Last updated at 12:57 GMT, Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Express English: Phobias

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

Do you have any phobias?

Join the conversation. Do you have any phobias? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us.

Many people have phobias linked to animals. One woman does not feel comfortable thinking about snakes and one man has problems with spiders.

Another man is scared of heights but keeps it as a secret.

Did you know?

Fact

Phobias are the most common type of anxiety disorder. In the UK, an estimated 10 million people have phobias. Phobias can affect anyone, regardless of age, sex and social background.

Language tip

'Claustrophobia' is the name given to people who feel anxious when trapped in a enclosed space.

Cultural tip

A 2003 study by a Cambridge University academic and finance group Egg found that one in five Britons suffers from financialphobia, a condition rendering them unable to handle their personal finances.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

Do you have any phobias?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 1:32pm on 09 Jan 2012, Elkagirl wrote:

I'm really afraid of dog and height. It makes me often dream about falling down from a high place such a tall building or bridge etc. I always avoid getting any close to any dogs moreover if they start barking.

• 2. At 3:33pm on 09 Jan 2012, Discip wrote:

I have a fear of dogs and heights and both phobias have appeared when I became older. When I was a child I didn't any of them but when I was a teenager I had a fear of dogs and I had fear of heights later just after university, just when I started working

• 3. At 4:12pm on 09 Jan 2012, Anna521 wrote:

I have a fear of down. I always worry about the groud would come down when I am underground. It's really scary to be buried under the earth with complete darkness.

• 4. At 6:09pm on 09 Jan 2012, Kazimir wrote:

I have two main phobias the first one is I’m afraid of fights in the subway (when a group of yobs start to fight) and the second is I’m afraid to leave alone when I’m old man. But I have creepy feelings from snakes and aggressive dogs too.
      And to make my list complete I’m going to add another one phobia – I have cold feet when I look down from the high building. But, please don’t tell about it anyone.

• 5. At 6:15pm on 09 Jan 2012, gabidubini wrote:

As a child I was afraid of the dark. My middle sister scared me behind the doors!!

• 6. At 8:09pm on 09 Jan 2012, hedy wrote:

I have a fear of English. I have studied English since I was 12 years old. My pronunciation is so bad and my classmates often jeered me. So, when I meet foreigners, I am really afraid. New, I must overcome to study English!

• 7. At 8:40pm on 09 Jan 2012, mauros wrote:

My fobia is snakes, while I am in the woods or climbing a mountain I'm terribly scared to tinadvertently touch them, although I always realize that their fobia of me is far more bigger. In the mean time I also admire the objects of my fobia how gracious and perfect they are in their movements and in the camouflage.

• 8. At 9:42pm on 09 Jan 2012, Tofuuuu wrote:

I have fear of jellyfishes. Sometimes I don't go into the sea because of then.This is embarrassing!

• 9. At 10:58pm on 09 Jan 2012, Tromboneacoulisse wrote:

Poor snake, spider, dogs..... childishness!
      I have a phobia : nuclear power plants

• 10. At 11:31pm on 09 Jan 2012, kikirara wrote:

I'm really scared of flies. I don't know why I'm so scared of them, but their shapes and colors and how they fly are always irritating me. I'm so scared of them that I can't kill them. When a fly comes into my house through the window, I just wait for it to fly away through the window. Flies in UK are much biiger than those in my country, so I have had much more fear these days.

• 11. At 01:25am on 10 Jan 2012, tenocht wrote:

I am afraid of dogs because when I was a child a dog bit my leg.

• 12. At 03:25am on 10 Jan 2012, duyanh wrote:

When I was young ,i really scaried darkness and ghosts. When i was going to sleep in my room in darkness, i always had phobia about there are any ghosts were there. Now i am not used to have any fear in my room but sometimes when i go somewhere which is very dark and quiet, my phobias comes again.

• 13. At 03:38am on 10 Jan 2012, Murilo wrote:

I'm afraid of dog because when I was a kid, I was bitten by one.

• 14. At 04:47am on 10 Jan 2012, Doris wrote:

I am really afraid of cockroaches, no spiders, no burgs, just cockroaches. Specially for some which can fly, that's very terrible. I hate that.

