Last updated at 11:32 GMT, Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Express English: Wedding vows

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What would you promise in your wedding vows?

Join the conversation. What would you promise in your wedding vows? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us:

A woman said that understanding, freedom and respect are all very important to her.

It seems that one woman doesn't particularly like the word 'obey', she wouldn't like to have it in her wedding vows.

For one man, marriage is about the long term future and that's what he would like to mention in his wedding vows.

Did you know?

Fact

When Prince William married Kate Middleton on 29 April 2011, their wedding vows didn't include the word 'to obey'.

From William:

I, William Arthur Philip Louis, take thee, Catherine Elizabeth, to my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse: for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I give thee my troth.

From Kate:

I, Catherine Elizabeth, take thee, William Arthur Philip Louis, to my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse: for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I give thee my troth.

Language tip

Often we use the word 'promise' as well as 'vow'. Both have the similar meanings. If you make a promise, then generally you are expected to keep it.

Cultural tip

Las Vegas is considered by many as a place to get hitched quickly and hassle-free. There are over 300 weddings taking place in town every day and the wedding chapels open almost 24/7.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What would you promise in your wedding vows?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 1:00pm on 13 Mar 2012, faraz wrote:

• 2. At 1:02pm on 13 Mar 2012, Elkagirl wrote:

I will take care you as I take care myself :)

• 3. At 2:14pm on 13 Mar 2012, Anutik wrote:

I'd promise in wedding vow understanding, troth, love, trust and support in any situations, which we'll have in our life.

• 4. At 4:19pm on 13 Mar 2012, ulusal68 wrote:

I particularly would like to have the word " to trust" in my wedding vows because ıf there is no trust in a relationship or marriage,it is more likely to perish.

• 5. At 5:50pm on 13 Mar 2012, Kandan wrote:

I'd promise to my wife that I will be trustful,loveable,truthful person,no more cheating,be a father/mother to wife,no more bad habits..If I follow this after marriage then my life will be beautiful and peaceful life :)

• 6. At 7:30pm on 13 Mar 2012, Hi5 wrote:

I would vow honesty, respect, understanding, be together through bad moments love forever and SMILE.
      EAC-VLC

• 7. At 9:23pm on 13 Mar 2012, can wrote:

l would promise in weddıng love respect not say any lıe.......

• 8. At 07:16am on 14 Mar 2012, DY Kim wrote:

I promised respect and trust in wedding vows. I think respect and trust is most important thing.

• 9. At 07:31am on 14 Mar 2012, moises wrote:

I would promise trust and respect and support always!! Grettings from Mexico city!!

• 10. At 08:41am on 14 Mar 2012, gem wrote:

Personally i didn't make any vows during my wedding . Though it is life long commitment as we all know, when crisis comes many couples forget about their vows and their marriage life ends in disaster.

• 11. At 11:17am on 14 Mar 2012, svetlana wrote:

I don`t know. I`m not merried. I dislike promises, because people promise something, however, they don`t keep the promise.
      Today there are too many divorces. Nowadays, people violate a promise easily. Do not promise, but do.

• 12. At 7:30pm on 14 Mar 2012, Tereza wrote:

Nice theme! I would promise to take care of husband in case of illness and to stay by him in bad days.

• 13. At 9:52pm on 14 Mar 2012, FRANZ wrote:

Be exactly as she knew me.

• 14. At 07:44am on 15 Mar 2012, sabo wrote:

I got married just one year ago, but I don't remember what I promised to my husband...
      However, I have learned a important lesson through the marriage.
      It is that tolerance and forgiveness are very important to live with a partner happily.
      I'm always trying to listen to my husband's opinions and understand them. This is difficult, especially when I'm angry with him. I have to calm down and forgive him before I understand him. This is often challenging, but at the same time, is very significant.

• 15. At 12:44pm on 15 Mar 2012, salih wrote:

In my life, my first and most important priorities will be always you. I promise that I'll always care you like a vulnerable baby and in my life there will no any power beyond my love towards you.

• 16. At 1:26pm on 15 Mar 2012, pham quang hai wrote:

i wouldn't promise anything. coz nothing lasts for good.

• 17. At 8:20pm on 15 Mar 2012, fpelaezt wrote:

It is funny but i dont remember my vows, i've just repeated what the notary told.

