Last updated at 11:18 GMT, Thursday, 09 February 2012

Express English: Romance

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

Are you romantic?

Join the conversation. Are you romantic? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us:

Most people said they weren't romantic. But perhaps they were being modest.

Surprise gifts, candlelit dinners, love letters and a rickshaw ride through London at night - these are some of the romantic gestures which our Londoners had made.

Did you know?

Fact

The red rose is the flower that most symbolises romance.

Language tip

A romantic person is someone who displays or expresses love and affection.

Cultural tip

French kissing openly in India can land you in jail.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

Are you romantic?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 3:17pm on 13 Feb 2012, Elkagirl wrote:

I'm not really a romantic person. Anyway, I get allergic to so romantic men. It's just too good to be true like in movies. I only need someone who loves me little loves me long.

• 2. At 5:27pm on 13 Feb 2012, moutaz wrote:

hi ,

i believe i am romantic person, but i need some time with person to know her good. after that i can talk to her with romantic talking with dinner or to between trees, beside river, watching movie after that i can life with her to rest my life, finally red rose is the best

nice story and best regard ,

• 3. At 6:28pm on 13 Feb 2012, soumia wrote:

• 4. At 6:49pm on 13 Feb 2012, pepper wrote:

i an not so romantic.i think it is not a good think but i prefer.i hate this lovely way that sometimes are so patetic and not really rappresenting the love for a person.you can say that i am not sensitive and i think that i don't have a girlfriend for my gelid character.i am made in this way and unfortunately i can not change.

• 5. At 7:04pm on 13 Feb 2012, Ross wrote:

I think everyboby has an unique way to be romantic, in fact the most beatiful romantic expression for me is unexpected hug without special reason and to say simply 'you are very important in my world and so I love you'.
      Expression of feeling in anywhere or anytime is the most romantic that someone could give

• 6. At 8:02pm on 13 Feb 2012, Kazimir wrote:

Yes, I'm a romantic man and I know what does it mean to love a girl but nevertheless every time I fall in love with a girl she goes abroad or something else therefore I'm romantic but a loser. So it's gonna be another lonely February the 14th ;-)
      But someday I'll be not alone

• 7. At 8:03pm on 13 Feb 2012, Emilia wrote:

Actually I think I'm not romantic, I hate writing letters full of stupid words like I love you on st Valentine's day. I like receiving flowers, presents or cards for my birthday because I consider it my most special day of the year. Oh, I like receiving jewels too indeed
      Emilia

• 8. At 8:05pm on 13 Feb 2012, Tereza wrote:

Yes, I am very romantic person, but more in my thoughts, not too much in acting. I mean, my dreams are very romantic but I can't express everything what I feel.

• 9. At 8:52pm on 13 Feb 2012, Maryna wrote:

Yes, I am. I am very romantic person. I like flowers, dinners with candles, moon-walkings. I like to reed books like Romeo and Juliet, Twilight, watch romantic comedies. I celebrate St. Valentine's day)

• 10. At 9:32pm on 13 Feb 2012, Vinikovic wrote:

In General, women are more romantic than men. Men don't like to show their feelings.

• 11. At 11:37pm on 13 Feb 2012, Kandan wrote:

I guess the romantic thing i did it like, I loved a gal who was working with me in the same company, but she didn't love me :) I went with her when going to home by bus ,Later I identified that my place to get down crossed already,She asked me why are you following me always?? Those days i could remember whenever Valentine days comes. End of the story is my love has not succeed.Past is pass. Life is going on next phase :)

• 12. At 00:09am on 14 Feb 2012, DY Kim wrote:

Honestly, I am not a romantic guy. But i have been trying to be romantic to my wife and my daughter. The most romantic thing i have been done is proposal of marriage with my girl friend. I made video clip which contained our happy memory and my song for her. And then at the beautiful restaurant, i showed her that video clip and said " Please marry with me " That was the most romantic moment of my life.

• 13. At 02:22am on 14 Feb 2012, tenocht wrote:

Yes I´m romantic, I love singing a song to my girlfriend no matter how awful I sing (she has to put up with it) I love giving red roses to her,kissing her hands, and telling her how much I love her.
      Her name is Lupita and I am deeply in love with her.

