Last updated at 13:00 GMT, Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Happiness

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

When you're down, what makes you happy?

Join the conversation. When you're down, what makes you happy? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us:

Shopping is a popular way to cheer yourself up. That's why they call it retail therapy!

A nice view makes some people feel better. Others like having a laugh with friends. And at the end of a bad day, some men said seeing their wife made them happy. Very romantic! But why did the women not say this about their husbands…?

Did you know?

Fact

The leading American psychologist Professor Ed Diener from the University of Illinois says there is no one key to happiness but a set of ingredients that are vital. First, family and friends are crucial - the wider and deeper the relationships with those around you the better.

Language tip

The expression 'to not be a happy bunny' can be used in Britain when you mean someone is annoyed about a particular situation.

Cultural tip

The Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan first invented the idea of using happiness as a measure of good governance. The term 'gross national happiness' was coined in 1972 by Bhutan's then King Jigme Singye Wangchuck.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

When you're down, what makes you happy?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 66. At 1:01pm on 15 Dec 2011, Amy Kwon wrote:

When I feel down, Maybe I'll call my close friends and hang out with them. They always cheer me up! and my parents, I can talk about everything to them. They always cheer me up, too! ^^

• 67. At 1:06pm on 15 Dec 2011, hind wrote:

what makes me happy when I'm down is shopping, specially when i buy beautiful staff that I really like, also watching tv and going out to hang with friends or family, that really makes me feel better

• 68. At 2:20pm on 15 Dec 2011, alex wrote:

When I'm down,I can phone to my girlfriend or meet with her,she has a great sense of humor and always make my mood be better. If it's impossible I turn on my mp 3-player and listen my favorite tracks or go to the local gym, it really helps me.

• 69. At 2:42pm on 15 Dec 2011, kuku watcha wrote:

Listen the favorite music. Especially the music that make we funny.

• 70. At 3:00pm on 15 Dec 2011, satomi107 wrote:

I get happy when I eat sweets, for example, chocolate, cake
    and icecream. I like sweets. And, I also get happy when I see my pet. He is so cute!

• 71. At 4:25pm on 15 Dec 2011, mariatreviso wrote:

I go out for a walk along the river or for a row on the boat, it is a good way to feel the nature and my friends around me

• 72. At 5:08pm on 15 Dec 2011, kezia82 wrote:

Going out with my boyfriend, having a laugh with my friends, reading a new book or eating something tasty :P

• 73. At 6:18pm on 15 Dec 2011, ioanna_g wrote:

the comunication with others ,espesially those that i consider as frendnds cheer me up.

• 74. At 6:40pm on 15 Dec 2011, basak wrote:

When I'm down I try to think that I will remember these kind of tough days or moments as great and funny memories maybe after a year or a few months.Also when I'm thinking about that I eat foods that I find comfortable : sweets,chocolate,icecream,cake...and drink some milk :)

• 75. At 7:04pm on 15 Dec 2011, Mao wrote:

When feeling under, enough sleep and eating make me better.
    Also, watching a comedy on the Internet will bring me happiness.
    I think laughing is essential for you to forget bad things and to become optimistic!

• 76. At 8:05pm on 15 Dec 2011, fferrante wrote:

Well, it happens quite rarely, but a (half)glass of Amarone wine is fine!

• 77. At 02:01am on 16 Dec 2011, Face wrote:

Alcohol!

Beer is men's buddy!

• 78. At 06:34am on 16 Dec 2011, sdluk wrote:

When I am down, listening to some soothing music, talking with friends, reading my favourite book, watching my favourite movie, etc. can make me happy.

• 79. At 09:39am on 16 Dec 2011, Roore wrote:

i'm happy that i register at BBClearningenglish.com

• 80. At 12:04pm on 16 Dec 2011, TTAUS wrote:

I usually get online and surf the internet or read news. Now, I sometimes talk to Siri and she can make me a bit happier.

• 81. At 5:34pm on 16 Dec 2011, beautifulmind84 wrote:

When I'm down , I go to shopping or i sleep for a long time

• 82. At 7:12pm on 16 Dec 2011, tugce can wrote:

talkin with my boyfriend! he's sensible, and funny. ıf we can't speak,ı usually surf on internet, trying to learn interesting things about countries, their traditions, etc.