• 15. At 09:18am on 10 Jan 2012, Shine05 wrote:

I dislike mouse, that fear could so called "mousialphobia". In the consequences I could not like Mickey though it is very cute as many other people think

• 16. At 09:21am on 10 Jan 2012, Sabina wrote:

I have fear from dogs.

This Christmas one of mi presents was a ultrasonic dog deterrent. This thing repel unwanted dogs. Now I'm feeling more safe when I go out. :)

• 17. At 10:50am on 10 Jan 2012, narrosgirl wrote:

I distinguish phobia from precaution or fear of a real threat. I think when I take precautions because I see a snake in my village isn't a phobia. There're some little vipers very .
      I think when I'm carefull with big dogs whom I haven't met before, it hasn't to do whith a phobia because big dogs sometimes can be dangerous.
      However, my fear of the highs is a phobia when I'm not in danger. And I'm not in danger a lot when a butterfly comes in my house, but it make me to shake like a leaf. I like butterflys in open air, I love them, but I don`t support them indoors. This is a stupid phobia. Mercifully, I've achieveded beat it a little since I'm living on my own, since I became mother. I can't ask for help to someone!
      Any way a lot of fobias were necessary for human being to survive in the Prehistory, so they are instictive and they allowed us to avoid dangers. Now dangers are changed and we'd have to be afraid of other things like nuclear power stations, of course.

• 18. At 11:27am on 10 Jan 2012, Din Islam wrote:

I have height phobia. When I think about falling from a plane with or without parachute I become frightened. Or when I think about looking down from the top of a high storied building I become astonished thinking that if I fall from that place what would be the situation of mine! Sometimes I dreamt of falling from a top place and awake with screaming. I can't think anymore when thought come in mind that I'm falling and falling. My breath stopped and my feelings freezes.

• 19. At 11:34am on 10 Jan 2012, Warasiri wrote:

I have a fear of time because I have the impression that it is going so fast. I am afraid not having enough time to learn new things.

• 20. At 11:52am on 10 Jan 2012, luscinia wrote:

I have a fear of cockroaches.

• 21. At 1:14pm on 10 Jan 2012, Janetta wrote:

I'm afraid of dogs, but I like puppy. Could one call it's phobias. I don't know. I dislike night bat, mouse and snake, but I have never seen in reality. I watch of them on TV. Is it phobias? May be. I don't know. I realy have anxiety when I look down from very high building

• 22. At 2:56pm on 10 Jan 2012, Emanuelrocha wrote:

I have never been on bad terms with any animals, and so used I to be when it came to cockroaches, until one day I found out they could fly. I was trying to catch a fellow of theirs when it crawled up the leg of the kitchen table and I lost track of it. I bent down and looked for it under the table, but it apparently was nowhere, that is, until I felt something moving on my back. There it was. Fortunately, I was wearing a t-shirt. Otherwise, I think I'd have died that very moment.

• 23. At 10:08pm on 10 Jan 2012, yavuzyolbir wrote:

my phobia is cockroach. it's disgusting, buy I can't harm any insects and animals....

• 24. At 01:30am on 11 Jan 2012, takahashi wrote:

• 25. At 01:30am on 11 Jan 2012, si_chan wrote:

Do one good thing each day! I wanna be good at cooking! I wanna cook for my mom.and I gain more Engish vocabularies.I'm gonna go to abroad to study English.and save money:)

• 26. At 01:31am on 11 Jan 2012, yuuuuuuuri wrote:

• 27. At 02:24am on 11 Jan 2012, risamamachan wrote:

I have a fear of cockroaches. I know they aren't particularly dangerous but it really irritating me a lot. When I was a child, my mom got rid of those bugs, however, now, I have to do by myself. It's very scary. I use insecticide. I want to move apartment without such kind of insect.

• 28. At 08:10am on 11 Jan 2012, YGeikhgthzenith wrote:

I am afraid of cockroaches or any insect that can fly! So also height! I dare not look down form heights!