• 14. At 04:59am on 14 Feb 2012, Abdullah Al-Rashid wrote:

Yes I'm ...
      I remember some thing romantic I did in my last birthday ..

Do you know what I did ?

in my birthday i buy a gift for my baby , and you want to know why i did that ?!

sure , cuz me & my baby ,agreed that we are " One " , which mean that my birthday is also her birthday : )

So , she gave me her gift , and i gave her too .

we were so happy , and we take a lunch together .

really , it's a most romantic moments of my life ,,!

• 15. At 05:35am on 14 Feb 2012, kimwoobill wrote:

Yep, I am a bit romantic person. But my study take so much time so I seem have no time for loving.

• 16. At 08:23am on 14 Feb 2012, Alba Navarro wrote:

I like to think so I'm romantic. I like to have details with my boyfriend

• 17. At 10:44am on 14 Feb 2012, panfila wrote:

I´m a romantic girl. I like listen romantic music as balad´s singer. I dream with I know a blue prince.

• 18. At 12:07pm on 14 Feb 2012, rasel wrote:

Obviously I am romantic. Today is Valentiens Day. I wanna to enjoy candlelit with my girl friend with red rose. Throughout the day I wanna to drive with her with some dropping in park, museum, sea beach enjoying bathing and jumping as well as watching film in Cinema Hall. In the name of valentiens day some scene creates happened that is very unfortunate and so naked and harmful for teenagers. But I think celebrating this day with teen young should be made under control of administration in night. Otherwise any wrong doings would be happened to society with disorder and unexpected. So let's enjoy everybody romantic day with your nearest one with caution. Happy Valentiens day. Best Luck.

• 19. At 2:02pm on 14 Feb 2012, Haytham wrote:

I'm totally romantic, But I can't express my romanticism. In other words, I didn't find the person to whom I can express my feelings without feeling shy.

• 20. At 4:28pm on 14 Feb 2012, luisabagagiolo wrote:

Sure! I'm a very romantic woman and also my husbund for fortune!
      Every day I express my love with words, deeds, thoughts ...
      And that is reflected on my style of life: with my friends too, about my hobbies etc.
      luisa

• 21. At 5:11pm on 14 Feb 2012, Samuel da Paz Rodrigues wrote:

My name is Samuel, I'm Brazilian and I'm very romantic!!!
      But I haven't nobody to love or be romantic (poor me)
      kkkkkkkkkkk

• 22. At 5:33pm on 14 Feb 2012, Thanna wrote:

• 23. At 5:40pm on 14 Feb 2012, Thanna wrote:

• 24. At 6:10pm on 14 Feb 2012, tanya259 wrote:

Yes I`m a romantic person,I think it`s a good feeling to be in love or to start falling in love with someone and all stuff related to that(sweet words,romantic love songs,...)and before getting married, in valentine`s day I liked receive red rose than other gift because it`s more romantic for me.

• 25. At 7:06pm on 14 Feb 2012, doguada wrote:

• 26. At 7:19pm on 14 Feb 2012, Juan wrote:

I´m not romantic, but I consider that I´m not rude or so serius. I have nice details with my girlfriend. I invite her to lunch or a romantic dinner every month. I don`t like to write poems or things like that.

• 27. At 7:50pm on 14 Feb 2012, Lorenzo wrote:

Yesterday (one day before the date!) I gave my girlfriend some beautiful red roses: actually, a plant of roses... that's to say endless roses over time!

She tells me I'm romantic and to be honest I'm very happy and very proud with this, because I try to be romantic every day... I think she deserves such behaviour and make no effort!

• 28. At 11:19pm on 14 Feb 2012, Denise wrote:

I think I´m just a little bit romantic.

• 29. At 11:54pm on 14 Feb 2012, j_marco wrote:

Yes I'm a romantic guy, I hope to express all of this romantic felling to a special girl

• 30. At 00:34am on 15 Feb 2012, Neuza Navarro wrote:

I am a romantic person, but, not a kind of person that need a special occasion to show it. It's great when we can do big things to our soul mate, however, small attitudes can make your love happier.

I use to put small notes in my husband's hanger shirts or even on the breakfast table. It's a soft way to tell him how our wedding has been enjoyable since 1993.