• 83. At 9:43pm on 16 Dec 2011, delia2310 wrote:

I like good weather like sunshine ideally at the sea, to join good music (and loud of course), my friends and my family especially my mom and my little dog! -yeah that´s make me happy

• 84. At 00:45am on 17 Dec 2011, AlmoChen wrote:

Going out with friends.
    We can drinking nice coffee or shopping together.
    Having a lots of chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 85. At 02:16am on 17 Dec 2011, dragonchild wrote:

When you are down there is a cause always. Whatever you do you cannot cheer yourself up unless the cause is gone. In my case I try to think about the way to open the current situation. Other things can distract me from the depression for a while, but I have to return to the reality later. Even if the situation might not change I am satisfied with that I spend much time to solve the problem. Thinking about it all the time, what makes you down now may happen to invite a good luck in the future.

• 86. At 02:29am on 17 Dec 2011, Paola Nakazaki wrote:

I go out with my friends ,because they make me happy making jokes and that changes my mood , they always help me in all kind of situations, I love them.

• 87. At 05:31am on 17 Dec 2011, shachenka wrote:

When I am down, I usually go out with my friends, might be for see a movie or go shopping, sometimes I listen my favorite music or I read a book, so this make me feel happy.

• 88. At 08:03am on 17 Dec 2011, Karen Luciana Tapia Vásquez wrote:

When I am feeling down, I have good conversations with my family, them with my best friends. Also I can do different things when I am sad, for example I play basketball especially with my brother because I think that the sports can help you.
    However, If I eat ice cream and chocolates I will be very happy all the time!
    Finally I can forget the bad things while I watching a comedy movie or when I leave whith my friends everywhere.

• 89. At 10:19am on 17 Dec 2011, ozgi wrote:

When I break down I usually eat chocolate or ice cream.I think it's an ordinary method to be happy but it works.Mostly I talk to my close friends or my sister about the thing that broke me down.We sometimes gossip or they tell me funny jokes and it really makes me feel better :) I sometimes listen to music to forget my problems but it doesn't work everytime.

• 90. At 10:38am on 17 Dec 2011, JosepLl1969 wrote:

I go to running every other day, usually at nights. I don't do that for improving my mood but my health.
    Nevertheless, if I have had a bad day, running is the best way for me to forget my problems.

• 91. At 11:15am on 17 Dec 2011, Tamuk Kumar wrote:

I like to listen to my favourite piece of music(classical) that boosts me up for future tasks. If this does not work, I try to isolate myself for some time and identify my strengths to overcome the troubling situation.

• 92. At 1:32pm on 17 Dec 2011, Ukboz wrote:

My family makes me happy. I love my all family members especially my mum and my friends I love being with them. I have a friend whose name is ENES he is very funny he makes us laugh and cars I know it's different but I love them they make my happy I always wanted to have an expensive car and get high marks from my exams...! :D

• 93. At 2:52pm on 17 Dec 2011, Qiuzhaoyu wrote:

When I fail my work I'm down. When I work it out or the fail is supplemented, I'm happy.

• 94. At 2:55pm on 17 Dec 2011, Qiuzhaoyu wrote:

Now, a high mark in IELTS can really make me happy!

• 95. At 3:08pm on 17 Dec 2011, eriko wrote:

Friends and beautiful view makes me happy when I am down!!
    Beautiful view means susing sun, sea and sky.

• 96. At 4:59pm on 17 Dec 2011, wolfa007 wrote:

only music can help me when i'm sad. it gives me the hope and belief in myself.

• 97. At 7:08pm on 17 Dec 2011, Bahar wrote:

When i feel down i try to recover from this situation as soon as possible. Conversation with my best friends is a best way. Again listening some part of musics i like it most. Life is a big game and think about It's a funny old world! so up and down is very common. I always try to give my best short to be a happy person. That's it ..

• 98. At 7:34pm on 17 Dec 2011, Arturo Mata wrote:

Regular basis play my guitar

• 99. At 8:15pm on 17 Dec 2011, JuanArnao wrote:

Well, when I feel bad I always look to my friends , maybe watch football or listen to music distracts me. I am also happy when I'm with my family and we started talking about past anecdotes.

