Last updated at 11:08 BST, Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Transport idioms: Wagon

The Teacher

Introduction

In this video the Teacher introduces you to three idioms connected with wagons:

1. On the wagon

2. Jumping on the bandwagon

3. Fallen off the wagon

Video

Teacher's Homework

Have you ever been on or fallen off the wagon?

This topic has now closed. Thanks for all your homework.

Comments

• 1. At 2:12pm on 30 Aug 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

All the time I am on the wagon. I hope people who are often fallen off the wagon can leave their bad habit and jump on the bandwagon to live a healthy life before late :)

• 2. At 4:21pm on 30 Aug 2011, brisaroch wrote:

• 3. At 5:26pm on 30 Aug 2011, dodal wrote:

• 4. At 8:51pm on 30 Aug 2011, Remi wrote:

This comment has been referred for further consideration. Explain

• 5. At 10:23pm on 30 Aug 2011, Breit wrote:

One day a friend offered me "None juice",he Talked me that it regained the strength and concentration.So, I talked him: Guy,You're jumped the bundwang...Unfortunately, he was very angry with me, he went to pub and fell of the wagon.

• 6. At 02:05am on 31 Aug 2011, Kiki wrote:

I have never been on the wagon. Because I can enjoy moderate drinking and have had no failure over drinks, so I don't feel I have to be on the wagon.
      Although I have never tried onion juice, it would be hard to drink. I had a fun of a jumping on the bandwagon of teacher's staffs.

• 7. At 02:21am on 31 Aug 2011, Marco Genachi wrote:

Hello!!

Fortunately, I have been on the wagon, and I am happy to tell you that 'cause it's a good thing, being on it represents for me a healthier life.
      I'd like to say that I respect the ones who, for some times, fall off the wagon, it happened with me too.

In brief, we can do whatever we want since it's done with precaution and responsibility.

Marco.

• 8. At 02:36am on 31 Aug 2011, 丁丁 wrote:

Peter had drunk a lot of wine when he was 18. Since, he made a girlfriend, he was on the wagon. He said,"Having good health, having good life. In order to be a happiness person with my princess,I am jumping on the bandwagon." For few days, he called me. He said his girlfriend had loved another person. He didn't want live. Therefore,he was fallen off the wagon forever.

• 9. At 07:46am on 31 Aug 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I don't drink alcohol for a long time but sometimes I can fallen off the wagon. It happens very rarely, when we celebrate some very special events like New Yaers'Day, birthday and so on.

• 10. At 11:05am on 31 Aug 2011, mabé wrote:

I met Mr. Cole for the first time at a friends party about two months ago. All evening he was offered drinks but he politely refused. Mrs. Taylor, our hostess, discretely told me he was on the wagon.
      The Taylors had another party last night and Mr. Cole accepted all the drinks he was offered. When I arrived, he had just been sick on Mrs Taylor's poodle and was about to show her (Mrs Taylor, not the poodle) how peacoks attract a mate... What a mess! I think he has fallen off the wagon again!

• 11. At 2:39pm on 31 Aug 2011, Serhiy Donin wrote:

Yo Teacher!

Yeap! I'm on the "no vodka's wagon" since The 22-Nd of March 2008. Never will I forget this fight which was that day after I'd drunk too much vodka. It was a nasty experience. I also decided not to drink beer since that time. Naturally I couldn't take it anymore, so I've fallen from the wagon twice in June 2009 and in June this year. But now I'm on the "no beer" wagon again. I hope I won't be fallen from it again.......Preciously.......

It's my ex friend Eugene, who started watching anime as I'm after I presented him one of the most extraordinary and exciting anime "Neon genesis Evangellion". He was completely astonished of it, so he rapidly jumped on the bandwagon. Moreover he has become an utterly frantic in watching anime. He has watched much more than I have! I'm afraid that I shouldn't take him on the anime wagon.
      Or maybe you can tell me about someone who's jumped on the bandwagon and I'll publish my favorite sentences on this page.