• 31. At 02:03am on 15 Feb 2012, oliver wrote:

I'm not sure if I am romantic women. I ususally feel uncomfortable when saying about myself. I would prefer to listening from my partner's opinions. But I'm sure that I need romance. My simple thought is that romance is the time two lovers are being together, and caring each other.

• 32. At 03:16am on 15 Feb 2012, Trung88vn wrote:

I were a very romantic man in the teenages.But not now. I just had one red rose and dinner with my darling. That is not enought for valentine day!

• 33. At 08:05am on 15 Feb 2012, eman wrote:

I think I'm a romantic person but not by giving and taking gifts in specific occasions I'm very affectionate person to my family and friends every day in my life.

• 34. At 08:46am on 15 Feb 2012, ScitecDani wrote:

I'm not a romantic person but I make everything for my girlfriend at special dates for example Valentin. I organise lovely and especial programmes.
      Last year we travelled to France. We stayed in a little village near to Paris.
      In this year we are going to go Venice for a romantic holiday.

• 35. At 09:42am on 15 Feb 2012, Irina wrote:

I think i'm not romantic at all. Love letters, weepers, and all these "honey bunny" cute nicknames really make me sick. My friend keeps on saying that i just pretend to be a not romantic person. And I really wanna believe that i'm not so heartless,so to speak))).Well probably I just havn't found that guy who i enjoy walking under the moonlight with.

• 36. At 10:25am on 15 Feb 2012, Paulo Fernando wrote:

I´m really a romantic person because sending flowers, candle light dinner and on weekends in a cottage with fireplace and a good wine to warm the soul.

• 37. At 4:33pm on 15 Feb 2012, Kazu123 wrote:

Romantic is really good, some girls told me that, and they also said that i'm a romantic man normal level.

• 38. At 9:03pm on 15 Feb 2012, Darek wrote:

Yes, i'm romantic. I like eting dinner with candle.

• 39. At 12:44pm on 16 Feb 2012, Juan J wrote:

I think I'm a little romantic, but I usually don't do romantic things becouse I'm afraid they can laugh at me. It wasn't the first time I try somenthing romantic and the other person laugh with the situation. For example, once I wanted to give her a bouquet of roses and what she did was said to me this kind of presents didn't like her and I could spend the money in other thing more practice, then she threw away the bouquet. So I'd like can be more romantic, but my experiences were a little disastrous.

• 40. At 2:15pm on 16 Feb 2012, alex wrote:

I'd like to think that I'm romantic person. I love gifting flowers especially red roses, talk with my girlfriend about something romantic. Every time when I gift her a present,for example recently on St Valentine's Day, I try to create a romantic story associated with her,me and a present.

• 41. At 4:12pm on 16 Feb 2012, Marc wrote:

Romantic is a important part of the relationship between me and my girlfriend. Therefore we are forcing usually activities that inspires our love like amazing candlelite dinners in the evening or romantic picknicks in summers. Moreover the right mood is necessery on both sides to enjoy a moment of romantic. I think that sometimes Iam and sometimes Iam not a romantic person though i often try to be it. Hence it depends on different factors.

• 42. At 4:33pm on 16 Feb 2012, Din Islam wrote:

I'm obfuscated about my mental situation whether I'm romantic or not. Sometimes I feel romance and ride on the pick of the mountain of romance but sometimes it looks like I'm devoid of that. I think romance is very much close to love and both has a inherent relation. But it always comes to my mind that I'm born not make love with anyone. 25 years have passed but its not a surprise to me that I'm still not in love with anyone. I feel easy without love. So, romance must not be present in such kind of a person like me. But I like the story of romance. When I read such story in newspaper of magazine I feel a little bit romance and wish I had such romance in my life too. However, I'm strict about it and wanna stay free cause love, you know is a bond which would not allow you to be free or won't let you to fly here and there. But it is needed although. I suspect I'm not in the perfect time to fall in love or feel romance continuously. I don't know when the time would come in my life.

• 43. At 7:43pm on 16 Feb 2012, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

Hello
      I´m considered a romantic person because I like to gife red roses in specially dates. I like to take the hands of my loved in site my hands while I said softly in the earing I loved you. I like to have dinner on light candles. I like to drink red wine in a dark hall and to talk about romantics things that my loved to enjoy. We go to the cinema and watch the romantic movie and to stay near one of other and kisses warmly or we can comteplate to hug the day dawned in the beach

• 44. At 04:05am on 17 Feb 2012, Saprina wrote:

I am not a romantic person , but I like to read romantic novels which are very popular in my country. When I were in senior high school, I ever wrote some romantic poets to a girl in another class.