• 100. At 9:46pm on 17 Dec 2011, RominaOV wrote:

When I go down sometimes a like to be alone, but then i prefer to be with someone, that helps me, and i dont know why but i love eating chocolates.. a lot, its quite bad :) I like goint out or justa having a good conversation with my mom :)

• 101. At 10:25pm on 17 Dec 2011, asiaw2906 wrote:

I feel happy when I can laugh with my friends and when I fell loved by my boyfriend.

• 102. At 01:38am on 18 Dec 2011, AngelaGonzalesHerrera wrote:

There are many things that make me happy when I'm down. For example watching a romantic movie, listen to relaxing music, hanging out with my friends to the movies or out for a weekend at the club, or have a family dinner, talk to my mom and accept their advice for the next time I feel depressed . :-)

• 103. At 02:19am on 18 Dec 2011, Amanda Hsu wrote:

Having big laugh with my friends and eating some yummy food.

• 104. At 05:37am on 18 Dec 2011, Nazuki wrote:

If I'm down, I play with my cat. My cat is very cute so he heal me. If I cry, my cat worry about me and be beside me.

• 105. At 06:10am on 18 Dec 2011, Sami wrote:

Happiness is being together with family, husband, my daughter and me. And of course you can be happy in different ways, if you are healthy, talented, clever and your have love, and you feel it every moment, you have to feel happiness.

Happiness is being healthy, loved and talented.

• 106. At 07:18am on 18 Dec 2011, Domingo Davila wrote:

When i feel down what makes me happy again is to hang out with friends. When i do it i feel that all the sadness disappears because i spent a good time with them.

• 107. At 09:43am on 18 Dec 2011, asami wrote:

when I am down, I listen to happy music, talk with my friends, watch TV. Those things make me happy. Especially, talking with my friends make me happy. And I could forget unpleasant things.

• 108. At 12:14pm on 18 Dec 2011, algyz200 wrote:

When I am down I listen to ACDC music on the full volume, that charges me with energy.

• 109. At 12:28pm on 18 Dec 2011, fatih ozan wrote:

It's changable. If the cause of unhappiness is feeling lonely,i want to be with my friends,to watch films,to go somewhere.
    If i missed somebody ,specially a girl :) ,i prefer to be lonely,i wanna listen music,watch films..

• 110. At 12:51pm on 18 Dec 2011, wakakooo0521 wrote:

When I'm down, talking with my friend and watching my favorite cartoon makes me happy. I like shopping,so it also makes me happy!

• 111. At 1:03pm on 18 Dec 2011, mrs bean wrote:

As for me, when i'm in bad mood, I often go online and entertain by different methods such as : playing online game, listening to music or reading others' blogs. This is really effective as all they can make me forget my unfortunate and get inspired and motivated to start a brand new day :))

• 112. At 1:19pm on 18 Dec 2011, Subratapaul wrote:

When I am down try to stop to thinking the reason behind it, rather try to think positively which come next. Fix my goal which can make me happy.... It may be listen to music, shopping ,outing with close one, doing exercise, watching TV,reading story book,or anything which keeps my mind occupied.

• 113. At 2:53pm on 18 Dec 2011, Man wrote:

when I'm down , i like go to sleep , because it make me forgot everything. even half hour ,also make me happiness , and see a comedy is a good choose .

• 114. At 3:19pm on 18 Dec 2011, Riru wrote:

When I am down, I watch a comedy program or listen to music. That cheers me up.

• 115. At 5:03pm on 18 Dec 2011, Chie wrote:

When I feel down, I go shopping, watch favorite movie and recorded TV program, listen to music and sleep.
    I like sleep so sleeping on the bed relaxes me, and I can forget unpleasant things if I can sleep.

• 116. At 5:32pm on 18 Dec 2011, polkaodd wrote:

When I'm dawn, I go out to see beautiful landscape.
    AND
    I listen to my favorite music until I become happy feeling ,In a beautiful scene

• 117. At 5:55pm on 18 Dec 2011, Tatsuya32 wrote:

Talking with my friends, eating favorite foods,and listening to music. These things make me happy.

• 118. At 6:55pm on 18 Dec 2011, OnAlbion wrote:

I'm happy when I'm with my friends , when we laugh so hard that we can't stop .