• 29. At 11:21am on 11 Jan 2012, JosepLl1969 wrote:

When I was a teenager and also in my twenties I had some phobias, in fact, I was scared of many things. But nowaday I have been able to get over most of my old phobias.
      And I really live far much relaxed now. I strongly recommend you try to forget your scares but I also know that's not so easy

• 30. At 12:33pm on 11 Jan 2012, Badr wrote:

Me also I have problems with spiders fortunately there are not big ones when I live

• 31. At 12:42pm on 11 Jan 2012, Madowina wrote:

I can't stand when things are not aligned in a room. For instance if the table is crooked and their edges are not parallel to the walls.

• 32. At 2:49pm on 11 Jan 2012, violaquynh wrote:

When a child, I 'm afraid of a cat.Really, the cat is very lovely but I don't like. I have a fear of their eyys.

• 33. At 3:45pm on 11 Jan 2012, TungNguyen wrote:

The first thing i'd like to say that i'm have a extreme fear of insects especial cockroach. I don't know why i'm so scrared them when I can completely kill them with a light blow.I think that the reasons are the way they fly, their colour, and their legs .Fortunately,my house is very clean so i don't have many chance to meet them,but sometimes when i see them i often ask someone for help or run away them.My phobias is ridicious with a man i think but i know some of my friends who have a same phobia like me!:D

• 34. At 4:43pm on 11 Jan 2012, gibear wrote:

i cant stand things linked to money.its really irritating, i also have problem with managing my budget.

• 35. At 8:23pm on 11 Jan 2012, svetlana wrote:

I`m afraid of heights. When I was a child, I had to ask my brother or sister to pick cherries from the tree that was in the yard. Sometimes they wanted, but sometimes they did not. I was able to climb up the tree, but there was a problem when I had to come down. When I looked down, I felt dizzy in my head. I was afraid that I would fall and get hurt. However, I am not scared when I climb a high building or bridge, or when I fly by plane as some people have a fear that a plane would crash. When I red previous comments, I found that Din Islam dreamed of falling from a high building. I also have the same one. When I wake up I`m upset but I do not scream. And I`m happy that was just a dream.

• 36. At 09:10am on 12 Jan 2012, soehtut wrote:

i am not used to afraid of animals but shrew and house lizard are disgusting.

• 37. At 11:17am on 12 Jan 2012, Kandan wrote:

I have phobia about new place. Whenever I go to any new place to any part of the world, I feel some phobia about how they will think about my attitude since usually in every country they have own rules and different cultures and habits. so When travel to new country, I will be very careful and have little phobia in mind always till I get to settle down or familiar to the place.I hope I will make sure to get a good friend from that country for knowing all the details before do anything :)

• 38. At 7:47pm on 12 Jan 2012, SZK1970 wrote:

I have a specific phobia, think that is the only one I got, I have phobia of crowds. I'm terrified amid the crowd.

• 39. At 8:09pm on 12 Jan 2012, Jesús wrote:

I hate flying and I have flown several times but I can't get used to it :(

• 40. At 8:16pm on 12 Jan 2012, Nazar Y Khaleel wrote:

I was afraid of thinking about death and was wishing I were immortal being when I was a boy. Now I don't feel comfortable thinking about snakes and being on a high place without a fence. It is terrible.

• 41. At 8:37pm on 12 Jan 2012, micg wrote:

I have two big fears: firstly I'm afraid of grasshoppers. Second, sometime I think I'll never be able to speak english well, but anyway, the grasshoppers are worst!!

• 42. At 02:49am on 13 Jan 2012, Alex_Glez wrote:

i have phobia about all kind of insects.

• 43. At 09:44am on 13 Jan 2012, zain74 wrote:

my big phobia is lizard.it's a problem in summer cos i have to check every thing ,the chairs ,the sofa before i sit or lay..it's verey irritating

• 44. At 10:11am on 13 Jan 2012, Asif Hussain Malik wrote:

As a child I was afraid of dogs,still, I don't go past them. I have phobia of not being alone I always feel that I have someone with me even alone at home. But I am not sacred off that phobia.

• 45. At 2:52pm on 13 Jan 2012, castleontheriver wrote:

I do not know if I would use in my case the word phobia. If I admit that I have fear of many organisms that live in warm climate areas: giant spiders, constrictor snakes, carnivorous plants, many insects, worms, crocodiles, leeches, many insects and microbes, and so on. Luckily, I live in a world region where the weather is mild.

