This is a very popular Bangaldeshi recipe
- 3 cups fine rice
- 1 cup of split yellow lentils (dry-fried)
- Âľ cup oil
- 8 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Â˝ teaspoon crushed turmeric
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- ÂĽ teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 onions peeled and sliced
- 4 pods of cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole green chili, chopped
- 3 pieces of cinnamon
- Salt:as required
- Pour some water into the rice and let it soften a little for 20 minutes. Then mix the rice with the lentils and next with crushed ginger, garlic and turmeric.
- Pour oil into a saucepan. When it is hot, add the onion followed by cardamom, clove, bay leaves, cinnamon and salt. Keep the heat low.
- When the onions turn a little brownish, add the mixture of rice, lentils and spices and stir them as much as possible.
- When it is fried enough add boiling water; stir well and cover it with a lid. Raise the heat. Keep stirring now and then, opening the lid. When it starts to simmer and the water and the solid mixture are leveled on the surface, add the chilies. Keep the heat low and keep it like that for to 20 minutes. Open the lid and stir in the melted butter . Keep it covered with the lid for 5 more minutes and you are ready to serve.
What do you think of this recipe? Have you tried it?
Send in your comments and we'll put our favourites on this page.
This topic has now closed. Thanks for all your comments.