Last updated at 12:48 GMT, Thursday, 09 February 2012

Charles Dickens at 200

Introduction:

Charles Dickens, one of the greatest writers in English literature, was born 200 years ago. 'The Teacher' becomes Dickens for a day to take you on a trip through London, the city which featured so heavily in his books. Along the way, he teaches some words and expressions. The video starts with an extract from 'Bleak House', one of Dickens's novels.

The Teacher dressed as Dickens

The Teacher at the Old Curiosity Shop, London

Video

Downloads

Other languages

See this story in different languages

Teacher's Homework

Have you ever come across Dickensian conditions in the modern world? Or have you ever met a scrooge?

This topic has now closed. Thanks for all your homework.

Comments

• 1. At 5:02pm on 07 Feb 2012, Amar wrote:

I have just met a scrooge on the video of Charles Dickens.

• 2. At 5:49pm on 07 Feb 2012, csepelside wrote:

Of course I've come across some Dickensians not only in my country but in others as well. Much, hard work for almost nothing. You have to do overwork but you may not get extra money for it. By the way, it was the famous Russian writer Dostojevsky who also loved Dickens because he too experienced the same life in his country.
    Scrooge -- there are some employers who would like to pay as little money as possible to the employees.

• 3. At 6:11pm on 07 Feb 2012, Gustavo wrote:

Hi The Teacher,

In every single time I watch the video produced by all of you from BBC, I get excited because I think to myself I'm ready to learn more new things today. Thank all of you for this amazing programme and for giving us the opportunity to improve our knowledge.
    In addition to that, I'd like to say that I and some students of mine have got the chance to read Dicken's books every each year. The last time we read it was Oliver Twist. But we have read others during the learning process.
    Finally, I'd like to ask you for more programmes. If possible it could be every week. Why not? Let me know...gboechat1@hotmail.com.

Cheers from Brazil,

Gustavo Boechat

• 4. At 6:18pm on 07 Feb 2012, hazemhassan40162 wrote:

I like this web site ! thanks .

• 5. At 6:57pm on 07 Feb 2012, Din Islam wrote:

I've come across Dickensian conditions several times in my life time. I met some scrooge. I hate those people. I feel sick when I met with them. They are such kind of people when you come across their environment your brain will suffocate. I always prefer to stay away from them. They are so parsimonious that their parsimony would make you stunned. I'm although not a rich but not a miser. I'm frugal instead. Some people have enough money and they can lead a well furnished life but their behaviour in spending money is just....I'm not finding proper words instead of some abuses. They never think that their money will not go with them in the after life. One should be thrifty or economical in their life. We should enjoy our life with what we have. We should not be miser or should not waste our wealth. Instead of wasting one should help the poor. The world will be more beautiful when we all think for each other. Thats the end.

• 6. At 7:35pm on 07 Feb 2012, mariajose wrote:

HAVE YOUR EVER MET A SCROOGE?
    Yes, I have a friend who is the most scrooge persone that you can know.
    Sometimes when we go out at night and we have to play he says "sorry I need to go to the toilet one moment" and when he goes back we have already paid the bill.
    Now in winter he doesn't like spending a lot of money in the heating and he is at home with two or three sweaters because he says it's healthier that the central heating. However, is a good person

• 7. At 9:04pm on 07 Feb 2012, Denise2012 wrote:

I've loved the video. Congratulations!

• 8. At 9:24pm on 07 Feb 2012, Sergio wrote:

Many friends of mine are really scrooges... They're used to use this diabolic strategy: every time you meet them, you can be sure they've forgiven their... wallet! Poor people, they're so sorry...

• 9. At 9:43pm on 07 Feb 2012, FRANZ wrote:

I like The Teacher. He is very funny.

• 10. At 10:41pm on 07 Feb 2012, faten wrote:

A friend of mine had got married to a rich man. When I heard I was so happy for her. At last, she could get rid of her Dickensian life. After a while, I visited her at the new house. when I first saw her, I couldn't prevent my self shouting "what the dickens is this". She was miserable and her house as well. I tried to apologize for my rudeness, but she interrupted me with her sad voice " I'm going to get divorced. He is unbearable, so mean, so scrooge".

1. Home