Last updated at 11:30 BST, Friday, 17 September 2010

Rice with milk

Menchu

This recipe was sent in by Menchu from Spain

It is a typical Spanish dessert, it’s sweet and cheap. I hope you like my recipe.

Menchu

The finished dish

Ingredients (for 4-5 people)

• 1000 ml milk
  • 150 gr. sugar
  • 150 gr. rice
  • 1 stick of cinnamon
  • Cinnamon powder
  • The peel of a lemon

Instructions

1. Put the milk, cinnamon stick and lemon peel into a saucepan.
  2. Bring the milk to the boil.
  3. As soon as it has boiled, remove the cinnamon and the lemon, using a colander.
  4. Add the rice and cook for 20 minutes.
  5. Add sugar and cook (medium-high heat) for 15 or 20 minutes. It must be light yellow.
  6. Serve on individual plates or in a deep plate.
  7. When the dessert is cold sprinkle with cinnamon powder.

Your comments

What do you think of this recipe? Have you tried it?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 7:56pm on 18 Sep 2010, milica wrote:

Rice with milk is nice delicacy in many countries, in my Serbia too.. enjoy it ... Milica

• 2. At 8:37pm on 18 Sep 2010, manolo wrote:

It dish is quite know along my country but we likes to eat it with plenty of milk's sweet, may already you know this kind of sweet is very popular in Argentina.
      The rice with milk always bring me back to my chilhood. It was bound that my mom cooked it for me many times on winter.

• 3. At 10:13am on 19 Sep 2010, DoraCan wrote:

Ñam ñam Delicious!!!! but I'm on a diet :(

• 4. At 10:22am on 22 Sep 2010, Amita Sengupta wrote:

This is a common dessert of Bengal,India.It's served during any auspicious occasion.It's called "Payesh" or Rice Pudding.Instead of cinnamon,Cardamom powder and Raisins are added.During winter when the molasses is available made from juices of Date-Palm trees,it's used with sugar for sweetness.It enhances the taste and colour of the Rice pudding.

• 5. At 6:59pm on 23 Sep 2010, Mari wrote:

It is a common dessert in Brazil too. Here is called "arroz doce" or sweet rice. It's very delicious. Here lemon isn't used, but I think that it is a good idea.

• 6. At 10:49pm on 24 Sep 2010, Sevales wrote:

I agree that many countries have this delicious dessert; i guess it was easy to discover:)
      In Turkey we have two kind of Rice and milk( called SÜTLAÇ); one of them is like Mencu's recipe which is called plain SÜTLAÇ and other one definitely more delicious, called SÜTLAÇ in oven..while cooking rice and milk put a scrambled egg and mix altogether..when it's done divide into some flameproof deep plates and put them oven until their surfaces get a little burned..

yumiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii:))

• 7. At 10:25pm on 28 Sep 2010, Astheart wrote:

In the Czech Republic we call it "Rýžová kaše" and mostly children love it. We serve it with fresh or preserved fruit of jam, cocoa powder or chocolate as well. Yummy!

• 8. At 5:34pm on 01 Oct 2010, mariastef wrote:

oh, it's marvellous, I know it. I studied in Spain.
      But in august I bought in Lyon (France) a powder called "riz au lait des amants" that is a kind of rice and milk with ginger and mint... very good.
      bye

• 9. At 8:42pm on 04 Oct 2010, Kátia wrote:

Delicious!!! It's the same in Brazil, but we call it "Sweet Rice".

• 10. At 09:42am on 05 Oct 2010, mariglena wrote:

Uau
      Hi I'm Marilena, and I live in Italy bat my origin are from Albania.
      In Albania too this desert is very used, and is my preferit.
      Complimento a la chica Espanola que ha propuesto este dulce :)

• 11. At 2:23pm on 05 Oct 2010, turcam wrote:

Gracias , by the way, It is pretty similar with one of Turkish recipe called sütlaç.