• 18. At 7:59pm on 16 Mar 2012, kinda5 wrote:

I will take care of you and I will preserve your name

• 19. At 06:09am on 17 Mar 2012, tenocht wrote:

What would I promise in my wedding vows?
      I´ll do the washing, I´ll iron your clothes, I´ll cook for you,
      I´ll be faithful and I´ll love you for ever and ever until something better comes along or I get bored. ha ha.

I´d promise; Understanding, Love, trust, support,
      all kind of things in order to keep her in love with me.

• 20. At 06:16am on 17 Mar 2012, castleontheriver wrote:

I share much of what was said in the principie of this forum, must exist as a wedding vows, respect, understanding, freedom, commitment for a long time, but also I create in the faithfulness and presence of God. I agree that it should not be to mention the word obedience, because man and woman are equal before God.

• 21. At 08:27am on 17 Mar 2012, alex wrote:

In my wedding day I'd promise to be honest with my wife, to have the biggest love, ever exist in the world, to take care my family, to be a good father for our children.
      I think wedding vows make people be more responsible for their actions, if, of course, words are very important for them.
      As for me, I try to follow my word every time, so If I say something, I do it

• 22. At 7:12pm on 17 Mar 2012, narrosgirl wrote:

My husband is my realest company. I'd promise that.
      It's the most important.

• 23. At 04:12am on 18 Mar 2012, hongdt1 wrote:

in our culture we don't promise any thing in a marriage. The marriage is likely a party in a restaurant to every one: near relations, friends, collegues, neighbors...we don't have a private espace as in a church. So i think in my marriage, i will vow in my head to trust, respect, take care and love him to the endess ^^Have a nice day and enjoy your life & your love, every one!!!

• 24. At 10:58am on 18 Mar 2012, Marc wrote:

I am not married but in the case of marriage i would vow trust, respect, troth, honest and understanding. Its more important to remind the vow and to live this way, to expect a return from your partner. Only promissing something without any ambitions to achieve the vows is not the right way. I think that everybody have to work hard on keeping your promisses and beyond.

• 25. At 12:49pm on 18 Mar 2012, Angela wrote:

He has not proposed me yet. I’m sure he will propose me soon. We know each other very well. He is very kind and good hearted person. He is honest and simple. He can change my life to be good. I can say he is my life.
      However we have different religion. I can give all my time to be his wife and good mother for children. But my religion is my life as well. I won’t follow his religion. I will request one thing that is I want all my children to be my religion.
      I would promise that I would be faithful for you. I would understand and respect you as my husband. No matter how I would stand beside you to face and share everything together. Sometimes words are not very important. The reality is very important. He loves reality. He seldom says he loves me but he loves me more than that. I have the same feeling with him.

• 26. At 5:43pm on 18 Mar 2012, tanya259 wrote:

for better for worse I will love you

• 27. At 06:06am on 19 Mar 2012, lucy wrote:

I will cherish you as I cherish my eyes!

• 28. At 08:04am on 19 Mar 2012, Saprina wrote:

I will promise in wedding vows I love you forever.

• 29. At 08:26am on 19 Mar 2012, LaurentMartial wrote:

In my wedding vows, j will promised faithful end love.

• 30. At 08:48am on 19 Mar 2012, lullaby090 wrote:

In my motherland, Vietnam, if you are not a Christian you do not make marrige vows.There is a ritual when the wedded husband takes the wedded wife to his house. Firstly, they bow to their ancestor, then to their parents and to each other. Finally, they exchange rings and the bridegroom kisses the bride.

[Personal details removed by Moderator]

• 31. At 1:22pm on 19 Mar 2012, lifesong wrote:

Understanding,Love,Care & Respect will be my vows in future

• 32. At 2:00pm on 20 Mar 2012, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

Hello

When I will get married my vows are honesty all the time, sinceratly, comunications ans loved loved and many love. Other vows will be respetc. All previously thing in the name of Jesus Christ

bye

• 33. At 2:14pm on 22 Mar 2012, Ivytam wrote:

WELL, I Dont know! This is because i'm not married. If i will marry, i will promise that i will always love you and god with you including in my wedding!

• 34. At 10:51am on 23 Mar 2012, melodysj wrote:

promise, what ever what you have said, is very important for couple. in my opinion it is more significant to keeping your words during your life. it is easy to keep the words for a period of time, but in your whole life you to hold your word, you must do your best.
      trust and tolerence are essential for marriage.