• 45. At 04:07am on 17 Feb 2012, cut latifah wrote:

im not romantic woman...but romantic is really good

• 46. At 11:37am on 17 Feb 2012, aidas70 wrote:

Am I romantic?In some way I'd say yes because I've done plenty romantic things in my life, even proposed to a woman I loved and she did love me , but unfortunately we were not able to be together as she sad: 'the life is very interesting thing sometimes you cannot be with somebody you love'.As the life is going on I am getting less and less romantic, but I think if I met a woman of my dreams I it would bring back my romantic feelings to me.What a wonderful life it would be!Thank you.

• 47. At 10:58pm on 17 Feb 2012, 7amada wrote:

the romance i bleive in when it means giving without return , i think this is the broad meaning of romance .

• 48. At 08:54am on 18 Feb 2012, salih wrote:

It depends on your lover, I think. Some acts whether it's romantic or not changes person to person. In general, I feel that I'm romantic and emotional person when it comes to relationship. I don't have girlfriend yet, therefore I cannot give any feedback from opposite sex. But sometimes, I dream if I have a girl friend, I wanna be romantic towards her. But I believe that romanticism is important factor for health of any relationship. Especially after the marriage, couples need to provide same excitement before the marriage and romanticism is the best way to maintain passionate relationship. For people who married, their's each day should be passed as they still trying to gain their's partner as a wife. If they can able to provide this, romanticism comes unintentionally. If we put it in a nutshell, marriage should be seen two main struggle and ambition. One part is before the marriage which requires 50 percent struggle, other part is after the marriage which requires 50 percent struggle as well.

• 49. At 09:46am on 18 Feb 2012, Luwia wrote:

As for me i belong to that group of romantic personalities. Even if i would like to be less romantic. I write poems, make surprises, prepare stories, watch sunset, roam about the empty streets, watch snow dancing in the air, dance lyrical dances...think, dream...But can't say the romantic feeling are munual...

• 50. At 1:17pm on 18 Feb 2012, Kenny602 wrote:

I think i was a romantic guy before i broke up with my x-girlfriend. After that, i can not feel romance anymore with oter people. I'm steel waiting and finding someone who can make me romantic guy again. ...Where is the love...?? :(

• 51. At 1:35pm on 18 Feb 2012, Minh Son wrote:

I think i`m romantic person:), If a have a chance to go with a girl. i`ll take her to an imposing place such as beach or a high mountain, we`ll stand together and see everything around, when she fell tired I`ll take off my shirt and lay it out so that she can sit down and continue to enjoy nice scene with me:D.

• 52. At 6:29pm on 18 Feb 2012, castleontheriver wrote:

Romantic person?, This relates to the meaning that we give to the term "romantic." If this means sincerity and depth of communication between people then yes, I am a romantic person. But, if romance is equivalent to passing or superficial communication, what we would call "frivolous", then I do not consider myself a romantic person.

• 53. At 01:32am on 19 Feb 2012, kezia82 wrote:

I'm not a romantic person at all and my boyfriend often complains about that.

• 54. At 11:05am on 19 Feb 2012, be_hard wrote:

may be i m romantic person i don't know but i see myself that i can express of what in my heart to my lovely and what i feeling and what she is for me and what i feeling in any time that's by saying or talking but through another way i can buy gift or flower or writ love massage or going a promenade at natural region contain trees flowers birds and grass or i can set or walk at sea or river beach ,,, flowers meaning a lot

• 55. At 3:45pm on 19 Feb 2012, Liza_Mango wrote:

I am romantic! I like to do a lot of memorable things! Unfortunately, sometimes I need extra money for doing big romantic surprise

• 56. At 6:46pm on 19 Feb 2012, Angelica_L wrote:

I am a very romantic person. I want my boyfriend to give me flowers, surprise gifts, to say that he loves me every day. I think that almost every girl likes such things.
      Dear boys! Be more attentive with your girlfriends!

