25 February 2009
At least 25 people were injured when a Turkish Airlines plane crashed while trying to land at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport.
It's thought 135 passengers were on board.
Click to hear the report
Turkish Airlines flight 1951 left Istanbul this morning but crashed as it came in to land at Schiphol Airport on the outskirts of Amsterdam with 20 injured. Separate reports have claimed fifty passengers escaped injury.
Pictures from the scene show the wreckage of the Boeing 737-800 in three pieces in a field close to one of Schiphol's runways. Dutch television is reporting that rescuers have been hampered in getting to the scene because the field has recently been ploughed.
All flights to and from Schiphol have been suspended.
Ben Shore, BBC News, Brussels
Click to hear the words
- landed suddenly because of an emergency
- came in to land
- landed and came to a stop (of an airplane)
- on the outskirts of
- not far from, in a suburb of
- said without having enough factual evidence
- escaped injury
- were not hurt
- the scene
- where something happens or has happened
- the broken pieces left after something - here, the aircraft - has been extremely badly damaged
- have been hampered in
- have had difficulties
- temporarily cancelled/stopped