This is a traditional Belgian recipe and should be served with mashed potatoes. It serves 4 people.
Sigrid and her students
- 8 heads of chicory
- 8 slices of cooked ham
- 50g of butter
- 50g of flour
- Â˝ litre of milk
- 75g of Parmesan cheese
- 150g gruyĂ¨re cheese for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 170Â°C (gas mark 3).
- Remove the bitter part of the chicory.
- Melt some butter in a pan and add the chicory. Season with pepper and salt.
- Allow the chicory to brown on all sides.
- Take your chicory out of the pan and wrap each piece in a slice of ham.
- Put each wrapped piece in an ovenproof dish.
- Make your cheese sauce by melting 50g of butter. Add 50g of flour. Stir and allow to fry for a few minutes. Take your pan off the heat and gradually add the milk with a whisk. Stir constantly to avoid lumps. Add your Parmesan cheese, some nutmeg and pepper and stir well.
- Pour your sauce over your wrapped pieces of chicory and put some grated cheese on top of the dish.
- Put this dish into a pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Enjoy your meal!
What do you think of this recipe? Have you tried it?
Send in your comments and we'll put our favourites on this page.
This topic has now closed. Thanks for all your comments.