• 46. At 3:08pm on 13 Jan 2012, kezia82 wrote:

I am terribly afraid of heights: my hands tremble even when I have to put the washing on the line!

• 47. At 00:05am on 14 Jan 2012, Mustafe yusuf nur wrote:

hi every one, i have some phobias,i hate snakes,spiders and sometimes cats.my wife is different although she is scared snakes and spiders she loves cats and she has one.
      my wife also fear from dark,and often argue light to be off during bed time.

• 48. At 03:42am on 14 Jan 2012, Nelson_Z wrote:

I have a phobia that I am really afraid of the smell of shiitake mushroom, it makes me feel disgusted. :(

• 49. At 03:55am on 14 Jan 2012, Nedira wrote:

Actually I have several phobias. I fair about snakes come in my house. What do you think?

• 50. At 12:30pm on 14 Jan 2012, BABIKER2012 wrote:

WHEN I was achild i,m scared from dogs and cars in streets. and in teeneger condition i,m scared from people special ladies and rish family

• 51. At 11:02pm on 14 Jan 2012, candhida wrote:

I really cannot stand any type of spiders: no diffrence aboutsize, colors.. It started when I was around 13 years old, while I was trying to identify their eyes. I realized then how uggly they are, and how many feets do they have! Brrr!

• 52. At 07:49am on 15 Jan 2012, sdluk wrote:

I'm afraid of electronic equipment. When I was a child, I got electric shock from a table fan and after that this tendency developed inside me. And I also have fear of swimming.

• 53. At 10:03am on 15 Jan 2012, luna84 wrote:

To have a phobia is awful!!! I'm afraid of insects!all of them, so I have a very hard time in summer:( When an insect is near me, I feel so frightened, that I run away, can't see anything, I become mad! In my country I haven't seen flying cockroaches, if I saw one, I would die!

• 54. At 00:07am on 16 Jan 2012, DY Kim wrote:

I am afraid of heght. I can't stand beside the windows in tall building. But taking a airplane don't make fear to me. I think in airplane it can't imagine true altitude of the airplane.

• 55. At 07:31am on 16 Jan 2012, helennguyen wrote:

My phobias? Oh, they are cockroaches, spiders and any bugs that could fly in short way. I think I am influenced by movies, espeacially thrilling movies, so sometimes I have terrible nightmares.

• 56. At 12:51pm on 16 Jan 2012, TTAUS wrote:

I'm afraid of vampire when I was child. Now, I really scare snakes, scorpions and ghost. To be more reality, now i scare i can't get band of 7.0 IELTS and have no money to continue my study. Last one is the age and lonely future

• 57. At 2:33pm on 16 Jan 2012, alex wrote:

I can't say that I have some phobia,may be I don't feel comfortable in enclosed space, like lift, but it isn't claustrophobia)))

• 58. At 5:29pm on 16 Jan 2012, jismy jeneesh wrote:

Yes i have a phobia, phobia on street dogs.When i saw a street dog i'm a little bit afraid and change my side of walk.. I think i started this phobia since i was young, when one dog chase me on the street. But i like pet dogs...

• 59. At 7:14pm on 16 Jan 2012, marylik wrote:

I'm realy afraid rooster for 20 years.When I was child I used to fed chicken and one day I was meeting by rooster and was biting him.Now I try to go around сoop.

• 60. At 06:38am on 17 Jan 2012, Naeemullah wrote:

I have insect's phobia. I'm scared of almost all insects except few like ant etc. The weird of them which make me jump at it's sight or urge me to get rid of that at once, are spiders. Too weird with there tentacles, always make me uncomfortable.

• 61. At 3:08pm on 17 Jan 2012, Beata wrote:

I am a fear RATS, they are a horrible, I hate the rats....and mous and spiders and insects....I don't like to fly by plane,
      I am a little bit afraid about my live..

• 62. At 4:04pm on 17 Jan 2012, tanya259 wrote:

I have a fear of snakes,only seeing them on a tv makes me feel very terrified

• 63. At 7:55pm on 17 Jan 2012, zartasha mustafa wrote:

my phobia is to giving interviews in english it scares me before giving interview or any type of conversation in english speacially infront of english people or my hubby and when i m in this position my hands gone wet and cold , my heart beat is running fastly and i cant speak properly even i cant answer it or feeling ashamed myself and feeling much insult when i cant speak it and this phobia gives me lack of confidense and i m trying to avoid to meet people

• 64. At 4:55pm on 18 Jan 2012, candy wrote:

I am really afraid of lots of lots of tiny insects, like ants. it makes me feel uncomfortable and disgusting.