• 119. At 11:35pm on 18 Dec 2011, Yvona wrote:

When I'm down all I have to do is to look at my cats. They put my life worries into perspective siply by just doing what they do.
    Looking at the clouds is another cure for bad times.

• 120. At 01:34am on 19 Dec 2011, imizm wrote:

When I'm down, I often sleep for a long time. I can forget bad things. Sleeping makes me relax.

• 121. At 02:14am on 19 Dec 2011, YinChun wrote:

when i am down, i will have fun with my children, or just thinking how cute they are, and then i will fell getting freshed.
    and also, go to water side is a good idea too.

• 122. At 02:15am on 19 Dec 2011, Youlihua wrote:

What makes me happy is talking with my friends. I have many good friends and they are my good advisers. Therefore, If I am down, I can forget bad thinking.

• 123. At 09:34am on 19 Dec 2011, richard wrote:

I'm not often down, but should I ever be then just looking out of the window where I am now and seeing the view from it would cheer me up straight away. As I see this every day I never get that down feeling.
    We live in SW HUngary in the country and the view of fields and rolling hills is really worthwhile. It's snowing at this moment and we are dreaming of that.......

• 124. At 10:51am on 19 Dec 2011, nazli wrote:

gatherıng with my famıly and also my frıends for communıcatıon and share somethıng, like thıs I mean that I feel happy when I hold together people I love at my sweet home makes me feel happy ! That s enough I thınk ha kkk...

• 125. At 12:28pm on 19 Dec 2011, wenreido wrote:

Always think of your loved ones who cared of you or maybe immerse yourself in nature ...

• 126. At 3:38pm on 19 Dec 2011, Astrid katherine Guevara Bardales wrote:

This video may talk a lot about how to be happy, but they forget that just to be happy with yourself and others, you must be with God, because he is the only one who can give you true happiness and true love, you have many problems, but God is in your heart, and succeed in resolving peacefully. Astrid Guevara Bardales

• 127. At 3:56pm on 19 Dec 2011, Astrid katherine Guevara Bardales wrote:

Long ago, I was addicted to facebook, I liked to comment, upload photos and stuff. But I also like to see news, and thanks to the news I realized that Facebook can be fun but also very dangerous because you may suffer from harassment and your life may be endangered. Facebook can be taken as a hobby but never as an "addiction."
    Astrid Guevara.

• 128. At 4:13pm on 19 Dec 2011, claudia wrote:

what makes me happy when I'm with a bad mood is to spend time with people I love and make me feel good. also when I get distracted in places that make me forget many things and just have fun.

• 129. At 4:32pm on 19 Dec 2011, Robert wrote:

When I'm down I like to play with my children. I enjoy seeing them when they try to speak or to move with their little hands and legs.

• 130. At 7:26pm on 19 Dec 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

Hello

When I down I like to talk with near friend because they understand me. Before I went to store and have buy something such as CDs, tshirts, socks but the more comun was buy ice cream and eat all it. Nowsday I pray and talk with Jesuschrist. He always is oncall and answer me. I read books thsu is good....

• 131. At 01:56am on 20 Dec 2011, PaolaCarpio wrote:

When I am down, talk with my friends and my family make me feel happy. I can share feelings about many things with them.
    Mostly I talk to my close friends or my sister about the thing that broke me down.We sometimes gossip or they tell me funny jokes and it really makes me feel better.
    Listen to music is other thing that I can do when I am down
    Moreover, I often eat my favorite food, especially lasagña or
    some type of pasta.
    Happiness is a thing which is very simple, in my case for example doing something meaningful or useful in life like help the needy people or do charity work thats for me is amazing

• 132. At 07:38am on 20 Dec 2011, AnnaLegkaia wrote:

Waching a couple of my ginger cat - what can improve my mood immediately!

• 133. At 09:06am on 20 Dec 2011, Jannie wrote:

Joining in many activities at some entertainment places is good way to make me funny. However, the best solution is call some buddies to travel somewhere.

• 134. At 09:57am on 20 Dec 2011, Anyuta-Jatuta wrote:

I feel happy when I know that my family's members are healthy and lucky in their business. And I was born in sunday, so I do my faith that it makes me happy.