• 35. At 1:20pm on 23 Mar 2012, Catia64 wrote:

Hi, I'm not married, but I've lived with a man from twenty years.I feel him like an husband, we believe each other. I think when we'll be holder we get married, to crowned whit success our life togheter!! Because I think, the life always have to be romantic!!! Catia

• 36. At 1:25pm on 23 Mar 2012, Catia64 wrote:

• 37. At 7:24pm on 24 Mar 2012, simon mao wrote:

In fact, I got married almost two years ago. And i can still remember the vowing i said to my sweet honey. It was about obedience, trust and responsibility. and most of all, we believe the marriage will be protected if we keep ourselves in the promise of Saviour Lord. only the death could separate us.Although I married in such a young age, the family life really teaches me a good lesson almost every day. With faith and hope, we will carry on our life and try to make it better.

• 38. At 06:16am on 25 Mar 2012, keti wrote:

Thousand of weddings are held in the world every day. There can be no weddings, whether religious or civil, without wedding vows. Thousands of people promise in various languages to love, cherish, respect and take care of each other in joy and hardship. I am certain that most of couples make these pledges sincerely. The wedding vow of Kate Middleton has caused controversies. The word "obey" was eliminated from it. It's seems that the reason which forced the notoriously conservative royal family to change her vow was pretty substantial. In my opinion, it revealed that contemporary women are equal to men; however, wedding vows are a mere formality because there are no words which can prevent a couple from divorcing.

• 39. At 10:14am on 25 Mar 2012, Din Islam wrote:

I'm a man of old fashioned mentality. I want to marry an woman who of course would to be virgin. Since I'm a virgin one I expect my bride would also be virgin. However, if not I would nothing but just will blame to my luck. My wedding vows would be like the followings:
      1. I would be truthful only to my wife
      2. My wife would be the whole world to me
      3. She would be the centre of a circle and I'm the circumference
      4. She also would have to be truthful to me
      5. She also would have to be acted as I act with her
      If it would prove that my wife had sex before with others before marriage then she would not get enough love from me. And if it would be proved that she is involved in sex with others after marriage then our marriage would be dismissed.

• 40. At 5:14pm on 28 Mar 2012, thuy huynh wrote:

I will do love my lover as he does and take good care of him because he's special to all my life.

• 41. At 00:00am on 02 Apr 2012, Cláudio Apolonio wrote:

I think i will recite a famous brazillian poet Vinícius de Moraes, on 'Soneto da Fidelidade' (Sonnet of fidelity).

• 42. At 4:07pm on 04 Apr 2012, lavender1014 wrote:

i not yet marry , but if i marry , i will promise faithful , and love my lover during my life

• 43. At 06:55am on 06 Apr 2012, minyoung wrote:

I promised I will wash all dish and cook every breakfast.
      i am male. lol
      but, i didn't keep my promise. just cooked and washed three morning. from now I'll keep my vows.

• 44. At 06:50am on 08 Apr 2012, Kim Mi Kyoung wrote:

in my wedding day, I will promise love, troth, respect.
      wow. it's very impressed.
      Always be happy..

• 45. At 10:13pm on 11 Apr 2012, fuzzylogic wrote:

i'm not married,yet:), but I've lived with a man from four years i will promise that i will always love you...

• 46. At 11:58am on 12 Apr 2012, Chipsouu wrote:

Personnally,

I'm not for the wedding, I think it's not really necessary to prove that you love someone. The only difference it's on the name.
      With my boyfriend, we were in London during the Royal Wedding...for sure it was great, and so splendid !
      But, I don't think it's obligatory and better for a couple.
      I love my boyfriend since 6 years, and I'll always love him even if we aren't married.
      We promised respect, faithfully and happiness, without the wedding =)

• 47. At 9:15pm on 12 Apr 2012, mosaad91083 wrote:

I VOW ,
      I WILL LOVE YOU TRUELY AND I BELIVE YOU WILL DO THE SAME .I WILL STAY LOVING YOU FOR EVER

Hana, you made me whole

• 48. At 2:56pm on 14 Apr 2012, sarro wrote:

if I will wedding or marred I promise ,honest, respect, truth , and love ,responsibility
      even we live nice and beautiful life and also learn my children on the respect life
      the weeding the gold nest made by pair

• 49. At 12:22pm on 25 May 2012, laura wrote:

to be patient, and understanding, and never boring!!but i would expect the same!!

Latest programmes