into a bowl. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients by hand until resembling breadcrumbs, then stir in the egg.
- Bring the mixture together with your hands, wrap in clingfilm and chill for an hour. Thinly roll out the pastry on a floured surface. Cut out 12 circles with a fluted pastry cutter, large enough to fill the base of the prepared tin. Press gently into each hole, then fill with the mincemeat.
- Cut out another 12 slightly smaller discs and use to cover the mincemeat. Press the edges together to seal. Make a small slit in the top of each, then brush lightly with the rest of the beaten egg.
- Bake the pies for 20 minutes in the oven until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and serve warm.
The finished mince pies
Comments are now closed.