• 135. At 3:40pm on 20 Dec 2011, JohnGordillo wrote:

when i feel down, i try to relax , i don´t like that way so i play my guitar and sing many song with i´d love to change the world "ten years after " betwen others.
    them i leave my house towards to port eten beach and i hope quietly the sunset, feeling the soft breeze for me is wonderfull to see, fell and heard sonuds of birds and waves with a bottle of wine and close my eyes softly until tomorrow.
    this is one of my best expirience.
    by:
    John Gordillo Orozco

• 136. At 6:36pm on 20 Dec 2011, psilopezr wrote:

The best thing about a smile is that when you are down, a smile can help you to see the reality in another shape. To me, see mi girlfriend cheers me up totally, it is incredible the way she makes me laugh despite all the bad things happen around me, and well that's include a bad day in the university or with my parents. Lately, i was studying an amazing concept, it is called empathy; it's the hability to feel how another person feels, psychologically, and give the solution to thier problem. A smile, a hug or a simple look could help to feel the true happiness that builds the world. I think that go shopping or something like that can give short moments of joy, but the happiness it's a longer process. For example, if i have bad moments i listen music, that release me from the negative thinking, but finally a parent, a brother or your lovely gilfriend it is way much better see the facts from another point of view.
    Luis López Rojas

• 137. At 8:07pm on 20 Dec 2011, Marisol Guevara wrote:

When I am down , I leave my house and breathe the fresh air. I feel that this air is a new air and I think that anything bad has happened.Then I talking with my friends or my sisters and I tell them to go for a walk or see a movie . I like dancing and believe that dancing is consider like sport and I can do when I am down

• 138. At 7:59pm on 21 Dec 2011, ngandu68 wrote:

hi!! when i am down, i am going to buy shoes! Also, now i have one hundres shoes!! i love shoes!!

• 139. At 2:38pm on 22 Dec 2011, opicmy wrote:

I think go out to play football... That is why I always felt health everyday because I kept my time to exercise at afternoon, sometimes, four times a week. In addition, I can get new friends. So, it's not only sport but more than that.

• 140. At 04:31am on 23 Dec 2011, duongtrang wrote:

Hey, feeling bad, there are some ways i often use like: chatting with my husband or my close friend and then force them to go out to enjoy some funny films or some our interesting food, if can not go out, staying at home, listening some music and making a delicious meal are the good choices.

• 141. At 09:20am on 23 Dec 2011, cuongnk007 wrote:

When i am down , i hang out with my friends , drink some coffee and chat with them^^.

• 142. At 10:43am on 23 Dec 2011, Julia wrote:

When I am down, I need to talk about it with my friend to ask for advice and her point of view. Another way is tatal work, to forget about something. And if you have holydays or something you can go to a trip, the change of a place makes fantastic things.

Don't worry, be happy.

• 143. At 11:12am on 23 Dec 2011, Sahar wrote:

when i feel down.. i watch TV , learning English on BBC , call my mum ... read my books ... if my children in their nursery may be go out for shopping ..

• 144. At 12:33pm on 23 Dec 2011, amirelnaggar wrote:

when i fell down , i prefer to see my kids they help me to cross my problems because they usually do something laughing me or say some words make me happy like dad we love you and so

• 145. At 6:01pm on 23 Dec 2011, mouh wrote:

when i'm down, i generally try to take a deep breath and think about the futur.... i dream of the moment i'll reach my goals, and the most important thing is the day i'll be next to my wife " the girl i always loved "

• 146. At 6:35pm on 23 Dec 2011, selcuk wrote:

When I feel down, I usually take shower and then lay in the bed whole day in order to think about the problem. Or I tell my mum and she encourages me against all the troubles. Sometimes I go out to hang out with my friends. And I watch Cem Yılmaz (a turkish comedian) cause he is really funny and when I watch him I immediately become cheerful.

• 147. At 08:42am on 24 Dec 2011, soehtut wrote:

when i am down,i used to play football with my friends and hang out with my girlfriend.i also like emailing friends and comment on facebook that make me feel good.

• 148. At 10:25am on 24 Dec 2011, Ouchy wrote:

When I am down, I go out to walk my dog by the countryside. This does not only change my mood, but is also good for my health and makes my dog happy.