• 65. At 9:34pm on 18 Jan 2012, Wilson wrote:

I have a strange afraid..my brother used to scared me using animals o monsters pictures..so when I see an image of and animal or a monster or something with blood, or sharpen tooth, or angry eyes..I just paralized..I want to get out running and starting screaming...you can imagine I'm not able to watch any horror movie..

• 66. At 04:20am on 20 Jan 2012, behappy wrote:

I really fear of dog,I fear to touch them.I want to overcome about this but i can't.When i see them,i always walk the other way.

• 67. At 08:54am on 20 Jan 2012, lucka wrote:

I have a phobia of heights, when we go on a tower can not go to the side or look down.

• 68. At 08:59am on 20 Jan 2012, Barbora Mikeskóvá wrote:

I have a fear of height,when I was twelve years old I fell from the tree to the ground.Since then I have a fear of heights.I do not like spiders and snakes.When you see, I have goose bumps.Also I do not like blood.I do not like when my doctor giving injections,then fades and I feel faint.

• 69. At 3:43pm on 20 Jan 2012, Mao wrote:

I have phobia about airplane!
      While riding on an airplane, I can't help imagining the airplane gets crashed. It is said that the possibility of accidents of airplanes is much lower than of cars.
      But this is nothing to do with my anxiety! I am always scared of it.

• 70. At 4:25pm on 20 Jan 2012, love you 12 wrote:

I have a phobia of heights.When I look down from a third floor( it also have a balcony). My heart was beating fast,I feel hard breath.And I scared spider ,a big ,hairly spider.I feel disgusting.terrible feelings

• 71. At 5:34pm on 20 Jan 2012, Luwia wrote:

I have a fear of needles, blood, horror movies,for sure i can't be a doctor, coz that's all scares me so much

• 72. At 00:34am on 21 Jan 2012, Verónica wrote:

I can't stand cockroach since I was a child, they don't bite like spiders but they're so disgusting and the worst thing of the summer time.

• 73. At 09:49am on 23 Jan 2012, choco wrote:

I am afraid of my future right now.

• 74. At 6:51pm on 23 Jan 2012, moroccanman wrote:

I 'm not afraid of my future i dream about my future .I try my best and hard.

• 75. At 09:28am on 24 Jan 2012, Joaquín wrote:

Well, my main phobia is the politicians. I don't know why, but when I hear some of them, I feel very bad like I have food poisoning and come out in my skin a horrible rash. Do you think it's kind of weird or that's the normal thing?

• 76. At 3:46pm on 24 Jan 2012, Nour87 wrote:

I have a fear of inclosed place just like elevator I can`t stand I feel like I can`t breath there is no oxygen

• 77. At 6:16pm on 24 Jan 2012, caduet wrote:

l have phobia maybe so ridiculous in the toiloet wet faucet and door handle l can't touch these equipment.

• 78. At 03:28am on 25 Jan 2012, ketty wrote:

I hate hearing the stories about operation and surgery. Especially when people talk about the process of them, I have a feeling as I'm the one who was operated by doctors. It really makes me get the goose bumps.

• 79. At 7:18pm on 25 Jan 2012, mariajose wrote:

I think everybody have any phobia because always there are some in the life that give us fear; animals, higths, darkness, loneliness, etc.
      I have several things that scare me.
      The principal of all is I'm very afraid of heights and I feel very bad in samll spaces as the elevator. Therefore always I can I try to climb the stairs and don't use the elevator

• 80. At 8:54pm on 26 Jan 2012, Moji wrote:

I've had catphobia since childhood. Whenever I see a cat, I think she might jump on me and scratch my face with his fingers. Seriously, I can't stand them getting close to me. It may sound ridiculous since I come from a country which is famous for its Persian cats.

