Last updated at 12:03 GMT, Monday, 21 March 2011

St. Patrick's Day around the world

Photos from around the world celebrating Ireland's National Holiday, St. Patrick's Day. Legend has it that St. Patrick got rid of all the snakes in Ireland!

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig | Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Two young women with shamrocks painted on their faces pose during St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Now tell us what you think

How would you like to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 8:55pm on 18 Mar 2011, hind wrote:

First time i hear this day ,what is the story of it?

• 2. At 9:05pm on 18 Mar 2011, Daria_Green wrote:

Unfortunately, I've never celebrated it, because it's out of our local traditions. But I like this holiday very much, because I like green colour! =) I'd like to celebrate it by wearing green clothes and having a picnic and open-air party!=)

• 3. At 10:31pm on 18 Mar 2011, Aslanhuseyin wrote:

I am so sorry, I don't know but I wonder too..

• 4. At 3:31pm on 19 Mar 2011, Miona wrote:

Today, people celebrate the day with parades, wearing of the green and decorate everywhere into green.

• 5. At 01:19am on 20 Mar 2011, BBC Learning English wrote:

St. Patrick is the patron saint or national saint of Ireland. He is often linked with the shamrock, which is the green leaf with three petals. It is a public holiday and Irish people around the world celebrate every year on March 17th. You can read more about St. Patrick on this BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/saints/patrick_1.shtml

• 6. At 01:32am on 21 Mar 2011, marcia wrote:

I think you could show us the true Saint Patrick's day in Ireland. I would like to celebrate the Saint Patrick's day in Ireland with a lot music and and a lot dance.

• 7. At 12:04pm on 21 Mar 2011, BBC Learning English wrote:

@marcia I've added a photo from the St. Patrick's Day parade in Dublin to the photo gallery. I hope you like it!

• 8. At 7:33pm on 22 Mar 2011, aldo rene wrote:

Awesome, all pictures show great celebration around the world. It makes me eager to visit Ireland and be part of St. Patrick day
      Congratulations¡¡

• 9. At 9:11pm on 22 Mar 2011, svetlana wrote:

And we at our foreign languages department in Armavir, Russia, had a wonderful Phonetic Competition, titled IRISH POETRY, just on St. Patrick's Day. Our students were reciting poems by W.B. Yeats, Th. Moore, J. Swift, O. Wilde, etc. The singing group "From Folklore to Jazz" were performing Cockles and Mussels and the Luck of the Irish. All the contestants were reading Irish Blessings (as there were 46 of them, we, the jury, were listening to these beautiful lines for 46 times!!!). The audience also enjoyed the clips of the Celtic Woman, admiring their Dunaman, Spanish Lady, the Last Rose of Summer. It was absolutely marvellous!!! Everyone was wearing a shamrock!

• 10. At 10:38pm on 23 Mar 2011, Anacoltro wrote:

I dont know about this celebration.
      In my country doesnt have.
      But i think it is wonderful!

• 11. At 05:38am on 24 Mar 2011, Chia Chong wrote:

There were lots of celebration in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, during the St Patrick's month, very happening and lively.

What's new?