• 149. At 1:46pm on 24 Dec 2011, seray- wrote:

when I'm down,eating chocolate or sweets,listening to music,talking to my close friends or hanging out with them make me feel better I also talk to my mum she always makes me laugh :)

• 150. At 10:25am on 26 Dec 2011, Min wrote:

When I'm down, I usually listen to music and do something crazy.

• 151. At 06:44am on 27 Dec 2011, doseizetheday wrote:

i love being with love one liying on the grass seeing the blue sky. there would be a talk but it's not necessary sometimes. i draw something and he read a book he likes. just being together is happiness. have same feeling without express.

• 152. At 07:40am on 28 Dec 2011, Heavenly Siesta wrote:

I ride my mortorcycle. Feeling the wind right into your face makes all my stress blow away. Stress is like a dust to me.
    Try to ride mortorcyle, its very different than driving a car. Oh yeah and it surely gives me happiness.

• 153. At 11:43pm on 28 Dec 2011, kikirara wrote:

When I'm down, eating delicious foods makes me happy. But when I'm absolutely down, I have no appetite. In that case, I contact my friends and let them listen to my complaining.

• 154. At 4:44pm on 31 Dec 2011, mln95 wrote:

When I am down, I just wait until this bad moment dissapear. I do not do something special ou have a specific ritual to make it dissapear.

• 155. At 07:27am on 01 Jan 2012, adelin jenny wrote:

when i'm unhappy i always go for s walk and talk with my friends. i can't sit alone. i'm scared of isolation. My happiness is going shopping, listenning the classicall music, sleeping all day long, especially calling my mon because i stay from my mon

• 156. At 11:44am on 01 Jan 2012, mee272 wrote:

When I break down, I'll have time to think what did I do and what the mistake after that I'll talking someone, who can make me better.

• 157. At 12:48pm on 03 Jan 2012, Syed Mohammad Zohaib wrote:

Happiness is a part of life, which come after a long hard time or hardship, this is natural affect of happiness. When i am down i use to call my buddy and go for outing or spend some time exchanging experiences with each other. Moreover, contentment can only be attained from your family. Despite the fact having sincere friends.

• 158. At 11:24am on 04 Jan 2012, elvin1988 wrote:

when i am down i am talking 5 minuts with my mother she makes me the happiest man in the world.

• 159. At 8:26pm on 05 Jan 2012, cem kocagoncu wrote:

when i need to feel better, running is going to be a good way to feel happy.

• 160. At 05:21am on 08 Jan 2012, duyanh wrote:

When i am stress or unhappy, i occasionally go to park. I breathe new air and feel relax and peaceful in there. Sometimes, i listen to music and it is such a good therapy to overcome my mood. Talking with my friends in coffee bar that can help me to tackle this issue.

• 161. At 12:16pm on 14 Jan 2012, Marc wrote:

If i'm feel sad, i go for a workout to grow up my mood an relieve stress. Besides in summers i go out for relax in the sun, or do some sports outside. If i feel isolated i need to go out with friends to laught, socialize and share my thoughts while having a dinner or drink. This is my relative simple way for happiness and a pleasant life balance.

• 162. At 8:09pm on 18 Jan 2012, d6ominika wrote:

Eating chocolate, but after i feel even worse when i think that i ate too much :D And of course my lovely friend always know how to cheer me up :)

• 163. At 1:06pm on 19 Jan 2012, Fanou wrote:

As for me, driving my moto and talking with some friends make me happy when I am down.

• 164. At 09:58am on 22 Feb 2012, Trung88vn wrote:

In my opinion, taking conversation with my parents or best friends always is the best way which makes me happy. Besides, i also often listening my favorate songs when i'm down.

• 165. At 1:51pm on 22 Feb 2012, rasel wrote:

When I feel down and upset I go to river side and enjoy the wider of river that goes away beyond my eyes makes ma happy. Then I eat peanut and something like ice-cream and milk candy. Sometimes I go to cinema hall to watch romantic movies that get myself so happier. It is also notable that have a coffee or tea with my friends are better to get happiness at the time of boring. Sharing how is my days to my girlfriend is also enjoyable when time is very setback for me.

Downloads