• 81. At 7:04pm on 28 Jan 2012, Enzo Boggio wrote:

I specially find cockroaches absolutly disgusting. I don't know why... but they're so small and dark and their legs and antennas are soooo long. And also they move so fast!! Absolutly disgusting!

Before if I saw one, I just stepped it, but now I can't even do that: now I have to take the insicticide and shoot it.

[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]

• 82. At 07:40am on 31 Jan 2012, Kelly who wanna Eng fluent wrote:

It may sound weird I have a fear of shrimp.
      cause 5 years ago I ate shrimp pizza that night
      my skin got swollen and I felt so itchy so I scratched all of my body till blood. futhermore I was so terrified cause my face were getting like a toad. It's very terrible and I feel hair rising now.
      I try not to have any food which contains shrimp.
      when I jus see shrimp I feel itchy. so I think It's my phobia.
      I miss the taste of shrimp pizze I used to enjoy. It's really frustrating.

• 83. At 12:51pm on 31 Jan 2012, apsny wrote:

• 84. At 10:36am on 02 Feb 2012, dollex06 wrote:

Ever since I was young I used to have fears of cockroaches, snakes and I have the fear of flying which is somehow unusual. I remember one time, when I could not stop laughing.. back home in the Philippines, when I was watching my favorite evening show, unexpectedly from nowhere there was a cockroach flying and I could see it is starting to come right in front of me, I ran and screamed as if there is a big track that is going to over run me.. I kept on running but the cockroach kept on following me..it went to my face and I took something, and tried to kill the cockroach.. I never have thought that I was holding my sleepers and I slapped my face hoping the cockroach will go away... I could not forget its smell.. ooohhh so stinky!!! I am just lucky that since I migrated here in the UK I did not encounter such horrifying experience..lol...

• 85. At 10:09am on 03 Feb 2012, chadurala wrote:

Afraid snake is a common case but I have phobia about my future life - how can I manage to complete my children higher education, what is the solution to compete or make safe myself and my wife old-age. yes sure we can say financial phobia and I don't feel any phobia other than the above. I believe some of you also feel the same case.

• 86. At 5:23pm on 05 Feb 2012, rasel wrote:

I have some phobias like riding an elevator that make me scared and frightening. One day I went office and got lift after that electricity gone and I was about one hour in that lift just alone was very awkward me to handle myself from frustration and something like any accident. When I relived from lift I promised never ever to get lift for going up. When I was child I was very scared about ghost. My grandmother told me various tale story like some vampire rides in our mango trees at night and if I late for my beddybyes she told me coming of ghosts and kept me their home. Then I ate my dish and went for bed. But then I felt very scary and afraid arriving of monsters, ghosts and vampire. In addition I felt some dreams of that. That was my teenage happenings. But nowadays I feel a phobia when I go my construction site is very high rise buildings, I can't stand on top of the building and see downs, my head is moving and feel I will go down. That is why I am very careful about that. A few days ago I am very awkward to speak English that make me ashamed and feel very shy and nervous. But browsing BBC Learning English Dot Com I am very confident speaking English and prepared myself perfect day by day. Thanks a lot to BBC.

• 87. At 10:15pm on 07 Feb 2012, the_cute_girl wrote:

Hi every one , i have a phobia of crossing roads. before i cross the road i just wait for a long time til no car is seen then i cross running . it's a phobia that makes me look childish and lose my face in frontof my mates. Moreover, listening to people or news speaking about warsmakes me so afraid. i can't stand this topic and whenever hearing bombs and guns i just loose my mind and get into an empty room and pray to feel better . thank you so much BBC team for this website . i realy feel better when writing to you. good luck (^_^)

• 88. At 10:04am on 11 Feb 2012, DienFive wrote:

i have a fear of snakes and heights. when suddenly i see a snake, i really really fear, and i want to avoid it. And, when i am on bancoly, and i look down ground, my heart beat very fast. when i sleep, sometimes i dream about falling down from a tall building.
      i hate this feeling.

• 89. At 3:19pm on 13 Feb 2012, univers wrote:

Hello!I have a phobia of mices .They are just terrible and disgusting.My body start shaking when I see mices, even in TV.I have fear from mices because they "put their noses"everywhere..in the food, in the wardrobe,in the fridge all in all everywhere..

Downloads