do an exam. But there are no easy rules to follow. We always
use do to describe indefinite activities, often with what,
thing, anything, nothing, etc and generally
speaking we also use do to talk about duties, jobs or (leisure)
activities. Look at the following examples:
- 'What shall we do now?' 'You can do what you
like. I'm going home!'
- 'He didn't do anything. He just sat there.'
- 'You expect me to do everything around the house. Well,
I'm fed up!'
- 'I did all my homework last night so tonight I'm going
to do the housework.'
- 'I did a lot of research and I think I did a good job
on that essay. I did my best anyway.'
- 'I intend to do lots of walking on holiday this year,
and perhaps some bird-watching too.