Last updated at 14:45 BST, Friday, 17 June 2011

Vocabulary

well-built

big, broad

smart

well-dressed, neat and tidy

strict

demanding that rules be followed

getting on a bit

growing old (informal)

stern

serious and demanding that rules be followed

fair

treating everyone equally

You have to understand his little ways

You have to know and accept the strange things about his character, his unusual habits

He's looked after me

He's protected me and helped me

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

How would you describe your father?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 1:47pm on 17 Jun 2011, kyntire wrote:

I would describe my father as some sort of a hidden diamond because I am sure he was a special person and he did love me deeply. He had his own views about life, taught me just by his example the respect due to work, a massive sense of responsability and the immense value of personal dignity in every aspects of life.
      Unfortunately he passed away when I was quite young, but I am sure he could have been able to "shine" much more, had the circumstances been different. Anyway ... I try to think me lucky for having had him, and not too sad for having lost him too early.

• 2. At 9:09pm on 17 Jun 2011, Rodrigo Fascin Berni wrote:

My father sends me peace, it is a very correct person. He has always been hardworking, honest, integrity and fairness. Today we live almost 3000 miles apart. He was a rice farmer, but now he is 100% dedicated for real passion, writing. I try to follow his new accomplishments, poems, haiku and lyrics. But unfortunately my work and other responsibilities do not allow me to do it so often. These same needs and responsibilities took him away from me and my brothers for many years, and I did not understand. Now I see how much sacrifice have a father to do for his childrens, and how is very expensive for his life, because all the time without your son, no one brings it back to you.

• 3. At 10:09pm on 17 Jun 2011, max wrote:

Hi kyntire,
      I'd like to say you that your description is very beautyful. I couldn't say so intense words on my father, but I wonder that he look like at yours and teach me many important things, even if I think your father was a very special person.

• 4. At 10:53pm on 17 Jun 2011, Cristina from Buenos Aires wrote:

My father was a hard-working man, optimistic and always had a smile on his face. He taught me how to see the good side of everything. He never told me off, even if I was very naughty. However, I used to behave well when I was with him. He was lovely and very well loved by his family and friends. He could manage to leave us a support in life before he died. Unfortunately, he passed away when I was 11. He was going to be 48 the next day. I have very good memories and I'll always remember him.

• 5. At 03:33am on 18 Jun 2011, eric wrote:

I must admit,my father is a very hard-working man.He is very silence and,sometimes even to say he is a very very cold to the all family.I never feel a liittle tender love from my father,he also doesn't know my sensitive characteristics,so often i was hurt by these difficult described feeling.

• 6. At 08:15am on 18 Jun 2011, Lily wrote:

My father never talks to me too much and never teaches anything directly. However, he's responsible to look after our family and be a hard-working father. I find it hard to describe him actually, as I don't understand him. As long as he is concerned, there's just money that he cares about. I'm seeking a job recently, he never asks me about my will and my feelings, but instead of salary. I know there's a serious economical problem of our family and it's difficult to solve. Dad, I am graduated from the university, I promise that I will find a job soon, helping you ease your burden.

• 7. At 08:17am on 18 Jun 2011, Lily wrote:

• 8. At 10:17am on 18 Jun 2011, wetterb wrote:

Thanks very much for this short movie. It's a well-done one I've enjoyed it a lot!

• 9. At 11:24am on 18 Jun 2011, Jeevan wrote:

I'm unlucky because when i was 13 years old he passed away. i'm feeling still. i couldn't remember more about my father even though when celebrate any family funcions i couldn't forget.... he was great and earned for us.If anyone ask who is son? so i tell my fathers name that time they will ask oh...u r that Gunam's son....so still u alive with me!

• 10. At 4:44pm on 18 Jun 2011, Tereza wrote:

I love my father very much and I know he loves me and my brother maybe even more. He would do almost everything for us; I wolud say, he is sometimes too kind and too patient. He is also very friendly, he loves humour and he tells jokes very often.

• 11. At 5:02pm on 18 Jun 2011, qahnda wrote:

I would like to describe my father as a great person in my life.He was smart and always calm. He passed away when I was quite young, if he was alive now things would be better in my life now.

• 12. At 6:04pm on 18 Jun 2011, anna_nguyen wrote:

My Dad is the greatest man in my heart. Take care of us, worry for our health and education, working hard to make our dream ( and also his dream) become true and always hope that we will happy in our life...
      I love him too much!!!!!! as well as my Mon :X
      I wish my parents the health and the greatest happiness. :)

• 13. At 6:57pm on 18 Jun 2011, hind wrote:

My father is relegious and very strict ;I was not agree with him in many times;but i really love him and i know that he looked after me until this time.

• 14. At 02:19am on 19 Jun 2011, Big Salt wrote:

I can explain my father with "pure" person.
      He was the youngest son of my grandparents. He and his family lived in Kyusyu which is the southern area of Japan. But, he came to Tokyo and married my Mather whom he met when he studied for some months in Tokyo.
      After that, he had been working for her and 3 sons including me in Tokyo where is apart from his hometown. It passes more than 40 years.
      In last October, we went to his hometown and met some his relatives. There were many history of him.
      I felt full of the feelings of thanks for his "pure" effort.

• 15. At 03:39am on 19 Jun 2011, Nico wrote:

my father,apparently is a brave businessman.When he see a chance,he go for it directly.He's also very devoted to his family,always try to look after me and my mother perfectly.But there were times that we were discontent with each other' behaviors and quarrelled,like,what kind of person should I choose to be my future husband.....This is quite a chinese-like question between father and daughter,and like others,we have different opinions on this.....Anyway,except for a little androcentrism,he absolutely deserve the"good father"call.

• 16. At 05:19am on 19 Jun 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

Though, I only spent a 28 year life with him, I'd learnt a lot of things that I didn't get from any books or any schools. I applies them to this 'not-free-and-easy life'. And at the end, I know I'm different from others. :)

• 17. At 08:07am on 21 Jun 2011, chloe wrote:

My father was a good and honest man. He was always kind to everyone. He worked very hard for our family. He was not good at talking. His always enjoyed watching or listening to my sister and me when we were being at home. I know he loved us although he never tell us. Now I worked and lived in an another city far away from him, he called my even everyweek with littles things to talk about. Maybe for him , our voice was the best sound he ever heard.

• 18. At 08:24am on 21 Jun 2011, eng_Bahaa_83 wrote:

My dear father;what would i say about you.you are very kind and faithful to all around you.for almost 30 years you never stingy to one of your family by effort;fund or any thing else you can do to make them happy.standing behind your children have made them all in a good position especially me.I'll never forget the first time you came to see me in my first day in the engineering collage and your face was full of tears I want now to kiss your hands and legs for every thing you have do for me

• 19. At 9:35pm on 26 Jun 2011, hassan hureshi wrote:

My father was a good man, I realy want to be like him.
      He was excellent example for smart man. He is now no longer with me, but i follow his instruction strictly.

Downloads

To take away:

Father's Day

• Arthur and his dad, Arthur

Watch

Find out about a cafe that has been passed from father to son
      • William Kremer and his father

Listen

Learn some phrases related to fatherhood with William and a special guest
      • Father and baby

Quiz

Try our crossword about fathers
      1. Home