Last updated at 12:04 BST, Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Transport idioms: Miles

The Teacher

Introduction

In this episode The Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with miles:

1. It sticks out a mile.

2. I'd run a mile.

3. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Video

Teacher's Homework

What would make you run a mile? Or perhaps you could tell me about a time you have stuck out a mile.

This topic has now closed. Thanks for all your homework.

Comments

• 1. At 2:13pm on 19 Jul 2011, kyntire wrote:

When I was a bit younger (just few days ago) I did stick out a mile actually. It was when I had my hair coloured in a very nice electric blue shade! As a matter of fact, being dull or boring in that period of my life would have made me run a mile.
      Maybe I would be exaggerating a bit and I believe this is why my parents used to tell me that they had given me an inch and I took a mile.

• 2. At 2:38pm on 19 Jul 2011, Priscila wrote:

You're wearing strange clothes. It's sticks out a mile.
      My mom wants I clean my bedroom, I'd run a mile.
      My cousin asked me to borrow money ... but I didnt' do. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

• 3. At 2:50pm on 19 Jul 2011, mrboomba90 wrote:

My friend,Tom,is really a special student.He's the tallest student in my school and he got a red hair.He really sticks out a mile.

• 4. At 2:53pm on 19 Jul 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

To babysit naughty kids make me run a mile. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

• 5. At 8:54pm on 19 Jul 2011, Fabio Protta wrote:

If there's somethin' that makes me run a mile is when my parents come home early, and the house are with a lot of people jumping on the sofa, drinking, and the music is really loud..it's made me run a mile last friday...

fabio protta - Brazil - Rio de Janeiro

• 6. At 9:33pm on 19 Jul 2011, Linda Lee wrote:

My boss is too strict to me so that I don't feel comfortable to do everything. Give me an inch and I'll take a mile. I hope he would understand me.

• 7. At 11:43pm on 19 Jul 2011, Azmar wrote:

Hi, this evening dinner time while I were eating a young man with an elder woman interred...he said this evening a friend has urged me to buy that house of my mom next door to you , I say do you have desire to sell yours ,too? I have quite enough money and I stay here another 10 days before I go back to Sweden!
      I'd ran a mile..I realized;it stick out that he is that kind ...if you give him an inch he'll take a mile

• 8. At 04:21am on 20 Jul 2011, Joanne wrote:

Tommy always wears baggy clothes and he sticks out a mile among his classmates. He is also a lazy student and never hands in his homework on time. His teacher now threatens him with a parental consultation if he does not improve his performance. I guess Tommy would probably run a mile when he hears about this. After all, submitting assignment is part of the students’ responsibility. Proper punishment is necessary to uphold the school rule, or give students an inch and they will take a mile.

• 9. At 04:34am on 20 Jul 2011, Tomoakilynk wrote:

My parents chose a boyfriend for me, but i do not like him much, so i ran a mile by making a decision of being single for ever.
      I love to follow the block color trend this year, so yesterday, I wore a mix-matched clothes with 3 colors: green, red, yellow in sequence, and every body look at me as i stuck out a mile with a traffic light appearance

• 10. At 09:27am on 20 Jul 2011, hassan hureshi wrote:

these idioms are very usefull.
      when i and my frinds go to see we sticks out a mile , my mom is really strict you just give her an inch and she will take a mile, i realy dont want to about these controversial topics i would run a mile.

• 11. At 09:29am on 20 Jul 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

My husband likes to watch football and to play video games. But I don't like. If I give him an inch he'll take a mile.

• 12. At 10:38am on 20 Jul 2011, winniczkowa wrote:

Hello Teacher! Hello Miles;) It's great to see You!
      My friend, Gosia, is a very hardworking student and she makes perfekt notes. Ones she let some students copy her notes before a hard exam. Then they gave up making notes on their own and asked Gosia all the time, if they can copy her notes. Finally I said to her: „Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. (In Poland, we have an analogous idiom: „Give them a finger and they'll take a whole arm.”) They abuse your kindness. Can’t you see it? It sticks out a mile.” I’d run a mile, if I had such 'friends'.

• 13. At 11:39am on 20 Jul 2011, consoli wrote:

I was dressed in red. So I stuck out a mile.
      When my boss decided to arrange a journey I'd run a mile.
      Your friend was so rude with me. I offered him a cake and he ate three and asked for more. Give somebody an inch and he'll take a mile.