• 12. At 6:47pm on 31 Aug 2011, Pietro Ferrario wrote:

Some years ago my uncle Tonino decided to be on the wagon because he wanted to lose some weight. He bought, however, some delicious, slightly alcoholic cholate to compensate his abstinence from wine and rhum. One day, my little cousin Mariuccio of five years old tucked in the chocolate and after a huge mouthful,..... he fell off the wagon.....

• 13. At 8:06pm on 31 Aug 2011, thyagomend wrote:

Unfortunately I falled off the wagon last week. I stooped to drink on year ago, but in one party I recommence to drink again. I'm aware I'm a addiction.
      In my boyhood , seeing my older brother drink, I jumped on the bandwagon. But I'm confident I'll keep me on the wagon from today on.

• 14. At 8:28pm on 31 Aug 2011, Rajesh wrote:

Hello Mr. Teacher, first thing first: How's your hangover now? I usually fall off the wagon from time to time after practising being on the wagon again and again. It is hard to stick to, normally when it's cold out there...Is there any successful recipe to jumping on the bandwagon in terms of making resolutions once in a year? At dawn after very dusk, there's always a mind-boggling principle. I wonder, how good your principal to you is...;-)>

• 15. At 10:04pm on 31 Aug 2011, csepelside wrote:

I almost never drink alkoholic drinks so I'm on the wagon. But in the past it happened that I drank too much wine or snaps and I fallen off the wagon. Later remembering the occasion when I was drunk I felt sorry for it and thought it wasn't ok. The awfull hangover and other things like that ... oh, no. Rather not drink too much.

• 16. At 10:40am on 01 Sep 2011, mirou18 wrote:

When I was a student, I was always jumping on the bandwagon.Other always started before me.

• 17. At 8:48pm on 01 Sep 2011, 1JuanCarlos186 wrote:

The lesson is very funny, except the orange juice, the others seem little appetizing. If you mix tomato, pepper, cucumber, garlic, oil, salt and vinegar, you´ll have a good "gazpacho" and you´ll be on the bandwagon of healthy people.
      This is a typical dish in southern Spain.

• 18. At 9:49pm on 01 Sep 2011, beatrix wrote:

I decided to be on the wagon some years ago, but last night, during a party, I fell off the wagon. I dranck such many cocktails that she doesn't remember what I did.

• 19. At 5:49pm on 03 Sep 2011, A man from Siberia wrote:

Yes, It's just a matter of time, it happens sometimes to everyone. We are all in the same boat with that problem. But my experience at being a teetoatl allows me to give an advise - striving to be on the wagon for you future, save your time and study English. You could consider that the learning English is just only jumping on the bandwagon but as for me it was a chance to change my lifestyle and put myself together and if you really want to speak fluent English remember - once fallen off the wagon your make a week's step back in your learning instead of going ahead! One day ask yourself what you want - to waste your time then it could be a plain sailing and plenty of hair of the dog and vague thoughts about present day or really want to achieve your goals then it's the long way and sobriety can help you to get the best. Be lucky!

• 20. At 1:51pm on 04 Sep 2011, soulofriver wrote:

My uncle was drinking so much alcohol and he had many healty prob. so he was on the wagon.But he met old friends,who would be fallen off the wagon:))

• 21. At 1:08pm on 06 Sep 2011, Lincoln Josh wrote:

I don't drink.

• 22. At 09:11am on 07 Sep 2011, Remi wrote:

• 23. At 1:23pm on 07 Sep 2011, djodjo wrote:

• 24. At 09:03am on 09 Sep 2011, winniczkowa wrote:

Hello Teacher!
      It's nice to be unique and independent, but sometimes jumping on the bandwagon is the best thing you can do. Especially when it comes to your health. I am not on the wagon, but I drink alcohol only occasionally and in very small amounts. People who have problems with stopping yourself from drinking alcohol, shouldn't drink it at all and be on the wagon.

• 25. At 07:25am on 13 Sep 2011, Tereza wrote:

I have never fallen off the wagon but sometimes I was very near to it. But fortunately, I could stop drinking in time.

1. Home