• 12. At 6:13pm on 07 Oct 2010, Janis_is_here wrote:

That's a very popular and delicious dessert from Peru, to be more exact. Here it is known as Arroz con leche and it's very well-known in Lima. Of course the right translation is Rice with milk, but from the ingredients, it is definitely our Peruvian dessert.

• 13. At 8:05pm on 08 Oct 2010, hind wrote:

we have a same dish in algeria ;but we use a milled rice;it is a famous dish in the north of the country ;it called "mhalbi";and we usually prepare in "ramadan".

• 14. At 08:51am on 09 Oct 2010, zsoraya wrote:

It's also a common dessert in algeria, it's easy to prepare it and very delicious and good for the chlidren.

• 15. At 4:17pm on 14 Oct 2010, The Rice King wrote:

Hello everybody.

This is a delicious Spanish recipe. However, it is an international dessert.

I recommend adding the sugar in a different order. Menchu said to add the sugar in step 5. However I usually add the sugar when the milk is hot and before it starts to boil, between step 1 and 2. Add the sugar and stir it with a spoon.

This is better because the milk absorbs the sugar and when you add the rice it is sweeter.

I hope you enjoy, it is an excellent dessert. It reminds me of my childhood.

• 16. At 10:11pm on 16 Oct 2010, latinoamazonico wrote:

I really like it. In Colombia we have a similar dessert and when you serve you can add some parmessan chesse. It is really delicious. Sometimes, people add rassins or chopped coconut.

• 17. At 04:34am on 17 Oct 2010, teamowine wrote:

It sounds like a new dessert to me. Putting cinnamon and sugar!
      quite much of sugar, isn't it? Brown sugar would be much heathier, I guess :) I should try this dessert. Thanks for your recipe.

• 18. At 08:55am on 17 Oct 2010, miada wrote:

I always ate it when i was a child, hot and without sugar. Thanks for the recipe!

• 19. At 09:30am on 19 Oct 2010, Seongjin Im wrote:

Oh, I've never seen this one before. But there is similar one in Korea. Korean calls this one 'jook'.

• 20. At 9:44pm on 23 Oct 2010, fernandobraña wrote:

Of course I've tried it. I don't know how many times but from my early childhood I've eaten rice with milk very often. My mum used to cook it as a dessert for me and my sisters every Sunday. My granmothers also cooked it and my mother in laws rice with milk is excellent and my son now loves in it ( he's two and a half years old)
      In Spain it is most typical of Asturias where every traditional food restaurant has it in their menus and tourists from other parts of Spain love it.
      There's a new version of it which is rice with chocolate milk and it's great too but I prefer the traditional dessert because I love the cinamon taste.
      My wife also cooks a delicious rice with milk
      Cheers from Asturias!!

• 21. At 1:10pm on 26 Oct 2010, merve ozan wrote:

This dessert name is "sütlaç" in Turkey and it is a a traditional dessert.

• 22. At 11:40pm on 26 Oct 2010, Tony wrote:

This was a standard dessert when I was a child in Wales over 70 years ago. Long standing British recipe

• 23. At 06:03am on 28 Oct 2010, Naheed wrote:

It's a simple and easy to make dish. I would love to try it soon. Rice dessert is also common in Pakistan but is made with a bit of variation. Thanks for sharing the taste of Spain!

• 24. At 2:45pm on 03 Nov 2010, awaheed wrote:

This is very popular dessert in Pakistan and it is called KHEER in urdu language. It is a one of my favorite dessert.
      Abdul Waheed

• 25. At 07:26am on 11 Feb 2011, Amrita Alam Sandhy wrote:

As I'm with sweet teeth, I love different kinds of sweet dishes. The dish u have shared with us is quite popular in our country.It's like a traditional sweet dish for us.we make this with much love in different occasions like birthday celebration, Pahela boishakh (the first day of Bengali Year) and so on. On top of that in the winter season we make this dish with date juice or raw sugar( made with date juice). Oh one thing more, We called this dish Fiirni or Paayesh or Khir In Bangladesh. To sum up, I love to thank You for this Well known sweet dish.Yeap, I love it.

Downloads