Find out how to give yourself the best possible chance in reading exams. First, learn to read in the way these exams require. Practise reading quickly and understanding the meaning of a text. In the exam, remember to plan your time very carefully. Read the whole text before you start to answer any questions.
- Before the exam, practise reading quickly and understanding the meaning of what you read.
- In the exam, plan your time effectively.
- Read the whole text before you try to answer any questions.
- Mark the places in the text where you will find the answers.
- Pay attention to summary sentences - usually the first and last sentences of a paragraph.
Test Your Understanding
Try the comprehension quiz
getting bogged down
getting stuck, getting into difficulty
examine and understand
skimming and scanning
reading quickly, reading for the gist - the main idea