• 14. At 1:22pm on 20 Jul 2011, Sara wrote:

If a friend asked me some money I'd run a mile

• 15. At 2:12pm on 20 Jul 2011, CuteCactus wrote:

At my secondary school, there are bad students and good students. It sticks out a mile to distinguish them. Bad students swear and drop litters everywhere. good students always go around with a textbook in their hands. The school always want their students to be in comfort when they're at school. But if they loosen the rules, that will mean giving them an inch and they'll take a mile!
      My major subject is English. My biggest worry is to be forced to study science. If mom made me do that, I'd run a mile.

• 16. At 2:50pm on 20 Jul 2011, Mr-Rabbit wrote:

When a mom sit infront of me with a baby in the bus, the baby keeps looking at me; so I show to the small little thing my tongue or I change my whole face in funny or weird way; her mom looks at me; I feel I have stuck a mile.

• 17. At 3:00pm on 20 Jul 2011, mayaly wrote:

Thanks BBC learning English for that lovely program .
      I always hated onions and garlic if some one give to me some of them , I'd run a mile.
      If only my father had given me an inch to go freely by my own and i would be able to do things and i ' ll take a mile .
      I once noticed that my niece was wearing a strange awkward dress and it were sticking out a mile .

• 18. At 3:24pm on 20 Jul 2011, iadana wrote:

Hello Teacher,
      I would run a mile if ever I am asked to participate in a swimming competition.I used to be athletic but I have never been in a swimming pool, yet there were times I stuck out a mile in many collective sports such as basketball, volleyball or even handball.

• 19. At 4:37pm on 20 Jul 2011, Alexisrodriguez wrote:

I have a question

I'd run a mile
      Is I would run a mile or I had run a mile?
      Can I use it in the past perfect?

It sticks out a mile that I am new at this site

thanx you in advanced for you replies

• 20. At 10:29pm on 20 Jul 2011, Akande Waheed wrote:

Children are naturally funny. If you give them an inch, they move a mile . Thus, all eyes must be on them at all times to check their activities.

• 21. At 07:41am on 21 Jul 2011, mabé wrote:

The other day, I went out with my hair in rollers, I had just forgotten about them! I really stuck out a mile! how embarrassing! When I arrived at work, order had been restored: my rollers were in my bag and my hair was beautifully curled. My colleague Janet asked me what my secret was to have such beautiful hair, so I showed her the rollers.
      "Could you lend them to me",she asked.
      "Well, I'm afraid you can only have one.
      - What do you want me to do with only one roller???", she answered.
      Ah! people! they are all the same! give them an inch and they'll take a mile!
      The truth is that I'm really attached to my rollers and if someone tried to take them away from me, I'd run a mile!

• 22. At 09:27am on 23 Jul 2011, arruti the big wrote:

my very best congratulations to the teacher

• 23. At 1:59pm on 25 Jul 2011, RainyJuly wrote:

We have a geography lesson ..I'd run a mile.

• 24. At 4:18pm on 27 Jul 2011, Serhiy Donin wrote:

1) Making essays, diplomas papers and other qualification works to someone for free is incredibly tends to make me run a mile. I'm not so generous to do that difficult work without any reward for my activity.
      2) It was on the 8-th of March 2011. My parents, my two little sisters and Me went into the Greek's Cafe for an evening meal. Although it was a public place I was wearing with stylish modern soft dark blue polyester track suit. I had just forgotten to get change because of the hurrying up. That's why most of the visitors must were thinking of me as if I was stuck out a mile a bit.

• 25. At 9:33pm on 27 Jul 2011, anynhaaa2002 wrote:

Weird clothes stick out a mile.
      A boring conversation I'd me run a mile.

• 26. At 08:01am on 28 Jul 2011, Keciel wrote:

Our boss is always giving them an inch and they will take a mile in the meeting between our client. On top of that, they are always wearing such an ugly uniform... It sticks out a mile, so I'd run a mile!

• 27. At 7:23pm on 29 Jul 2011, Buddhi_Sri Lanka wrote:

It sticks out that my sister is worried by my reaction against her. But if my mother ask me to apologize I'd rather run a mile, because if I give her an inch & she'll take a mile.

1. Home