• 57. At 08:11am on 20 Feb 2012, Sasha wrote:

I am a romantic person, it's make my life colorful and cheerful.

• 58. At 09:31am on 20 Feb 2012, Mona wrote:

I'm very romantic!!!
      But I haven't nobody to love or be romantic ...

• 59. At 12:21pm on 20 Feb 2012, Zainab wrote:

I used to be romantic but Shakespear made me hate being romantic because of all the Shakespear GCSE studies that I've done.I think being romantic is sweet & it's nice being romantic to your loved ones.I would like my husband to be romantic and nice at the same time!

• 60. At 6:53pm on 21 Feb 2012, Sofia wrote:

I suppose, the older you get the less romantic you become. When I was a teenager, I really liked talking about feelings, expressing my emotions, and all the "sweet things" - candles, toys, flowers, poems and love songs. But know I really think that some words mustn't be said and true feelings don't need any proof. And I get annoyed when I see couples kissing in public or hugging. But maybe I'm a bore)))

• 61. At 11:14pm on 21 Feb 2012, Onejay Choi wrote:

If I say I'm a romantic person, I wonder what my wife will say about my insistence. I think she will agree with me! HaHa...

• 62. At 04:26am on 22 Feb 2012, mulyaraha wrote:

Actually I'm a romantic person esspecially when I was in knowing stage with my girl friend who is my wife now. I was bring to her the blue flowers because her favorite colour is blue, it's really difficult to find flower with blue colour, so I give her the blue flowers at the time althought I had to looked arround of cairo city. and now my prespective that romantic men is who can handle all of business and protect his familly with full of responsibility.

• 63. At 12:25pm on 23 Feb 2012, nosonoso wrote:

To be honest, I am not a romantic person at all ! However, my girl friend is such a romantic person that I sometimes have to be such a person. While I pretend to be so, I am so tired, but at the same time, I am happy to see her face with delight.
      Now I am feeling odd, because the sentences I wrote may be a little bit romantic. Am I a romantic person?

• 64. At 12:54pm on 23 Feb 2012, shirley wrote:

My boyfriend who is now my husband never brings rose for me even on the anniversary. Both of us traveled a lot separately, but never went to any romantic places together for honeymoon. Most of my friends think we are "cool". But I feel sweet when doing sports and sweating together. I feel secured even though my company is under redundancy. My confidence is reinvigorated through repeated failures when taking suggestions from him. Everyone has our own expressions about romantic. No matter what you have done, it is so called romantic once our lovers can feel warm and sweet.

• 65. At 10:24am on 25 Feb 2012, ulusal68 wrote:

I believe ı'm a romantic person.I wrote poems for my girlfriend once.Also I organised a romantic birthday party for her.There were candles everywhere at home and we drank wine together.

• 66. At 11:21pm on 25 Feb 2012, paolobobos wrote:

I am a romantic boy, but my girlfriend doesn't agree with me :). The most romantic thing that I ever had is organize a treasure hunt for a girl for her 18 birthday.

• 67. At 1:16pm on 26 Feb 2012, ahmet wrote:

I'm not very romantic. But sometimes I do small surprises. A holiday abroad together can be romantic. I prefer places that nobody else knows, and unpopular.

• 68. At 4:07pm on 26 Feb 2012, Adilson Ricardo wrote:

I'm not romantic at all. In some situattions I was romantic, for exemplo: If I'm in a beautiful square with my husbund, so I decide to say something that is considered romantic.

This is the way that I found to express my feelings.

• 69. At 8:27pm on 27 Feb 2012, caduet wrote:

Well,I'm not romatic person. I will make romantic things but difficult for me sometimes. I will try for my girl friend I want to see happy her every time.Obviously I dont know how to be a romantic according to me depend your imagination.If you love somebody try to be a romantic maybe you will be.

• 70. At 02:57am on 28 Feb 2012, Channing wrote:

Whether a person is romantic or not depends on people's different judgement and views. A nerdy guy, may show no romance for most people, but for some girls, an internet proposal is quite romantic.

• 71. At 1:56pm on 28 Feb 2012, Abdul Hanan wrote:

i thnk am the most romantic and adorable person on earth! i love people and love the way people love me! i used to listen romantic songs ....... in my leisure time :)

Downloads